Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 25th, 2024, 4:02pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Oh dear!!!  James Bond Smoke Screen »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Oh dear!!!  James Bond Smoke Screen
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Oh dear!!!  James Bond Smoke Screen  (Read 485 times)
DJWerkz

Email

Oh dear!!!  James Bond Smoke Screen
« on: Jul 17th, 2006, 8:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Had a service on Friday, everything was fine but yesterday was driving along and quite suddenly noticed what appeared to be smoke coming from the rear of the car.  Very quickly it got worse and the rear window (estate model) got totally smeared with something.

Was very close to home thank goodness and when I pulled up on the drive (reversing in) first noticed a liquid trail on the road and after getting out and looking at the back of the car spotted it was covered with oil!

The smoke was obviously from oil being sprayed onto the exhaust.

Brother-in-law has just come over and jacked the car up to take a look and found oil leaking from the rear of the crank case and behind starter motor.  He says he thinks it must be the rear crank oil seal.  I have checked the 'Scoprio How To' pages and can not see anything pertaining to the rear seal, only the front so can anyone point me in the right direction?  It's a 24v Cosworth by the way.

Any other ideas on this topic appreciated.

Note:  Temperature level never rose and oil light never came on while driving.
IP Logged
wudz

Accrington who?

View Profile Email

Re: Oh dear!!!  James Bond Smoke Screen
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17th, 2006, 8:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, not really an answer o your question, but as an engineer I know things do happen out of the blue.  
I think I would check if too much oil has been used on the refill as sump pressure can cause your problem if the car was overfilled..Hard to be sure if you have lost any excess, but worth checking the level now...

Cheers

John Smiley
IP Logged
solarpanel

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17th, 2006, 9:02pm »

is it engine oil or transmission fluid,i have had two auto box front seals go in the past oil pours out of the bell housing area
IP Logged
hellblue

Ill have silver,it dries just as fast !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17th, 2006, 9:59pm »

yes the auto box front seal is a week spot on this box, most likly to go in hot weather when towing, if the oil is red, its the box oil.
IP Logged

Gary
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 17th, 2006, 10:06pm »

Is it a 'box out' jobby to replace the seal?

Thing is I would not described the oil as red in colour, more a brown colour.  Mind you, if the auto box oil has been used for a while surely it would not be too red in colour?
IP Logged
hellblue

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 17th, 2006, 10:27pm »

If the oil is brown its past its sell by date! if its been changed @ service times it should only be off red at worst, pull the dipstick & smell the oil does it smell burnt ??if so then the box may soon need an overhall anyway. i would drop a spot of each oil on some white paper if your not sure to see whats on the floor as fresh engin oil will be light brown, either way the box will be coming out,check oil cooler pipes just in case?
IP Logged

Gary
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 17th, 2006, 10:40pm »

Oil in gearbox has only been in since October last year and the car has only been driven approx. 4000 miles since then.  Gearbox was out of the car at the tie together with the engine and we totally drained the old oil and re-filled with new auto oil.

I doubt whether it would be brown in light of this, but I will smell it tomorrow.

Will try the white paper test too.  From what I've seen so far I would say the oil is light brown, very much like the new synthetic oil we've just put it in Wink

If it is engine oil can someone calrify the rear crank seal issue for me and where I can find the workshop manual on this too?
IP Logged
hellblue

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 17th, 2006, 11:21pm »

I have the ford tis on disc if i can copy it somewhere, it covers the 24v strip & rebuild, engine oil pres. .9 bar tickover......     2 bar 1500 rpm
IP Logged

Gary
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 18th, 2006, 7:10am »

Whole content of the Ford TIS DISC is on the main site the gear box manual is here for the auto box   GEARBOX

It is one of the many things that FORD (Europe) gave the site permission to do and supplied the disc to us .  

If the oil is being sprayed onto the exhaust then it is coming form a pipe which is under pressure. Look to the power steering pipes and the gearbox oil cooler pipes before taking the gearbox out.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 18th, 2006, 7:53am »

Not again DJ Huh

Crank seal can go if the engine is over filled or maybe it's the over fill causing it check first.

If your sure it's engine oil it must be a hell of a leak, maybe the seal has blown out?
Is it using oil?

If so yeap it's gearbox out job, torque converter off & starter ring off then you can get the seal out.

Goodluck.
IP Logged

Dave
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 18th, 2006, 8:42am »

Hi DJ,

Just a thought, seen this before, if its just been serviced, it is very easy to displace the oil filter, AND, (ENGINE), OIL COOLER rubber rings, as its in a bit of a tight spot.  This would cause oil spray on your bell housing area, well worth a look before dropping the tranny out !
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 18th, 2006, 11:46am »

Did the white paper test this morning and it is exremely difficult to tell the difference between the new engine oil and the gearbox oil that's been in since October last year.

If I had to make a guess as to what the dripping oil best resembled I would lean towards the gearbox oil as it is a fraction darker than the engine oil.

Anyway, have arranged everything for the gearbox to be removed by my brother-in-law so might as well do the transmission seal and crank seal too.

(Also found my rear passenger side CV boot was split so going to take care of that as well).
IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jul 18th, 2006, 9:35pm »

...sorry forgot to mention that none of the oils were over-filled.

Got a price on the gearbox oil seal today from Ford Parts UK, quite cheap but they are telling me that the rear crank seal is only sold as part of the engine gasket kit at £200  Shocked
IP Logged
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Jul 18th, 2006, 9:56pm »

Craig you can use the 12V one, any motor factor should have one, about £4 I think.

Or from Ford (6803967), it is the same as the 24V one.

So you think it's the gearbox now, must admit sounds more likely to me.
IP Logged

Dave
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 19th, 2006, 8:16am »

Thanks Dave,

Will check out the 12v crank seal.  Anyoen point me in the right direct on the 'How To' pages (workshop manuals), the only details I can find is for the front crank seal?

We are going to replace the rear crank seal and front gearbox seal, might as well seeing as te gearbox is coming off.

IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jul 19th, 2006, 10:55am »

Just been to Ford's and they have ordered me the seals I need.  Interesting that the rear crank seal is part of a gasket kit but it's only £18,...not sure where Ford Parts UK got £200 from?!  Shocked
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.