Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 25th, 2024, 8:54pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« rumble in the jungle »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   rumble in the jungle
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: rumble in the jungle  (Read 566 times)
MEATMAN

IF I DIE I FORGIVE YOU IF I SURVIVE WE SHALL SEE

MOGIL0
View Profile

rumble in the jungle
« on: Jul 20th, 2006, 8:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi
slowly getting round to fixing my car up for MOT
after checking fluids i left my expansion tank top off,
now it is probably unrelated but i have now developed a rumbling noise from somewhere.
i cant feel it through the steering or the auto select lever,or the foot pedals.
there s no rumble when stationary only when moving and it speeds up with the engine.
on stopping the car after my run with no cap there was a little water loss at the right front wheel the car was parked at a slight angle im presuming this was from the expansion tank as it was just below the min mark
my question is could it be the water pump,
i cant locate the noise even when the wifes in the car and she can hear a flea fart,
the noise doesnt start until ive been driving for about five minutes,
the car has lately been going down to 90 when you interrogate for engine temp but im blaming that on the hot weather weve been having im running with no thermostat at the moment and there is slght water loss at the housing but that will be because i have no thermo in with the rubber gasket.
im sorry this is so long winded but i thought explaining as it happened may help
many thanks
mark
IP Logged
mazzy_j

View Profile

Re: rumble in the jungle
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20th, 2006, 10:06am »

Hi Mark, Couldn't be an infamous rear wheel bearing on its way out could it?? Maybe also worn engine bearings? If the water pump had gone wouldn't one expect the engine to boil over (especially in this weather) and then cook the head gasket.

Matt
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20th, 2006, 7:43pm »

Either get yourself a stethoscope or use a long broad bladed screwdriver and use it as a listening stick . go around the front of the engive with it and listen for noises you should be able to idetify if it the water pump.  
BUT DO BE CAREFUL
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20th, 2006, 9:28pm »

Next time the noise happens, put the car in neutral and coast if safe to do so.  Does the noise stay or go?  If it's still there then it's likely to be transmission related (propshaft or wheel bearings, etc.), if not then it may be engine related.

Darren
IP Logged
MEATMAN

MOGIL0
View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20th, 2006, 9:43pm »

hi darren,
am i likely to do any more damage by coasting in neutral as the car is auto box.
also i had it out again today for a short run about 5 miles and it was a good 2 miles into the run before the rumbling started i know it sounds stupid but i turn my head whilst driving trying to locate the noise but it doesnt get any louder or quieter its got me puzzled if it is the wheel bearings do you know if this is an easy diy
and will i have to go grovelling to my bank manager
many thanks
mark
IP Logged
hellblue

Ill have silver,it dries just as fast !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 20th, 2006, 10:42pm »

Hi is the noise engine speed related or road speed, related if you can feel it that bad cant see it being the water pump, deep rumbles could be wheel bearing propshaft joints sound more like an old motor boat !! which you will feel through your bum too! so many things to make noises that sound like they come from all over  good luck...........
IP Logged

Gary
MEATMAN

MOGIL0
View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jul 21st, 2006, 11:51am »

hi darren
have had a run today put it in neutral and the rumble is still there so now assuming rear bearings or propshaft  
is there any way i can check these without stripping everything out would the rear wheels wobble when raised or would there be a lot of play in the propshaft
many thanks
mark
IP Logged
MEATMAN

MOGIL0
View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:53am »

hi folks,
have got the car jacked up at the back and their is oil all over the parish,it seems to be coming from where the propshaft fits into the diff does anybody have any idea where i can get an oil seal and bearing on a sunday near carlisle
many thanks
mark
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.