Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 6:27pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Head gasket or craked head on 2.3 »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Head gasket or craked head on 2.3
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Head gasket or craked head on 2.3  (Read 788 times)
deefer

Based in Estonia

View Profile

Head gasket or craked head on 2.3
« on: Jul 22nd, 2006, 9:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

Can anyone recommend any way at all I can tell if it is the head gasket or a cracked head that I have on my 2.3

A few weeks ago the engine overheated caused be a broken intake manifold, now when the engine is at running temperature it leaks water on the exhaust manifold side of the engine, but so little I cannot see where from exactly, sometimes it can be heard when the engine is turned off as a drop hits the exhaust manifold.

It currently loses about 1 liter of water for every 4 hours of driving.

IP Logged
deefer

Based in Estonia

View Profile

Re: Head gasket or craked head on 2.3
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30th, 2006, 6:11am »

no one ?

IP Logged
bizzay1

1997 Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 30th, 2006, 8:35am »

If you are going to have the gasket done get the head crack tested when it is removed, think that is about the only way you'll find out on this one I'm afraid
IP Logged
john_smiffy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 30th, 2006, 9:02am »

does it have a water cooled inlet manifold that might be dripping on exhaust manifold as the exhaust manifold is higher than head gasket area so could not dip onto it  

just a thought as you have just had inlet done
IP Logged

cheers
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 30th, 2006, 10:36am »

id say it's the gasket, ive seen 2 2.3's that have had the inlet crack and the head cracks between a bolt hole and water channel between cylinders 2 and 3, if it's leaking onto the exhuast then id be supprised if the head has cracked,  

check the water and oil for signs of contamination (both 2.3 i saw the oil had got into the water)

here is a pic of the 2.3 head, the bit ive circled is on the inlet side between cylinders 2 and 3, thats where both the 2.3 i saw had cracked, its' very small and easliy missed unless you clean the head up, goes quite deep down

if you have this then it's a new head for you Sad
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
Lynne69

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 30th, 2006, 3:44pm »

That's the exact same place my 2.3 cylinder head was cracked, got it checked twice and was told there was nothing wrong with it
IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 31st, 2006, 2:24pm »

it is hard to see unless you get all the much off it, both ive seen go quite deep into the holes
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
RichardMS

More mods coming soon !

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 31st, 2006, 10:04pm »

on Jul 30th, 2006, 10:36am, Matt wrote:
id say it's the gasket, ive seen 2 2.3's that have had the inlet crack and the head cracks between a bolt hole and water channel between cylinders 2 and 3, if it's leaking onto the exhuast then id be supprised if the head has cracked,  

check the water and oil for signs of contamination (both 2.3 i saw the oil had got into the water)

here is a pic of the 2.3 head, the bit ive circled is on the inlet side between cylinders 2 and 3, thats where both the 2.3 i saw had cracked, its' very small and easliy missed unless you clean the head up, goes quite deep down

if you have this then it's a new head for you Sad

Same place as my first one went, You need it pressure tested for you to know for sure, If it is ok then i'd get it skimmed too, If not then a new exchange from Fords two years ago cost me £450, Inlet manifold £230, Check this when you get it as when I went to put the manifold on I found they hadn't finished it, no brass inserts at all Angry
IP Logged

deefer

Based in Estonia

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Aug 5th, 2006, 9:18am »

on Jul 30th, 2006, 9:02am, john_smiffy wrote:
does it have a water cooled inlet manifold that might be dripping on exhaust manifold as the exhaust manifold is higher than head gasket area so could not dip onto it  

just a thought as you have just had inlet done

I have only patched up the manifold, so it is a possibility, the temp is normal when running, no water in oil. The only thing that happens is the temp gauge starts droping / rising when it starts to get low on water (after losing about 1 liter), guessing that this is because the temp sensor is not totally covered by water.

I only have enough money to either a) get a new intake manifold or b) get the head gasket replaced at the moment, so not really sure what action to take Sad

IP Logged
RichardMS

More mods coming soon !

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 5th, 2006, 2:57pm »

Well I would say that the inlet manifold has posibly gone due to the head/ head gasket gone, That's why mine went and they always seem to go in the same place, on top just behind the thermostat housing.
When I bought my car I didn't know the head gasket had been done not long before and I think they got shot of the car knowing this was going to cause more problems soon as the head was cracked.
New head, inlet manifold and £900 lighter it went again approx 2/3 months down the road, I now have a second hand engine (two spare in garage Wink)and it seems fine now but I have changed the rad as I think this some of the cause of my troubles.

So the choice is yours, Good luck whatever you decide.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.