Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 8:22pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« has my head gasket gone »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   has my head gasket gone
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: has my head gasket gone  (Read 524 times)
arizona

I'm a YaBB newbie! 20 16 v ultima in blue 94

View Profile Email

has my head gasket gone
« on: Jul 30th, 2006, 10:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

i had a problem with my expansion tank boiling over. i tried checking for an air lock by runing the engine wiv the heater set to hot and the cap of the expansion tank. it did nothing the level did not rise or fall and it dident spill out or gurgle. i took the car for its mot on friday. when the mechanic brought back my car he informed me that he could not do the mot. he siad when thay were reving up the engine for the emission test the expansion tank was boiling over and was chucking out water faster than he could get it in. he told me that my head gasket had gone and it would be 450 pounds to fix it and he would have to send the head away for skimming and it would take 3 days. i am confused as if my head gasket has gone why is my oil not emulsioned or any sign of blue smoke from the exshuast and the car still seems to drive ok am i been taken for a ride.
IP Logged
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

Re: has my head gasket gone
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30th, 2006, 11:01pm »

Firstly what engine.
Second it does sound like it but have you just drained & refilled the system or did it just start pressurising one day?
If you have antifreeze in the system you can sometimes smell it from the exhaust or there will be bubbles appearing in your coolant tank on tickover or upon reving the engine if the gaskets gone.
No water in the oil just means that part of the gasket is still good.
IP Logged

Dave
arizona

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 31st, 2006, 12:19am »

sorry my engine is the 20 litre 16 valve ultima on a m reg. it started to boil over 3 days after i bought it and i hadent touched the cooling system at all. the problem gets worse when i drive up hills. but is getting worse overall. i could never understand why it never over heated or boiled over when i was driving it and only did it when i turned of the engine. the car starts first time and ticks over great no noise or taping and no smoking and drives fine. should this be the case if the head gasket has gone. thankyou.
IP Logged
wellard

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 31st, 2006, 9:18pm »

does your car overheat only when you are stationary with the engine ticking over,if so,do the cooling fans cut in and out? if it overheats going along it could be the water pump has failed.it sounds like the first to me as the mot requires the engine to be revved for the emmisions test, if the fans do not work the engine will overheat and chuck the water out the expansion tank.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31st, 2006, 11:51pm »

Does the temperature guage read normal?
IP Logged
Baw_Flinger

Ex 2.3 owner..... Snif

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Aug 1st, 2006, 11:02am »

Also, is the top rad hose solid/ballooning? If so, it sounds like HGF Sad
IP Logged

arizona

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 1st, 2006, 7:14pm »

thanks for all your help guys but allas all in vain my worst fear has happend. in the end i had to take it too a garage and the head gasket has gone. i got a price of 400 might as well be a 1000 right now. so my pride and joy is off the road for a few weeks. Embarassed Embarassed
IP Logged
Baw_Flinger

Ex 2.3 owner..... Snif

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Aug 2nd, 2006, 8:54am »

Where are you based mate, my local guy (high Wycombe) will do it for £200-£250 + kit based on 4-5 hours labour if that helps.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.