Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 8:25pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 1995 2.5td lack of power. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   1995 2.5td lack of power.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 1995 2.5td lack of power.  (Read 659 times)
edds

View Profile Email

1995 2.5td lack of power.
« on: Aug 23rd, 2006, 6:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,
         i have a 1995 2.5td . the problem i`m having is that it loses power like fuel starvation. i have checked and even replaced the fuel filter and pipes that run to and from the filter. from 1st start it will run fine for around 1-2 miles then it kangaroos like fuel starvation and even though i hold the throttle down to the floor it stays at 1000rpm, it then slowly rises to 2000 then a burst to 3000 but if i try to pull off it slows right down again. if i leave it for 10 mn then restart it it gose fine for another 1-2 miles. if i just let it tick over it dies after a few seconds. the problem first statrted yesterday while i was on the mway using cruse contol it slowed slightly then went back to normal. the next thing the cc had turned itself off. the only warning lights on the dash is the abs one (been on since i had it) and the airbag light which sometimes flashes now and then.  any help or tips would be greatfuly accepted.

*UPDATE*
Just been out to have another look and tryed to start it , it turned about 9-12 times before starting. when it started it peoduced lots of white smoke and lumpy tick over i reved it and after 1 min the smoke cleared and it was ticking over fine.  Huh
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

Re: 1995 2.5td lack of power.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23rd, 2006, 8:21pm »

Air getting into fuel system?  Happened to mine after changing fuel filter because I got the seals in the wrong order and it was leaking diesel out - took ages to start unless only just stopped.

There's not a lot to go wrong with the older injection system, at least not electrically.

Darren
IP Logged
edds

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 23rd, 2006, 9:59pm »

on Aug 23rd, 2006, 8:21pm, sector-9 wrote:
Air getting into fuel system?  Happened to mine after changing fuel filter because I got the seals in the wrong order and it was leaking diesel out - took ages to start unless only just stopped.

There's not a lot to go wrong with the older injection system, at least not electrically.

Darren
i have now removed the filter and come straight from the fuel pipe direct from the tank.  still playing up
IP Logged
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 24th, 2006, 1:41pm »

White smoke, isn' that usually to do with the head gasket on its way out and water getting into the cylinders  Undecided  

The symptoms you've described (apart from the smoke) happened to mine a couple of times after i changed the filter. First time i had managed to get the little seal in the wrong place, second time i did the filter i was over cautious in doing up the bolt because i didn't want to snap it, a bit of tightening later and all was as normal.

Have you tried a new filter, removing the filter and not replacing the gaskets may cause an air leak because the (squashed) gasket won't be making a good seal.

Matt
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 24th, 2006, 2:42pm »

A friend of mine had a similar problem on his 2.5 diesel.
Turns out that there was water/moisture getting into the tank, due to a hole (not sure where).  
With all the rain we've been having recently then this could be a feasable explanation Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.