Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 26th, 2024, 4:15am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Help!!!!!!! terrible idle and brake pedal was hard »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Help!!!!!!! terrible idle and brake pedal was hard
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help!!!!!!! terrible idle and brake pedal was hard  (Read 520 times)
stafford

Ultima lover!!

View Profile

Help!!!!!!! terrible idle and brake pedal was hard
« on: Sep 5th, 2006, 11:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

the car has been sitting for only 3 days while i have been sound deadening it as some of you know. went to start her this morning ..she started but was running like s***... and the brake pedal was rock hard as well ... she is on lpg and the tanks full and has not been a problem b4..new plugs went in 1000 miles ago ..have no breakdown cover at mo so only drove her up to end of my street and she accelerated ok... any ideas..wouldnt be elecrical would it ive only had front speakers off thats all!!!

cheers lads Huh
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Help!!!!!!! terrible idle and brake pedal was
« Reply #1 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 11:42am »

If the brake pedal is hard it sounds as though the servo is 'exhausted'.Have you knocked off a pipe or disturbed anything near the brake pedal whilst you've been sorting out the sound deadening system? If there is an air leak that would also affect the running.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
stafford

Ultima lover!!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 1:23pm »

hi simmo..i switched it over to petrol and gave it agood 20 mile run and ev is back to normal ..how strange ..my mate says its a ford thing and not to worry i have nt been running it on petrol enouff apparently for obvious reasons wen im LPG.. i get nervous wen gremlins poke their hed up!!!

just joined the AA with £500 warranty claims up to 5 of them a year and cpl breakdown cover for any vehicle for just 17 a month so im well chuffed..they pay the first 500 of any breakdown repair costs!!! details on their site
IP Logged

cossieguy

1996 Cosworth Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 3:01pm »

Alas car must be less than 10 years old and done less than 100,000 miles. Only done 81,000 but car is just over 10 years old so can't join. Looks good for those of you with younger cars though.
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 3:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

One thing that CAN happen with Fords, and I've come across it twice, is that the internal walls of the brake servo pipe perish, and start to collapse under braking.  Rare, but it would explain the pedal problem.

Basically, the pipe goes flat inside, cutting off the vacuum and causing problems just like you're having.

You can sometimes see it flattening out and going soft if you get someone to put their foot on the brake pedal, whilst you watch the pipe
IP Logged
stuartellis

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 5:56pm »

I HAD SIMILAR PROB.PEDAL SOLID,ENGINE IDLING IRRATICALLY.FAULT WAS BURST AIR PIPE FROM SERVO TO INLET MANIFOLD
IP Logged
stafford

Ultima lover!!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 6:06pm »

dont know what was up today but its running lovely again ..just astrange gremlin i suppose had only been sitting 3 days tho!!!
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.