Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 26th, 2024, 6:21am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« abs & traction control »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   abs & traction control
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: abs & traction control  (Read 565 times)
bizzay1

1997 Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

abs & traction control
« on: Sep 11th, 2006, 10:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The warning lights for both of these come on once I pull away, now I seem to remember reading on here about this before but can't find it now - am I right in thinking this points to an abs sensor fault ?? I must add that I think the wishbones need replacing, would this help cause this problem - it's on a 24v '97 saloon by the way
IP Logged
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

Re: abs & traction control
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 10:13pm »

It points to rear ABS sensor possible problems.

Either dirty or possible wheel bearing about to fail usally.
IP Logged

Dave
bizzay1

1997 Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 10:25pm »

thanks for the quick reply, it's in for a pre MOT tomorrow, I've only had it for a couple of weeks and it's still got 2 months MOT, I'll let you all know tomorrow what it fails on along with this new problem
IP Logged
twinturbo

24V's Me game!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 10:31pm »

if the ABS light is out below 10mph and comes on then you have a rolling sensor fault.

Any one of the four can be at fault, it's a little bit more difficult to find out which than a static fault. but if you can find somone with a code reader that will tell you which one need s sorting.  

It may just be a  loose or dirty connection, but be prepaird to replace a sensor.

TT
IP Logged
bizzay1

1997 Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 12th, 2006, 11:34am »

Well, I went to take the cossie to the garage today, started off and NO sign of either of these warning lights coming on  Smiley

Dropped it off for a pre MOT and when I got it back the guy said "if that was in for a test today I would have given it a Ticket No Problems"  Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 12th, 2006, 12:13pm »

Well it will probably come back.

So it's either the sensors need a clean or a wheel bearing.

Do some hard driving, braking etc if it comes on again check the rear wheel bearings.
IP Logged

Dave
wickedteen

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 12th, 2006, 6:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

just remember if its a wheel bearing you may not know till its too late and your hub gets killed by the bearing exploding, so far it has happened to all four of mine, all in a mater of a month, so now i have four new bearings and new hubs, the hubs are ford only and cost roughly £95 each, the bearings are just patten parts at £25 for front and £50 for rear, so best to get them checked, the only way i found to check them was to take them a part as the dont seem to move like a bearing has gone as they are well pressed in to the hub, good luck
IP Logged
Bren

I claim the 5th amendment officer

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 13th, 2006, 7:27pm »

Had the same thing happen on mine today, but I have become quite a believer in "wait a little while and see what happens next" because with the Scorp being a tempremental beast at times...... must be female.

However mine spends a fair amount of time parked in the garage at work for a few days at a time when I am away. I stopped and turned everything off and when I restarted all clear.  Now I am not in any way suggesting that you can ignore it and I WILL be keeping a close eye on the warning lamps.  

Sometimes it's worth asking yourself am I jumping in too quick. But I will still be imagining a wheel bearing grinding itself to oblivion because if we didn't care about these unique motors we would not be devoting all the time we do to them.

IP Logged

Vote WHITTINGTON for London Mayor
kev2scorps

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Sep 15th, 2006, 10:37am »

I have had traction control and abs lights light up on my dash also.  usually the problem went away after a few miles or after the car has been left parked for a short while.  However, on 2 occasions they did not go out!  Turned out on one occasion to be just a dirty abs sensor on the rear drivers side.  3 weeks later, same problem, same dirty sensor, but this time it was not road dirt, it appeared greasy.  car had been making very slight squealing noises at low speed in first gear, most noticeable in multi-story car parks fo some reason, echos perhaps?  This time I removed the hub and roller bearings fell all over the place!  Replaced bearing and damaged hub, and all is fine now.  I was so shocked by how silent these bearings were, and the condition in which I found them, that I brought a spare hub fitted with new bearings on holiday to France recently.  If I broke down, I had the few tools needed to remove and replace the hub.
IP Logged

2L 16V, 2.3 GHIA SALOONS,2L 8V GHIA EST 2L GRANNIE
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 15th, 2006, 10:48am »

If you look at the bearings you guys when you take it off, it is the side wall that fails not the actually surface.
This means you have no play & usally no loud noise either.
Bits of metal in your bearing will eventually cause it to go.
IP Logged

Dave
kev2scorps

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Sep 15th, 2006, 11:05am »

I agree, when I removed a rear hub and roller bearings fell all over the place, the side wall of both bearings on their smaller diameter was totally gone!  There was absolutely no play in the bearing or wheel.  Wonder how long it would have driven like this?
IP Logged

2L 16V, 2.3 GHIA SALOONS,2L 8V GHIA EST 2L GRANNIE
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.