Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 26th, 2024, 6:21am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Foglamps »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Foglamps
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Foglamps  (Read 664 times)
granorpio

1998 Silver Facelift Cosworth

View Profile

Foglamps
« on: Sep 14th, 2006, 12:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi........Can anyone please help  Huh

Some time ago I had a situation where both the rear and the front foglamps wouldn't switch on and neither of the LED indicators on the dash illuminated. Hearing that the lighting switch and multi-plug were prone to melting I examined them to find that they were fine. Still I replaced the main lighting switch with a brand new one .... still no joy.  I then took out relay no. R9 from the main fusebox and cleaned it ......... everything worked again  Grin.

Now the problem has many,many months later returned. This time the rear still don't work but the fronts switch themselves on now even when you only turn the side lights on.  I have so far cleaned the terminals too R9 and replaced the relay with a brand new one and tried the old lighting switch (all still looks ok) as well as checking the bulbs/fuses. Still got some checking procedures to do tonight but has anyone ever had this problem before.  Huh

TIA
Mike
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
kev2scorps

View Profile

Re: Foglamps
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14th, 2006, 1:09pm »

Suspect fusebox!
I haven't had the same problem, but have had problems with my dipped beams.
First the left dipped beam stopped working.  Checked switches, looms, earths, bulbs, fuses, relays etc.
Turned out to be a problem with the fuse box in front of the driver. Power was coming up into the fuse when the light switch was turned on, going through the fuse and down the other side back into the fusebox, but did not reach the big connector at the front of the fusebox that fed the loom which brought power to the lights.  I added an inline fuse and wire from where power for that light was reaching the fusebox, and wired directly to the loom behind the left headlight.
Recently I was in France for 2 weeks, and the exact same thing happened to my right dipped beam.  Same type of repair fixed it.
It looks like the printed circuit board connecting fuses to the big connector at the front of the fusebox may be water damaged, and that damage may be spreading!
Will probably have to do a full rebuild / replacement at some stage.
Hope this may have been of some help,
Kev.
IP Logged

2L 16V, 2.3 GHIA SALOONS,2L 8V GHIA EST 2L GRANNIE
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 14th, 2006, 6:01pm »

Agree

You've checked all the right things, switch, relays, fuses etc. Also check the mulitplugs for the fusebox, mabye one isn't seated properly and there's some moisture getting in there Smiley There's an article on the website somewhere if you want to have a go at rebuilding it yourself Smiley

Good luck, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 14th, 2006, 7:38pm »

The article(s) are  Here.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
granorpio

1998 Silver Facelift Cosworth

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 15th, 2006, 12:34pm »

Thanks guys for the replys.  Wink

Problem now sorted  Grin had an other look last night at it and discovered that relay no. R9

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/images/central_fusebox.gif

will actually fit in the fuse box in two positions at the same location. Naturally I'd put it back incorrectly after cleaning the terminals Embarassed but anyhow that wasn't the actual fault. The fault lay in a dirty connection for fuse no. 15 and this proved to be suspect as well. Although the fuse hadn't actually blown it was temperamental in working so I replaced it with a new one, cleaned up the terminals to it and hey presto all was working again  Cheesy

So the moral to the story is don't check stuff by torch light in the dark  Lips Sealed and always keep your fingers crossed  ROFL

Mike
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.