Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 26th, 2024, 6:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« water behind dashboard »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   water behind dashboard
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: water behind dashboard  (Read 523 times)
Jonny_boy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

water behind dashboard
« on: Sep 14th, 2006, 2:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys, a few of you may remember a couple of days ago I had a problem with no spark and the pats were dead on my 2.9 v6 12v, well I may have a bigger problem than first thought, I came accross a pats module for a couple of quid at my local scrappy and thought I might aswell get it, but when I put my hand around the back of the old module to locate the fixings in my scorp I came accross quite a bit of water and its probably fried a couple of things, any ideas where it might be coming from and any advice on how to strip the dashboard, I've been trying all day, thanks.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: water behind dashboard
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14th, 2006, 3:26pm »

You need to remove the walnut trim, heater controls, radio etc first

Prise the long plastic vent strip that sits below the windscreen (the pats light is in this) upwards
There are torx screws under here that retain the top of the dash.

remove the trim round the gearstick to uncover another couple.

remove the trim at either side below the dash (coin box) to get at the remaining screws
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Jonny_boy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 14th, 2006, 3:58pm »

Thanks Highlander, I'll do that now, cheers.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 14th, 2006, 5:21pm »

The full data on how to is on HERE if it helps
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Jonny_boy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14th, 2006, 6:36pm »

Thanks guys, dashboard is finally out, will have a look to see where waters coming from tomorrow and then I've just got to work out how to put the dashboard back in, will keep you informed on progress, cheers.
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 15th, 2006, 1:02am »

While my car is generally watertight,   there are   occasions,  when   driving  through  torrential  downpours  that water  must get  into  the   bulkhead /dash   area  ( I'm  guessing  through  that   plastic  wiper  grille )  and  for  a  few  days   the PATS  red light  is  dimly on  all  the time when driving   (as you know,  it should  go out  5 secs  after  engine  start  up )  apart from that the  water ingress causes no  other  electrical  problems.
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 15th, 2006, 8:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I had a  problem with water getting into the car earlier this year following 24 hours of torrential and constant rain. Giveaway was that the passenger side floorwell was soaking. May be well worth your while checking out the following.

I should add that this problem happened even though the battery cover was firmly in place.

Water had got into the loom behind the battery, even though the cover was in place. The rain was horrendous.  It had obviously seeped through the grommet, down the loom and into the ECU pin connectors.  The ECU is in a cradle under the glove box. When I removed it (10mm socket needed), the pins on the ECU were corroded and quite a lot of water ran out.  As the ECU controls a lot of engine management functions, it would certainly be worth a look.

It's only a ten minute job to drop the ECU and check it out.

The car was running........but only just, and kept misfiring, stopping, etc etc. Thought I'd broken the car!!  Shocked

In the "Front footwells wet" section of Fault Finder, this problem isn't listed, but might be a good idea if it was.

I've had the battery out since, and thoroughly sealed and waterproofed the whole battery compartment area with underseal, including the grommet.    

ECU was replaced. Thanks to Jonnycab for the diagnosis, and Ady for the part.  No further problems.  Wink
IP Logged
kev2scorps

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Sep 15th, 2006, 10:26am »

3 years ago I bought a 93 Granada hatchback for very little to work on as a project in my garage. The owner had told me that the sunroof was leaking and that the passenger footwell was always getting wet.  I removed carpets, seats etc, and dried out the car.  Sealed the sunroof, but the wet footwell still happened after rain.  Turned out that the large rubber grommet through the bulkhead below the battery was letting water through.  I sealed this with mastic, and the footwell has remained dry since.
Its, worth trying anyway.
Kev.
IP Logged

2L 16V, 2.3 GHIA SALOONS,2L 8V GHIA EST 2L GRANNIE
Jonny_boy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Sep 15th, 2006, 2:38pm »

Hi guys, it looks like the water is coming in through the rubber grommet, it seems to be rather loose, and it looks like its got to the ecu and the pats module as both cradles are slightly rusty and have evidence of water being in contact with them, thanks for all your help.
IP Logged
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Sep 15th, 2006, 11:31pm »

Jonny,
As well as the battery cover, it is wise to check the holes through the bulkhead that allows the plenum area beside the battery to drain, see http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/drainholes.htm
There is actually a warning for this on the centre of the Home page. Even if the battery cover is in place, if the drain holes are blocked then water collects inside the shelf and causes problems on both sides - through the auxillary fusebox wiring grommet and also the main fuse box.
Another cause of water entry into the interior (but which doesn't normally cause electrical problems) is if the Air Conditioning or Climate Control plenum drain plugs are blocked - these should be cleared every year as well: see http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/acdrain.htm  - BTW, some early Scorpios only have one drain plug, on the nearside. Wink  
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
Jonny_boy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Sep 16th, 2006, 7:48pm »

Hi guys, looks like things could be on the up, it looks like water was coming in through a couple of grommets and a small gap at the bottom of the windscreen which I have sealed up, the pats module was full of water so I have now replaced a few of the main components behind the dashboard and have started putting it back together, fingers crossed it starts, thanks for all your help.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.