Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 26th, 2024, 6:26am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Auto Transmission Fluid »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Auto Transmission Fluid
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Auto Transmission Fluid  (Read 570 times)
dxt

I'm an oldie.

View Profile

Auto Transmission Fluid
« on: Sep 20th, 2006, 7:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anyone tried "Lucas Transmission Fix Stop Slip" ?? Its on e-bay at £17 a throw plus postage. Just wondered if anybody had used it and got any results with it. The only problem I have at the moment is when I slow down to a stop and the gearbox thumps into bottom gear.

Cheers d.x.t
IP Logged
solarpanel

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: Auto Transmission Fluid
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20th, 2006, 7:51pm »

try getting the box scaned for fault codes imho putting additives in the box dont generally due much good,far better to put the money towards a scan,local gearbox repairer should be able to do it,or someone local on the site may scan it for you just ask nicely
IP Logged
dxt

I'm an oldie.

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 20th, 2006, 8:19pm »

I'm asking very nicely ...... I live near junction 28 of the M1 if there are any good samaritans out there.?

Cheers David
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 21st, 2006, 5:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Flush and change the transmission fluid and also change the filter. Check the linkage between the shift lever and the box for excess play.  Then see if you still have the problem.

Most of these engine and gearbox 'solve all problem' additives MAY work for a short time, but, as in the case of engines, wear is wear, and the only long term solution is to find the problem and deal with it.

You can throw a lot of money away on stuff like this, and sometimes this sort of 'gunge' can get into oilways, waterways etc etc. and do more harm than good.

"Quote"  
Lucas Transmission Fix stops slip hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks. Its polymetric film renews worn bands to stop slipping. Lucas Transmission Fix stops slip hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks. Its polymetric film renews worn bands to stop slipping. Lucas Transmission Fix stops slip hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks. Its polymetric film renews worn bands to stop slipping. Lucas Transmission Fix stops slip hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks. Its polymetric film renews worn bands to stop slipping. Lucas Transmission Fix stops slip hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks. Its polymetric film renews worn bands to stop slipping. Lucas Transmission Fix stops slip hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks. Its polymetric film renews worn bands to stop slipping. Lucas Transmission Fix stops slip hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks. Its polymetric film renews worn bands to stop slipping. Lucas Transmission Fix stops slip hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks. Its polymetric film renews worn bands to stop slipping. Lucas Transmission Fix stops slip hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks. Its polymetric film renews worn bands to stop slipping. Lucas Transmission Fix stops slip hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks. Its polymetric film renews worn bands to stop slipping. Lucas Transmission Fix stops slip hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks. Its polymetric film renews worn bands to stop slipping. Lucas Transmission Fix stops slip hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks. Its polymetric film renews worn bands to stop slipping. Lucas Transmission Fix stops slip hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks. Its polymetric film renews worn bands to stop slipping. Lucas Transmission Fix stops slip hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks. Its polymetric film renews worn bands to stop slipping.

Well sorry, but 'real life' engineering says different.

Basically. most of these 'magic fluids' that claim to stop wear, and build up parts like new etc etc etc, are a complete waste of money, because sooner or later, you are going to have to tackle the root cause of the problem.  NOTHING will 'renew' worn parts except new parts.

The ONLY time I might use something like this is if I was away from home in a foreign country on a very long journey. It would be used purely as a 'get me home measure'. Then I'd examine/replace/repair the gearbox as neccessary.

A bit like 'Radweld'. It will find a small leak and deal with it, but it doesn't cure the leak. It just masks it for a while. The original problem is still there.  Smiley

IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 21st, 2006, 5:50pm »

Good if you happen to be a car dealer, gettng a car for next to nothing because of a gearbox prob, £17 (probably less through trade Wink) is a good investment.

If the box is near to death anyway or you want to lose the car to some unfortunate soul and say nothing about the 'box (not that a Scorpio owner would do that Roll Eyes), it may be worth a try; otherwise its worth spending the money and doing things properly if you want to keep the car. It sounds though new fluid/filters will sort you out, my 'box had FAR worse symptoms.

This reminds me of the debate over on Jag Lovers a few years back over the best fluid for the old Borg Warner 3 speed on the series 3 XJ's, some gave a smoother shift but as a Jaguar tech pointed out, smoother shift=more wear, reducing the life of the box which should be around 250,000 miles.

A bit like the old sawdust in the gearbox/diff scenario Wink

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.