Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 26th, 2024, 6:19am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« metal ring loose at back of gearbox! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   metal ring loose at back of gearbox!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: metal ring loose at back of gearbox!  (Read 344 times)
kev2scorps

View Profile

metal ring loose at back of gearbox!
« on: Sep 21st, 2006, 1:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,
I recently noticed a rubbing sound when in 1st, 3rd, or 5th gear when braking in my manual Scorp.  The sound appeared to be coming from below the gear stick.

I have checked the oil level in the gear box and it took perhaps a 1/16th of a pint.  (Small weep from propshatf seal).

I noticed a black metal ring around the flexible joint at the rear of the gearbox was free to rotate!  This metal ring should be joined to the rubber vibration damper on the output shaft from the gearbox.

The following link shows the propshaft connected to the flexible coupling, which is connected to the vibration damper, which in turn is connected to the output shaft on the gearbox.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/kev2scorps/propshaftrubbercouplin gandvibration.jpg

The following link shows the vibration  damper connected to the output shaft on the gearbox with the propshaft and flexible coupling removed.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/kev2scorps/vibrationdamperatrearo fgearbox.jpg

(I hope these links work o.k. I haven't posted images here before).

I have coloured the metal ring which has come loose red.

Can I cut this ring off?

or could I bond it to the flexible coupling?

What purpose did the metal ring serve exactly?

OR.....
is it a job where I have to remove the exhaust and heat shields, disconnect the propshaft and replace the damaged part?

The car still drives fine, except for the rubbing noise when braking, (must be the metal ring continuing to rotate freely over the rubber inside).

In fact, last night I attached the metal ring to the flexible coupling using some cable ties.  The original rubbing noise in 1st, 3rd, or 5th gears has disappeared to be replaced with a much quiter rubbing noise when in second.  My guess is that one of the cable ties is rubbing against the gear shift linkage when in 2nd.

As you can appreciate, I would prefer not to have to go removing the exhaust, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Kev.
IP Logged

2L 16V, 2.3 GHIA SALOONS,2L 8V GHIA EST 2L GRANNIE
solarpanel

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: metal ring loose at back of gearbox!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21st, 2006, 9:14pm »

i would not cut it off as its is there to keep it together so you need to replace it.
IP Logged
kev2scorps

View Profile

Re: metal ring loose at back of gearbox!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22nd, 2006, 8:02am »

Thanks,
I have to replace the seal at the rear of the gearbox sometime, have been waiting to do this for when I have to next change the clutch. For the moment though, I have bonded the metal ring back to the rubber inside using some windscreen bonding adhesive and then some silicone sealant.  This appears to have stopped the rubbing noise, without causing any vibration, at least all appeared o.k. on the road to work this morning.  I will get the car up on ramps this weekend and check the repair, and take some photos also.  I know that it is not the ideal solution, but if it holds for a while until I have to change a clutch, I can do all 3 jobs in one go -  
change clutch,
replace prop shaft seal on rear of gearbox,
and replace vibration damper mentioned above.

Regards,
Kev.
IP Logged

2L 16V, 2.3 GHIA SALOONS,2L 8V GHIA EST 2L GRANNIE
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.