Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 26th, 2024, 6:24am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Non starter »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Non starter
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Non starter  (Read 490 times)
crop

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Non starter
« on: Sep 21st, 2006, 6:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi i have just joined and would like to give you all something to think about. I have a 1996 ultima 2000 16v which has done 197,000 but still drives quite well. The problem is when i got it i was told it started first time (and it did) but only when cold,and would not even turn over when hot (after 10-15 minutes driving (again correct) but having to wait up to 2 hours to start it again i have tried to fix it myself. I have taken the starter motor off and checked it (its ok) but now i have put it back on i get nothing when i turn the key, its still not the starter motor i have checked that on the car as well. Any ideas "inhibitor switch" where is it..."relay" is a normal 4 pin relay the correct one as the holder in r11 has more 6 or so it was obviously heat related. As for talking to mechanics at ford dealers all i get is "Dunno" "Thats too old for me to remember" etc etc. Thanks in advance.
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Non starter
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21st, 2006, 7:37pm »

Hello and welcome aboard.

A couple of things to clarify:

Does the car start at all now you've put the starter motor back or is it the same as before?

Is there any heat damage to the relay/fusebox and do the relays look like the ones on here?.

It sounds mode like an inhibitor fault preventing the car starting than a dodgy starter motor, if you have a multimeter it may be worth checking whether voltage is getting through to the starter/ ignition electrics when hot. Can you hear the starter relay clicking when you turn the key and it won't start?

Mabye someone will shoot me down in flames for saying this but if its a manual, mabye it'll push start when hot? may be worth a try.

Regards, Bruce Smiley.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 21st, 2006, 7:37pm »

hi crop

does the car turn over, but not fire? or do you get nothing at all?

check the fule cut off switch hasnt been pressed in, saloon models it's next to the boot latch, estates it's behind one of the tail light bulb covers (i forget which side)

also the fule pump relay can burn up a fair bit, working fine when cold, but sticks when it's hot,

tried disconnecting the battery for 10 mins or so? (does the car have a battery cover?)

matt  Huh
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 21st, 2006, 8:08pm »

Sounds like mine. Replaced a lot of relays, without any difference. Replaced aftermarket alarm with a new Defa, and that seemed to help somewhat. Then replaced the starter motor which helped A LOT, but didn't cure it completely. I have now replaced the battery with a 80Ah one (previous was 60Ah), but haven't had a chance to road test that properly, as the clutch went a couple of days later.
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 21st, 2006, 8:09pm »

ReadTHIS and work through the points mentioned.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
crop

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:30am »

Just to clarify... It is an automatic...the fuseboxes all look in good order...there is a battery cover...there is no power getting through to anything when i turn the key....I have connected a wire to the starter solenoid running up to the battery and if i switch on the ignition and flash the lead the car starts first time so as i said its not the starter motor just no power getting to the solenoid.I am still confused that the r11 relay is a 4 pin when the holder is a 6 pin. And where the inhibitor switch is.
I was an electrician before my accident so if i had a wiring diagram i could have sorted this out by  myself (i think).. many thanks for the replies...Colin.
IP Logged
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Sep 22nd, 2006, 12:52pm »

this may help (and even if the url says sierra, it IS for the Scorpio).
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 22nd, 2006, 3:32pm »

All earth wires ok?
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 22nd, 2006, 5:55pm »

Colin, hope this may help. Just went outside and took a photo of relay 11 and the socket in my fusebox; mine's a 2.3 but they should be the same, I have the 4 pin relay/6 pin socket like you. I removed relay 6 for better access. On the inhibitor switch you speak of, is it the one which stops the car starting in Drive?

It may also be worth checking for voltage on both sides of F13 when hot Wink

Hope this helps, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 22nd, 2006, 8:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

It might also be worth checking that somebody hasn't had some of the relays out, and put them back in the wrong sockets.  Smiley
IP Logged
crop

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Sep 23rd, 2006, 11:25am »

Thanks all i will start by checking the relays, and yes the inhibitor switch + r11 is supposed to stop you starting in gear. thanks. BUT i still dont know where the inhibitor switch is.
Edit...relay is ok so it definitely looks like the inhibitor switch or wiring. can bypass the relay and it starts ok but moving from "p" gives a continuous warning.(this is for testing only and should not be considered a permenant fix) as it bypasses the inhibitor switch so is not safe to leave it like that.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.