Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 10:31am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Serious problem help »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Serious problem help
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Serious problem help  (Read 1831 times)
knights001

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Serious problem help
« on: Sep 26th, 2006, 12:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Being a bit of a diy man (destroy it yoursellf)  Undecided I have caused a major problem on my recently bought scorpio, I hope that someone out there csn help. after buying the car I discovered that the auto dimming rear view mirror had been glued into one position and it kept falling of. so in my infinate wisdom I bought a stick on one and cut the wire going to the mirror. after doing this and driving off I noticed I had no dash readout I.e not milage speed petrol anything also the lecky windows were not working, So I assumed I had blown a fuse no big deal I thought sort it when I get home, so carried onto bank and when I came back to the car it would not start. Called the wife out with a circuit tester and a boster starter but car would still not start and all fuses check out as ok. ended up having to be recovered. have still not fgured out what the problem is, the lights, indicators, radio, and wipers all still work but no dash instruments or lights work and it will click once when you try to start it and that is all. the battery is fine and as I said all fuses are ok. If anyone has any idea at all please let me know.

Cheers
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Serious problem help
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 1:03pm »

Are you getting a code from the PATS. ReadTHIS. And then go to THIS.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
cossieguy

1996 Cosworth Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 1:12pm »

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, but, WHY did you cut the cables? The plug for the mirror sits just inside the roof lining,two minute job to get to and unplug. I suggest you do this in case you've somehow damaged the cables when cutting and their shorting(Unlikely i know!)but i assume you cut them right at headlining so 12v line might be shorting on chassis. Then disconnect battery and reconnect to clear fault memories etc and try turning her over.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 1:20pm »

The first two diagrams HERE will show you how to access the plug.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 2:53pm »

Does sound like the electronics fuses (16 and 17) in the central fusebox (not the one by the battery). Huh
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 6:09pm »

If the battery is ok and the fuses, there are only so many things which can throw down so many circuits at once.  

I agree with Simmo regarding the PATS, if the starter relay is clicking when you turn the key there the relay circuit is working, there must be something immobilising the car.

How long have you owned it? Are you sure this isn't just a coincidence?

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
knights001

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 8:06pm »

Hi All thanks for your replys, not sure on the pats system that you said about will try and check that tomorrow, have only had the car 2 days and think its too much of a coincidence to be a fault accord at the same time as cutting the wire and yes i know how daft I was and found the plug afterwards, had a garage look at it today and he said he had checked all the fuses and feed and it was beyound him and that he would have to send it to another auto electrician. I realy hope its nothing serious as although I have only had the car a short while i realy enjoy driving it. will keep you posted
IP Logged
knights001

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 8:09pm »

just to say apoligies for spelling errors tend to type too fast and do not proof read, Does anyone have any idea were the wiring from the dimmer mirror goes too as it must be connected to the rest of the systems and am assuming it has blown a component somewhere along the line. and just to answer cossieguy yes I have dissconected it via the plug now so no short circuit can occur all be it a bit late Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 8:44pm »

Although it says Sierra THIS is the wiring diagram for the Scorpio
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
hellblue

Ill have silver,it dries just as fast !

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 8:45pm »

I had this,as said above its most likely a blown fuse in the drivers side fuse box a brown 7.5 amp one cant remember its no. though..
IP Logged

Gary
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 8:48pm »

As Daven says fuses 16 and 17 are listed as 7.5amps and they cover 'Electronics'
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
knights001

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 9:12pm »

I have checked those fuses myself infact went through every single one of them on both sides with a circuit tester and alll checked out ok, thanks for the link to the wiring diagram not the best at reading those things hard to tell whats connected to what.
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 9:21pm »

Unfortunately I think you've just found the reason the previous onwer got rid of your car. It sounds like the immobiliser system to me, if you can hear the starter relay clicking then the low level electronics are working, something's stopping/inhibiting the high current getting to the starter.

When you turn the key to pos II, does the dash come to life, displays come on etc? Do you get full headlamps or just sidelights with the key there?

Anything like this may help pinpoint the fault.

Did you buy it from a dealer or private sale? the short time you've had it makes it reasonable to go back an complain.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
hellblue

Ill have silver,it dries just as fast !

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 9:24pm »

PULL OUT the 7.5 amp fuses & look at them!  make sure the wires you cut are not shorting to each other
IP Logged

Gary
knights001

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 9:49pm »

HI again the dash is completly dead no matter where the key is. All the lights work side, main and h/beam as do indicators, radio and wipers. have pulled fuses and checked and the wires are definatly not shorting as I have removed the plug behind the nterior light that connected it. It was from a garage but not sure where I stand as it may be my fault.
IP Logged
bizzay1

1997 Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 10:13pm »

does it have a battery cover ??
IP Logged
knights001

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 10:19pm »

yes why?
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 10:28pm »

Hey mate, I'd still take it back to them, cutting a wire to a mirror isn't ever going to do any more damage than a blown fuse. Besides, you haven't touched the car electrics at all, have you? Wink. Chances are the garage knows full well the car has a problem, it's probably the reason it got sold but it doesn't make it a bad car either.

At this point it may be worth checking the state of the wiring looms in the engine bay, whether the fusebox is dry and also checking the multiplug connectors to the fusebox (details on another thread on here, can't find it at the moment).

Hope this helps, Bruce.
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 6:59am »

on Sep 26th, 2006, 10:13pm, bizzay1 wrote:
does it have a battery cover ??

The reason for the question is simply that the battery cover is essential to stop water getting into the fusebox on that side. These cars are renowned for problems if water gets into the electrics,particularly the fuse boxes. The lids themselves need to be properly secured and the drain holes from the battery tray into the engine bay need to be kept clear of leaves and other debris or water will build up under the boxes.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

« Reply #19 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 7:32am »

Looking at the schematics it looks like there are no other components (but I'm no expert at electronics), if the PATS check out ok I would disconnect the battery for 15mins (unless you already have) and the re-connect -  also make sure the smaller cable is also connected to the battery.

You could also test the supply to the mirror to see if there is still power going to it - that will disprove it was something you did! Wink

Good luck

Dave
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.