Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 6:18pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Help Required :-) »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Help Required :-)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help Required :-)  (Read 652 times)
aidileeds

Scorpio Ultima 2.9 12v V6

View Profile Email

Help Required :-)
« on: Oct 7th, 2006, 4:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

right i know this might be a totally stupid question but!  

The car has always run a little lumpy on tick over, it kind of drops revs for a split second then comes back, then drops a little again etc etc gives it a lumpy feeling, I disconnected the battery yesterday then reconnected which hasnt changed anything, the next job i was going to do is clean the MAF HOWEVER, when looking at MAF cleaning on the website it has come to my attention mine looks nothing like the photos you have on the site, mine seems to have two pipes from the air filter and no MAF looking thingy anywhere, can anyone Helpppppppppppppppp  
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

Re: Help Required :-)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 7th, 2006, 6:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Aidi:

The 12v doesn't have a MAF unit.  

Best thing is to check plugs, leads etc, and just make sure everything is clean and tidy. Check battery leads for good earthing, and your coil packs where the leads go in. Careful as these are quite pricey. If the plugs are well worn, new ones make a good difference.

Plenty of us here if you're still stuck   Smiley
IP Logged
aidileeds

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 7th, 2006, 10:24pm »

Hi, had last week, new dissy cap and arm, new leads and new plugs but didnt help at all still runs the same, battery is earthed well, so totally confused about it, could it be an air leak somewhere?

thanks
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 7th, 2006, 11:32pm »

Hi Aidi

Could be an air leak but my 12valve is a little lumpy on idle at times all together though it runs sweetly after it has warmed up a little.

What other symptoms are you experiencing

Does it smooth out if you switch the aircon on or off?
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 8th, 2006, 8:32am »

on Oct 7th, 2006, 11:32pm, Geoff_W wrote:
Hi Aidi

Could be an air leak .......

That's a good possibility. Maybe look into this before changing too many components.
Could be a small split in EGR pipe or something  Undecided
I suggest that because I have an ever so slightly loose fitting tube on mine. Mostly un-noticable though.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
aidileeds

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 8th, 2006, 4:57pm »

Hi,  

When aircon is on lumpy gets worse, when off its still very lumpy, sounds like a bit of a misfire but doesnt effect the power at all, as we know these 12v really motor and i wuold of though a misfire would seriously affect the power, dont really know how to explain the lumpy feeling, all i can say is on tick over you get what i would call a butt massage and a bit of a belly shake every 3 - 5 secs.

Rest of the time when theres power on it sounds lovely and runs like a dream

Like i say i have changed dis cap and arm, new leads, new plugs, oil change, new airfilter and still runs the same, it doesnt affect the car just really annoying when sat in traffic.

one thing i did notice last night was I had parents in car so it was been driven like a hearse - lol - and on idle at lights it ticked over ok-ISH, but when i dropped them off i drove on motorway and when i came off to the roundabout once again the idle was really lumpy again, so it seems that when the engine gets very warm or used to high revs the lumpyness(is that a word) gets worse.

thanks in advance

aidi
IP Logged
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 9th, 2006, 9:44am »

Hi, have you tried any injector cleaner? It may be that at idle the injector is not spraying a nice mist but giving a dribble. At higher revs with the injectors open for longer it may be working a bit better. There are places that clean injectors, one place does a postal service! Just search for "Injector cleaning" on google.
Good luck,
Graham
IP Logged
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 9th, 2006, 3:25pm »

just a thought, have you had a scan done? might be a fuel pressure isssue, like i had. if your Long Term Fuel Trims are reading well off (very rich or very poor) it could be this. there is an excellent article on the site, which proves very useful in my case in diagnosing my Fuel Rail Pressure Valve had given up. Difficult hot start, lumpy idle, eats petrol at idle (which scorp doesnt?).  

or, might just need a fuel filter.....

hope this helps,

PS mine ran very smoothly on the motorway, it was just the idle....
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 9th, 2006, 3:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Mine runs smoothly all the time, even on tickover. The ONLY trouble I've ever had which really messed things up was when water got into the pins on the ECU Unit.

This is under the glovebox and you'll need a 10mm socket/spanner to separate the leads from the ECU. 10 minute job. Might be worth a look. You never know with all this rain we've had recently. Seems to be a pain on these cars, but easily rectified.  Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.