Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 26th, 2024, 6:18am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« No Power but Full Battery »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   No Power but Full Battery
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: No Power but Full Battery  (Read 431 times)
DavidJSides

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

No Power but Full Battery
« on: Nov 1st, 2006, 11:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have just bought a 1994 Granada Scorpio 2L Automatic and i have a few problems with it.

1.  Every couple of days when i come out to the car to start it i turn the key and it will not start.  The dash lights all come on as usual and i can hear the selonoid click but it will not turn over.  Leave it a couple of hours and it starts first time.  The battery is OK and hold 12.5 volts and the person i bought the car off said it had a new starter motor not long ago.  I would have guessed it was the starter motor but with it allegedly being new i am not sure.

2. The petrol light stays on all the time no matter how much fuel i put in.  The guage works OK though.

3. The light next to the ABS one is on all the time, is this the brake pad warning light ?

Other than that its a great car.

I would be very grateful for any help on these problems.

cheers

Dave

IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

Re: No Power but Full Battery
« Reply #1 on: Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:01am »

Hi Dave,

Your Scorpio if it is an L or an M and has a Granada badge is a MK3 and whilst some of the technical stuff on here crosses over yours has some different configurations and specs. The good news for you is that Haynes did a workshop manual for the mk3.  Ford never built enough of the Scorpio Ultima series to justify that which is why there is so much information on this site.

If it is the later model you can probably trouble shoot most problems by going here:  
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/faultfinds.htm  

Next time it does not want to start, try  moving the gear lever through the gears, then try to start it in N or P if it works then it is the PRND cut out switch. Not really expensive but inconvenient, usually a loose wire or worn switch.

Fuel light may be linked to a tank sender or a loose wire at the tank.

Some Scorpios did have pad wear indicators and your might be one of them, other item could be traction control warning light is this a red light or an amber one?

To see some of the differences between yours and ours have a look at this:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/difference.htm

If it is a mk3 you can get more help on your car at http://www.granada-and-scorpio-online.com/  

Good luck  

Geoff
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
DavidJSides

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:36am »

Mine is on an M so i assume its a MK3 then.

Tried the moving gear thing it made no difference,  how do i get to the tank sender to check for loose wires, the warning light is an Amber one it is a circle with a brake pad shape on it.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards

Dave
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:47am »

Dave,

Yes if it has Granada badges and 5 stud wheels it is a Mk3. if however the front end looks like the picture at the top of this page then you have our model.

I have an Ultima on an M which is a November 94 build and part of the launch stock for Ultimas and has a Jan 95 registration.

With regard to wiring locations on the Mk3 I can't really help, I would suggest that you put your fault up on the http://www.granada-and-scorpio-online.com/ site .  

If you have an amber light with a brake disc lit it probably is a wear indicator.  You need to check that out quickly, both from a safety point of view and also so that the discs themselves are not damaged by an excessively worn pad.

Sorry I can't be more help, good luck.

Geoff
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 2nd, 2006, 3:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
and i can hear the selonoid click but it will not turn over

Classic sign of a sticking solenoid.

Next time it does this give the solenoid a sharp tap with a hammer, being careful not to hit the solenoid cap where the wiring is.

The solenoids contacts burn/stick together. I've known this happen on many a reconditioned starter.  Wink
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 2nd, 2006, 7:59pm »

The click from the solenoid means one of two things-

1. The solenoid is sticking and not getting as far as making the main starter motor contacts. This would be confirmed by the lights not dimming slightly following the click.

2. If the lights do dim little, it probably means the starter is trying to turn the engine, but failing for some reason.

If the lights go completely out, then the likely cause will be a poor connection somewhere - most likely at the battery terminals.
A pad wear indicator warning light on, means that you have one or more brake pads worn out down to the wear indicator. This is just a wire embedded in the pad and as the pad wears it eventually allows the wire to short itself out against the disk.

Sometimes, because they were cheaper, an owner might fit pads lacking the wear indicator wire. Again that would trigger the pad wear indicator. The system needs a certain value of resistor across the wear indicator plug at the pad end, or it also lights the pad wear indicator.

Which ever reason is causing the light to come on, you urgently need to check the pads out.  

The fuel warning light (from memory) is triggered by a separate contact on the sender unit. Access to the sender, which located in the top of the tank, requires the tank to be lowered - though you can access the wires easily - they pass into the boot through a grommet near the rear most edge of the boot on the off side.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.