Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 12:23pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Over revving again! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Over revving again!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Over revving again!  (Read 1727 times)
cossieguy

1996 Cosworth Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

Over revving again!
« on: Nov 28th, 2006, 11:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Right my strange revving problem has resurfaced. Car starts fine and sits steady at 750-800 rpm. After a period of driving the revs feel above what they should be, if you take feet off pedals the car will pull itself along ie like having the cruise control on, it wont slow down due to drag etc but keep steady at the the speed your going. When stopped in neutral it will idle at 1000rpm. I must stress it is intermittent and during the same run it will rev normally then change to high revving and back again. The car has a new IACV on and the MAF is clean. It went in for FDS scan last week and the only thing found was a split pipe in the egr system no fault codes. Any ideas?
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Over revving again!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28th, 2006, 11:22am »

Could you have answered you own question..... is the cruise control cable somehow sticking or being 'fouled'?.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
cossieguy

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 28th, 2006, 11:44am »

on Nov 28th, 2006, 11:22am, Simmo wrote:
Could you have answered you own question..... is the cruise control cable somehow sticking or being 'fouled'?.

Possible, but i don't think so, it only appears when engine has warmed up and doesn't explain the intermittent nature of fault, the car only stays at the same speed because the revs are slightly higher than they should be. Just to be sure though where abouts is the CC cable located?
Guy.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 28th, 2006, 11:55am »

The motor for the Cruise control is just behind the FOS head lamp. A cable from that runs back to the throttle linkage and is side by side with the accelerator cable which of course comes from the bulkhead direction.This should help you. As you are reading the Cruise control details the 'throttle cable' shown is of course the CC 'throttle' cable. You can see the main one alongside.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
cossieguy

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 7:17pm »

Further hints/symptoms. If I reset the car(Battery off) then the problem goes away until I kick down and give it some. Then the idle goes wonky again. Is this something to do with the throttle positon sensor?
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 8:34pm »

Do the symptoms also begin after you have reset it by battery diconnection and then floor the throttle with ignition off?

I'm thinking along the lines of a sticking throttle linkage perhaps.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
cossieguy

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 9:20pm »

on Nov 29th, 2006, 8:34pm, harry.m1byt wrote:
Do the symptoms also begin after you have reset it by battery diconnection and then floor the throttle with ignition off?

I'm thinking along the lines of a sticking throttle linkage perhaps.

Funny you should say that, I was thinking about it while washing up and started looking at it along those lines, would explain the symptoms. Will try it tomorrow and see. Don't know if its got anything to do with it but, a while back I had another problem and it was suggested to start the car with accelerator to floor(Apparently it shouldn't start) mine started no problems!?
Guy.
IP Logged
hellblue

Ill have silver,it dries just as fast !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 9:46pm »

Did you clean out the throttle body too?Seen it somewhere if battery is removed you need to start engine leave at idle for 3/4 min? then fast idle 1/2 min? to let ecu relearn its values (someone may conferm this)so does this mean that some thing is being learnt by using the kick down?Loom prob.? any extra load on the engine will cause the rpm to pick up a bit,ie if it thought it had a power steering loading the ecu wouldnt see that as odd so may not see a code? just some thoughts
IP Logged

Gary
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 10:13pm »

If the battery is removed then certainly the ecu has to re-adjust and learn the 'values' of the sensors again and the usual advice is to take the car for a varied run ie:urban,fast main road etc, in order to achieve that.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 10:48pm »

I had this for quite a while, a really good clean of the throttle body, butterfly valves and return springs cured it. Had to do it more than once but *touch wood* its been fine for a while.

Like yours it was intermittent but got worse over time.
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
cossieguy

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 30th, 2006, 7:50am »

Cheers for that Dave, have we got a write up for cleaning out the throttle body and associated bits anywhere?
Guy.
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 30th, 2006, 8:13am »

hi there

this guide is not too bad. it's for a 16 valve mondeo, but gives you a good idea.

cleaning the idle valve
hth
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.