Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 9:27pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« dead radio »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   dead radio
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: dead radio  (Read 779 times)
pedropedro

View Profile

dead radio
« on: Dec 3rd, 2006, 11:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I replaced battery yesterday and since doing that the radio is dead...obviously hooked up all the wires nothing loose etc

it did go a bit ape when reconnected the battery alarm etc went off,  but blowed if i can see whats the problem..

fuse 5 is ok ...what could have happened ?? any ideas thanks

John
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: dead radio
« Reply #1 on: Dec 3rd, 2006, 11:45am »

hi there

check fuse 26? (timer). also, i think there's fuse at the  back of the radio. one on the wiring and maybe one inside unit.

hth
IP Logged
pedropedro

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 3rd, 2006, 1:56pm »

Hi...fuse 26 in book says front window 30a....maybe if i pull radio can find a fuse..just ordered tool to remove

tks  john
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 3rd, 2006, 2:01pm »

hi there

sorry, should have been fuse 36! Embarassed

hth
IP Logged
Mummra

Mummra-the-ever -living

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 4th, 2006, 9:07pm »

There is definately a fuse at the back of the radio. I would also try switching the radio on at night, as I just had the same experience with mine after changing the battery. It seemed as though the radio were dead, however it was the lcd that had packed up on mine and it was sitting waiting for the code. By switching on at night I noticed that the radio lit up as though it was working.  

Dave
IP Logged
pedropedro

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 4th, 2006, 9:44pm »

Dave

tks for comments...youre right switched on and it lights up at night but no lcd display...no buttons will induce anything....is this a fuse thats blown...it was fine before battery disconnect

did your lcd fail after battery disconnection?  seems a bit odd it would fail due to that
john
IP Logged
Mummra

Mummra-the-ever -living

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 5th, 2006, 9:26am »

Not sure if just coincidence or not, but had been working fine before the battery failure, replaced the battery and no lcd.  

If the radio lights up when switched on, then the radio is working and is waiting for the code to be entered, but due to the lcd failure you can't see that. It is a bit tricky putting the code in without the display, but can be done.  

Do be aware though that if you enter a code, right or wrong, you do not get any kind of audible acknowledgement. If you enter the code correctly the radio will just spring to life.

Also entering the code incorrectly too many times will lock out the radio, and a half hour wait will be required before you can try again.

Good luck.
Dave
IP Logged
pedropedro

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Dec 5th, 2006, 7:41pm »

thanks for info ...but it will not accept the code...lights are on but just cant get code in ...maybe theres another fuse ..do you know if thats is the case Huh

john
IP Logged
pedropedro

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Dec 8th, 2006, 8:29pm »

ok so now i need to pull the radio..how   easy is it do this  ...ive just bought the din pulling prong  
things.....how does the radio actually come out what do you have to do?
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 8th, 2006, 9:04pm »

Stick both sets in till they click then push them gently outwards towards the doors and pull
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 8th, 2006, 9:28pm »

It isn't the security panel is it? A couple of people on here have had faults caused by the panel going awol inside. Other than that it's probably the display, mine has gone completely now. Had a similar thing with the LCD clock in the XJ, turned out to be the ribbon cable getting cooked by the backlight bulbs, pulled it to bits and cleaned it, works great now; just as well as replacement clocks cost a bomb even second hand and getting one with the extra switch bezels for the heated seats/windscreen is near impossible, on most they are blanks. Thinking again about the radio in the Scorpio, may have another go at it over the weekend.

I had trouble pulling the radio in mine, got caught on the fascia and I ended up removing the lot together, it does come out but may take some effort.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
pedropedro

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Dec 9th, 2006, 8:49am »

Hi thanks for comments..its not the security panel changed with another one same problem

appreciate advice re pulling radio ,,new there must be a trick

thanks
IP Logged
pedropedro

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Dec 9th, 2006, 8:51am »

one obvious question...if the display lights up when lights put on that still doesnt mean there isnt a dead fuse somewhere does it..??   in other words i shouldnt assume the fuses are ok just because the baclight come on when the lights are turned on??
IP Logged
pedropedro

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Dec 9th, 2006, 11:26am »

ok managed to pull radio...the fuse at rear is a 3a and its fine...tried new security panel no joy,,,,panel lights up but no characters..etc

it was fine before changed battery........do I need a new radio or any ideas Huh
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 9th, 2006, 4:42pm »

Hello mate. Are you sure it's not just the LCD playing up? Like Mummra said you get no warning of the code being right or wrong, it just springs back into life.

I know it sounds a bit oddball but you could leave the radio in a warm place overnight, plug it back in in the morning and see if you get the display then, sometimes the cold air wreaks havoc with them.

The 3A fuse on the radio itself is for the CD changer I believe.

Fuse 8 powers the radio, fuse 24 also but also the interior lights...I take it you still have them.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
pedropedro

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Dec 9th, 2006, 4:57pm »

I assume if fuse 8 were dead...the lcd panel wouldnt have a back light when lights were turned on.......mine lights when turned on......tried entering code without display but no joy  

tks john
IP Logged
Mummra

Mummra-the-ever -living

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 9th, 2006, 5:47pm »

Hi something that also could be worth a go is to leave the radio on for about half an hour and then try entering the code as what may have happened is that when you first noticed the problem you may have tried pushing a few buttons and inadvertently entered the wrong code. if this happens, the radio puts a wait time on before you can re-enter the code. This is what happened to me.

I also think that each time you switch the radio off the wait time resets itself. I have also found that every now and again my display will sometimes flicker into life, so leaving the radio on this may happen for you and then you will be able to see what is happening. It may sound silly but it may also be worth checking you do have the correct radio code.

Dave
IP Logged
pedropedro

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Dec 10th, 2006, 11:07am »

I put in warm area overnight and hey presto display is on with a count down 30mins to re enter code,,,,,cant believe it...!!!!

thanks for all the comments I would have binned  it without them

john
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.