Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 7:13pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Front suspension »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Front suspension
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Front suspension  (Read 616 times)
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

Front suspension
« on: Dec 10th, 2006, 12:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Right, I've made a start on the underneath and here is what I've found....

The O/S wishbone bushes, the one towards the back which is retained by four bolts and a saddle looks fine but the wishbone is offset (not centered) in the bush. The wishbone in both of these rear bushes can be moved about quite easily, with the slightest of pressure on a small lever.

The steering does seem to wonder about and it feels quite floaty and imprecise at speed, so I'm guessing this is the cause?

The front bushes and drop arm bushes show no movement I could detect.

The what-its-name (edit: Anti roll) bar running from the drop arms, which runs across to link both wheels to stop the car tilting on the bends - I'm rather puzzled by this...

There doesn't seem to be any noticeable wear on the bushes which fix it (anti-roll bar) on the chassis, but I can slide it easily through the bushes a couple of inches with apparently nothing to stop it or keep it centred. There seems to be what looks like a plastic collar on the wheel side of each bush, but nothing to hold the collar in place. In other words this is also free to slide back and forth.

Other than the above it all looks brilliant, good as new. No sign of any rust and original coating still on all of the brake pipes so I guess it has not seen much road salt - plenty of caked on mud, but no signs of salt corrosion.  

The exception is the thin flat steel panel between rear of boot and back bumper.  

There is a bit a slight oil leak from somewhere, not serious between box and engine and I think I may leave it for a while as it wiil help prevent some corrosion Smiley No sign of fluids going down, so it may just be spillage by some sloppy mechanic.

Last week I got the 12S all completed, relay in and both sockets fully tested.    

IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: Front suspension
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10th, 2006, 2:57pm »

If the wishbone is not centred in the rear bush & can be easily moved about then the bush will need replacing.

I changed both my wishbone rear bushes yesterday because mine were the same. It isn't until you get them off that you can see the true extent of the damage to the rubber.

My car now feels alot better on uneven roads & is no longer wandering badly at speed.  Smiley
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 10th, 2006, 5:29pm »

That confirms it then, thanks.

Has anyone any comments on the side to side movement of the anti-roll bar in its bushes? I've not been able to find any diagrams or photos which indicate any means to prevent this.
IP Logged

Now flashing Smiley
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 10th, 2006, 9:37pm »

on Dec 10th, 2006, 5:29pm, harry.m1byt wrote:

Has anyone any comments on the side to side movement of the anti-roll bar in its bushes? I've not been able to find any diagrams or photos which indicate any means to prevent this.

On later models, clamps were fitted around the roll bar just inboard of the bushes. In fact, I think this may have been a recall for earlier cars  Undecided

However, they are not fitted tight against the bush brackets, so this still allows side-to-side movement.

New roll bar bushes will stop this, but only temporarily (IMO)
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 10th, 2006, 9:46pm »

Thanks I'll check out some later models in the scrap yards for the clamps.
IP Logged

Now flashing Smiley
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 11th, 2006, 12:59am »

The back bumper  under panel  is  very prone to the rust bug,  and as it's a  bumper securing point,  it might well  be  a  MOT  failure. Undecided
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Dec 11th, 2006, 5:38pm »

Thanks, I'd better see if I an do something about it. It's not beyond saving, so probably a coating of old oil will hold the corrosion for now.
IP Logged

Now flashing Smiley
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

Re: Front suspension (Parts on order)
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11th, 2006, 8:48pm »

My local parts emporium said they could get them, but wanted a whopping £36 per bush......

From fordpartsuk....

Hello Harry
Thankyou for your Enquiry.  
Here is the information requested
Scorpio-Front Suspension Arm Bushes (Rear)
Part Number:   7307905(QTY2)
Retail Price:     £14.23each
You Pay:    £12.10each

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

Post & Packing
Parcel Force UK 2Day Service £5.00

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

Prices subject to VAT @ 17.5%

Total Cost:  £34.31
IP Logged

Now flashing Smiley
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 9:31am »

I got the two wishbone rear bushes from Ford/Dovercourt on Friday & they were £15.89 inc VAT each  Smiley

But be careful you get the right ones. For some reason the Fords diagrams list it as the front bush, & I was originally quoted £5.50 for each bush, they then said that the front bushes were £15 each  Huh
"Okay, I'll have the front bushes then"  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.