Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 9:25pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« re-spray cost(maybe ins. claim)? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   re-spray cost(maybe ins. claim)?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: re-spray cost(maybe ins. claim)?  (Read 1302 times)
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

re-spray cost(maybe ins. claim)?
« on: Dec 16th, 2006, 9:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

the other night some git nicked our chrome dust caps all 4

not happy just taking them they also scratched poor scorp from boot to wing /then wing to boot with extras on the doors , nice (not) Angry Angry

why do people find joy in wrecking other peoples cars ?

not sure if its best to do a insurance claim but a bit scared scorp would get wrote off with the prices of the scorp how its droping at the moment ?  sally Cry
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: re-spray cost(maybe ins. claim)?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16th, 2006, 10:04pm »

hi there

most insurance companies will pay out to 70% of the book value in a claim. best to ask a few bodyshops for their opinion.

hth
IP Logged
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16th, 2006, 10:29pm »

hi scorpioman thanks for relpy.
IP Logged
SCORPY_NEWBY

Scorpless but still an admirer!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16th, 2006, 10:33pm »

Hi, is it just the side, or have they gone onto the boot lid?
IP Logged
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16th, 2006, 10:41pm »

side ,
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16th, 2006, 11:17pm »

Sorry to hear of this Sally  Angry

IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
SCORPY_NEWBY

Scorpless but still an admirer!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17th, 2006, 12:45am »

I work at a bodyshop in lincs and we just put a new boot lid, rear bumper and lights on a 98 ghiax with 105000 miles on the clock through the insurance so it may not be written off. Worth a go, you can always cancel the claim if they plan to write it off. Or alternatively do what I've done in the past and let them write the car off, When they give you a figure for the car say you want to buy the car back off them (you will get it for a pittance) This way you will have the write off money to pay for the repairs. Job done!!
IP Logged
Jim

1996  2.3    115k and rising

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 1:28am »

My 2.3 was attacked from behind by a cement mixer. Medium surface damage down rear quater panel. Insurance wrote it off as beyond economic repair. Offered me £1600, I accepted and bought it back for £160 (10%). After excess and repair had enough left to pay for some of the general maintenance things that are normaly required. The Scorp is lovingly refered to by the family as the money pit.  Smiley
IP Logged

Jim
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 4:10pm »

Hi SCORPY_NEWBY and jim, thank you for replies ive never had to do this befor ! so basicaly would i have to take car some where for a quote first?

then get in touch with insurance company ?

if car is a write off and we get the chance to buy it back do exsiting insurance still carry on or do i have to start again?  
 and do making a claim affect your insurance for years a head ? its fully insured with bonus protected but do it mean what it say? sally  
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 4:13pm »

If they write the car off and then you buy it back, basically you have to reapply for the insurance and let the insurance companies know it was an cat d or c write off. They will then quote accordingly.  

If you have protected no-claims thgat should stay in place even if you are claiming for vandal damage etc.

Either way, the insurance company should pay out the respray costs or make you another offer if you are fully comprehensive.

Oh, and yes you would need to get a quote for the works first. I wouldn't go to main dealers etc. as they will be daft money; rather get a few quotes from smaller garages (with the right gear to do the job obviously) and maybe one main dealer as a comparrison

Baz

Baz
IP Logged
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 4:31pm »

thanks baz that was very helpful.  
 the other thing that worries me is that it happened right out side the house car is almost 4 steps away from front door! rrrrrrrrrr.  

i belive they used the chrome dust caps to do the scratching with,  
so wont ever put them on a car again ,  
yeah just worried they will strike again if car do get resprayed, but may be im thinking wrong here idont know just feel a bit guttered at mo
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 6:00pm »

Sally, if it's just an economical write-off you shouldn't have any problems with getting it back, everything is done on paper. Only if the car suffers severe damage in a crash is there a problem with getting it back, there are different classes of write-off just to confuse us all...This is how it was with the Capri anyway.

Try a paint chip company too, Chips Away are reputed to be good. May be worth a try before you commit to a full respray.

BTW, what colour is the car? State blue? In my experience it's not the hardest colour to match, done a few paint jobs on mine and got a good finish.

Good luck.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 7:27pm »

How deep are the scratches?
IP Logged

bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 7:28pm »

hi bruce, scorp is panther black ,
how big a mark can these chip people do? on the back door alone have 7 scratches i had a count up of them to day but could not stomach to count the rest ! i try to avoid seeing it at the mo .
IP Logged
Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 7:44pm »

Depends how deep the scratches are as to how much they can do.
IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 7:51pm »

I'm not sure how far they can go but it can't hurt asking, would be cheaper than a bodyshop and I know a couple of people over on the other forum who've had paint done by them and say it was good.

Black should spray ok, colours like red and gold are the hardest to match. Getting a good finish shouldn't be the problem but in direct sunlight even a good job could stand out a mile on metallic paint.

Mabye a full respray is the way forward, I could spit blood when this happens to someone...

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 8:10pm »

hi dave there not down to the metal,
 i can see the primer and i can  feel a grove in them if you undestand what i mean by that?

its the 2nd time ive had the chrome dust caps  took off the car but the first time they were happy just to take them, sally
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 8:20pm »

get a few CCTV cameras. I have them fitted to my house (Because I sell and install them!!) and managed to use CCTV to catch the lowlife that hit my wifes brand new megane cabrio outside the house. The lad thought he had got away with it..... he was wrong and it cost him £1600.00 to boot!!

It is easy to do now with wireless IP cameras and a half decent capture card for a few hundred quid
IP Logged
monghad

Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 8:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

What the hell did they think they accomplished doing it, then again accomplishment is something they obviously lack, they seem to think that moral fibre is something you put on your porridge to keep you regular, the t*ssers. Hope you find a way to keep your Scorp Bootiful-Scorpios. Undecided Smiley Chris.
IP Logged
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 9:26pm »

baz how much would cctv cost ? and could you give me some idea what to look for?

when i first saw  what  had been done to the car i wanted to get more dust caps and  set up the video camera as they had been there 2x there is bound to be a 3rd but realised the disc ant long enough i just felt in hope i could catch who it was , i dont know what id have done if id caught them in the act of it.........id  prob scratched them with ma nails or kick em some where it hurts,  

chris thanks for you comments , i just hope that one day if and when they have a car they have the same happen to them.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.