Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 1:24am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 7000 Radio Display »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   7000 Radio Display
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 7000 Radio Display  (Read 724 times)
Penguin

Scorpio Owner 12/05 - 7/07

View Profile

7000 Radio Display
« on: Dec 17th, 2006, 1:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Here's an interesting one:  

About two weeks ago my radio display come on (although the radio itself worked fine).  Once the cabin temperature had reached something sensible however, the display came back on weakly and then stronger as the car got driven a bit more.  However the next day when started there was the same problem.  

I therefore went and bought a retread unit from ebay, changed it over and verrified that the display on the new one was working fine.  Didn't use the car for a couple of days but when I turned it back on there was no display, although this came back weakly and then properly once the cabin temperature got up to speed.  

Today however the (2nd) radio appears to have no display at all.  

My question is do I simply have 2 duff radios or does damp/cold weather conditions affect all of these units badly and am I likely so see a display again once the weather goes dry?  

Second question is, if my radio is not going to recover I will most likely rip it out and get something new put in.  Has anybody already done and do they know if it is possible with an aftermarket radio for the dashboard stick to still work?  

Cheers

Penguin
IP Logged
Malcolm B

1998 Cosworth Ultima

View Profile

Re: 7000 Radio Display
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17th, 2006, 7:19am »

My 98 Ultima does the same from time to time. It does not seem to be temp related - just does this maybe once every 6 weeks . Always comes back though. the green back light is always there, just the digits disappear.

Malcolm
IP Logged
v4-max aka Cheekyboy1

focus cc  mk3 mondeo 2.0 auto cbx750 vt600

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17th, 2006, 10:38am »

no display on mine either, comes and goes currently no display since the wet stuff started falling. general opinion via previous threads seem to indicate moisture probs.
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2006, 11:55am »

All LCD displays go faint under cold conditions, it is not just a problem which affects the Scorps radio, but once the display returns to more normal temperatures it should work as normal. I'm not suggesting this is the only cause of the problem withthe Scorp radio.

I would be interested in seeing if I can find a solution to the problem, so if anyone has one of these radios with an intermitant display problem - rather than binning it, they could forward it to me. I don't mind paying the postage and you never know I might find a solution.  

My car is fitted with an after market stereo.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17th, 2006, 12:37pm »

Harry, I don't normally have problems with LCD's mate, only the Scorpio shows these odd symptoms Wink

Penguin, most of us get this problem, nobody has worked out a full cure yet...Mine's had 3 radio units in the past and it still goes, despite the one I have really only being 4 years old.

The cure: get an aftermarket radio fitted...

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Penguin

Scorpio Owner 12/05 - 7/07

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17th, 2006, 11:01pm »

Yep I thought that might be the answer. Thanks!

Cheers

Penguin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.