Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 9:28am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Stalling, Ignition Light, Speedo »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Stalling, Ignition Light, Speedo
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Stalling, Ignition Light, Speedo  (Read 660 times)
TomP

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Stalling, Ignition Light, Speedo
« on: Dec 17th, 2006, 9:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm really enjoying my new car: Scorpio - 2.9 12V estate - it's a fantastic car.

Just a couple of things I hope someone can help me with:

1) Car starts fine, but when reversing from my drive, if I give it any throttle the engine speed drops and sometime cuts out. If I do reverse ok, then shift into drive, if I give it too much throttle it cuts out...it's difficult to start again in both situations.

2) The ignition battery light sometime stays glowing although I've had no obvious problems in the 2 months I've had the car. Happened last week on a long journey, stayed on for 100+ miles.

3) Speedo dials sometimes jump to maximum on starting the car.

Wouldn't it be nice if all of these were connectedHuh

I've read through the website, it's brilliant!....have seen a few posts about these things but would be good to get some opinions.

Thanks
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

Re: Stalling, Ignition Light, Speedo
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17th, 2006, 10:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

If the dials are jumping it's a sign that your battery is not up to the job.

Run the self test by holding your mileometer button in with the engine running for about 5-10 seconds. It will beep.
You can then scroll through a number of tests, including a battery voltage check, by repeatedly pressing the button.

Anything much under 11.5 volts, and you either need to charge your battery or think about a replacement. If the charge does not increase when you rev the engine, then your alternator may not be charging the battery at the full rate which would explain the low battery reading.
These cars have a huge electrical dependance, and the 'swinging dial' syndrome is a sure sign of poor battery performance.

You need to determine if the alternator is charging the battery, or if the battery has had it. A glowing light is NOT normal, but could be as simple as just the alternator brush box needing replacement.

When you next start the car, ALL the dials will swing round and re-set. this is quite normal, and resets the instruments to their default positions.

I too have the 12v 2.9, and have found that you need to let the engine run for about a minute before setting off, otherwise it can be a bit temperamental first thing in the mornings.

Welcome to this great site.  Smiley
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17th, 2006, 11:31pm »

on Dec 17th, 2006, 10:28pm, Spannerdemon wrote:

I too have the 12v 2.9, and have found that you need to let the engine run for about a minute before setting off, otherwise it can be a bit temperamental first thing in the mornings.

Mine isn't. It pulls strong from cold and starts at the first touch.  

The only thing I have noticed is that should I stall it cold, then it doesn't like to restart. If I manage to stall it when cold, it behaves rather like a flooded engine, needing quite a bit of cranking before all cylinders fire up properly - not that it has seen any really cold weather starts yet.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 8:25am »

Quote:
The only thing I have noticed is that should I stall it cold, then it doesn't like to restart

Um......That's what I meant Harry....... Maybe I didn't put it too well.  Wink

Mine starts first time, every time too, and WILL pull from cold no problem. In fact it goes up the very steep hill from my house like a train. The 12v 2.9's seem to have cold engine re-start problems, which you describe well.

This is why I let mine run for a minute or so before leaving the drive. I find it works well, and rarely stops after that. It gives me time to get my pipe, slippers and flat-hat on!  Grin

Just replaced plugs & leads in mine, and re 'O' ringed the IACV and it's running like a Swiss watch now.  Cheesy
IP Logged
TomP

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 11:08pm »

Thanks very much for your replies.

I have performed the check as described (a very useful trick I was unaware of). The battery was showing 13.8, even when the ignition light was glowing so I guess the battery is OK?

Other readings were:

pulses - between 197 and 202
engt = 80
rel 1 =13
rel 2 = 04
air t =61
rae 18.4
button = 255
lo c = 28
lo s = 28

Is there anything here that looks unusual? I can guess what some of these readings are but am intrigued what the others are. Is there somewhere I can see what these mean?

Back to the stalling, I have also found that leaving the car running for a minute or two does seem to help the problem, but it would be nice (particularly for my wife!) if it didn't have this little problem each morning.

Fantastic website! (fantastic car too!!)
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 11:21pm »

HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE

This should explain it all to you. On the face of it, your readings all appear to be OK and a battery reading of 13.8 is certainly OK. It would pay to check the actual amperage of the battery, as a battery with a low rating will not be adequate for these cars.  

On second hand cars you never quite know what battery has been dumped in the car prior to selling it. I once bought a Volvo, but they had plonked a diddy little Kia battery under the hood, which was totally inadequate for the job. Personally I'd get it checked out with winter on the doorstep. The last thing you'll need is the hassle of a non-starter, just when you need the car to get to work or similar. Most auto electricians will give you an honest diagnosis and test of it (usually free). You need a 'proper' battery though for this car.

One thing you could try is taking off the battery leads for about 2 minutes, and then re-connecting them. If any work has been carried out on the fuel/ignition system, then the car has to re-learn it's settings from the ECU, and this may well give you an improvement. I had to do this recently after cleaning out my Idle Control Valve. The car will run a bit lumpy for a mile or so after doing this, which is quite normal whilst it reads the new settings and applies them to your own vehicle. Take it for about a 5 mile run round the houses, and all will be well again.

I understand your concerns about the cold response, but bear in mind that these cars are all about 10 years old now, and if you haven't got any major problems....you're lucky!!  

Components do wear ever so slightly, and a corresponding amount of minor off tune running is almost inevitable unless you want to spend lots of money getting it sorted out by often very dubious mechanics who are probably going to know less about the car than most chimpanzees, and certainly less than some extremely knowledgeable people on this site who actually own/have owned the cars  Wink

Of course, there's always the Main Ford dealers, but you'd better arrange that second mortgage before you go to them!!  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

I accept that they will use genuine Ford parts etc etc, but labour charges will be high, and it really all comes down to how much you want to spend on your car. We all have different priorities in life, and it's one that only you can decide.

Enjoy the car.  Cheesy
IP Logged
leedaman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 1:08pm »

on Dec 18th, 2006, 11:21pm, Spannerdemon wrote:
HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE

It would pay to check the actual  amperage of the battery, as a battery with a low rating will not be adequate for these cars.  

What is the correct amperage ?
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 1:54pm »

hi there

here you go.

hth
IP Logged
leedaman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 2:03pm »

Thanks the reason i ask is because i currently have a 620 amp battery on the car at the moment but i am having a similar problem to timp my battery light comes on at random times very dimly and i am now on my 3rd alternator

any one have any ideas ?

BTW forgot to mention that mine is a 2.9 12v ultima
IP Logged
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 4:12pm »

Hi,

The battery light on mine has been glowing on and off for 1 year now. Usually comes on when using the power steering. I think its just a small drip from the bottom of the power steering reservoir onto the wiring below it, common problem apparently. Never affected the charging, and not had to top up the ps fluid in a year, so have just lived with it (although of course now i have a battery drain, but i dont think its that).

Worth checking....
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
leedaman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Dec 21st, 2006, 2:44pm »

from what i have read it would seem that the 2.9 12v ultima should have a 640ccs 71ah battery i am going to take a chance a swap my battery for the correct size i have had the wiring checked and 3 new alternators and have had a new power steering fluid pipe now so i cant see what else it can be i will let you know if it solves the problem
IP Logged
TRACEYS_LIMO

I'm a YaBB newbie

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Dec 21st, 2006, 4:09pm »

hi had similar problem on 3 litre estate years a go and was told it was so you could not ram cars at junctions so with all my granadas and scorpios i give them gas gently until there moving and then wind them up never had any problems since, and it makes sense not to gun the car from a cold start hope this helps David
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.