Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 12:19am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« remote / central locking probs related? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   remote / central locking probs related?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: remote / central locking probs related?  (Read 1045 times)
villabianca

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

remote / central locking probs related?
« on: Jan 19th, 2007, 12:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've just purchased a Scorpio with a couple of problems & can't seem to find a solution within the forum...so any advice would be really appreciated.

The car was bought with 2 main problems. The first problem is that the ABS light is on perminantly - there appears to be good answers on this one. The second problem is with the remote and central locking. The remote doesn't work at all. The previous owner sold the car on behalf of his sister; she told him that the remote had started to 'play up'. We assumed faulty batteries, changed these, all to no avail! I've  purchased a replacement off ebay & will try this tonight. However, the car also has a problem with the central locking.  I can lock the car from either driver or passenger side using the key, which successfully operates the locks to other doors / hatch...but the key won't unlock the car. However, release of the driver's internal door handle operates the central locking to release all doors and boot. Summary position....I'm driving around with a long piece of string tied to the interior door handle, dangled out of the rear door window. I park up, use the key to lock the car and upon return pull on the string to get in!!! Hardly executive style entry! My question is, are the proplems related or does anybody recognise this problem?
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: remote / central locking probs related?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19th, 2007, 12:57pm »

Your door locks are either worn or the locks dont match the key.
WD40 in the locks might help..they seize up usually because they dont get used due to the remote.
Then your remote fails and you're locked out in ASDA car park with a trolly load of frozen shopping in the rain Smiley

Any similar Ford key will lock your car but only the correct one will open it.

possibly you have had a new ignition barrel fitted or the door locks have both been changed?

The remotes have an issue with the conductive rubber keypads losing their conductivity, the contacts might need cleaning or you might not be getting the keyfob programming to work properly, try your new one and see if this will work
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

villabianca

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19th, 2007, 1:55pm »

Hi Highlander,

Thanks for the advice....forgot to mention the heater matrix problem...but that's for another day!
IP Logged
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19th, 2007, 2:26pm »

Does the key work in the boot lock?
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19th, 2007, 2:59pm »

on Jan 19th, 2007, 12:49pm, villabianca wrote:
which successfully operates the locks to other doors / hatch

Is it an estate (and/or a Granada)?

what year/model is it?
IP Logged

harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 19th, 2007, 6:43pm »

Even assuming your remote is working correctly it will not start to work with the car until reprogrammed to the car.  

Switch the ignition switch to the first position then off, repeat up to three more times or until you hear it chime, then press quickly the unlock on the remote. Another chime should confirm that it has received the signal.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
villabianca

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 19th, 2007, 7:21pm »

Huh Update time. Tried the 'new' remote off ebay. Followed Highlander's instructions (thanks) without success. I get the initial chime, but none after depressing the unlock button (I assume this is the single lock graphic) althought the car does chime several seconds later and when turning the key back to 0 position. Am I doing this rightHuh Cry

Further to other enquires, it's a 97 P Scorpio estate & the key doesn't open the hatch lock either. Discovered on the 200 mile journey home today that the that the temperature guage doesn't work either Embarassed

But am still enjoying the car Grin
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 19th, 2007, 8:43pm »

The boot lock usually responds to copious amounts of WD40 plus a lot of pushing and 'wiggling'. As Highlander says if the key is worn it may well lock the car,as any Ford key will, BUT it will not unlock it. You can get rebuild kits and there are instructions on the site as to how to do it if that becomes necessary.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jan 19th, 2007, 10:15pm »

Almost sounds to me like the ignition barrel has been replaced and the previous owner either lost or forgot to give you the old key set...

(Could ofcourse be wrong)
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jan 19th, 2007, 10:16pm »

on Jan 19th, 2007, 7:21pm, villabianca wrote:
Huh Update time. Tried the 'new' remote off ebay. Followed Highlander's instructions (thanks) without success. I get// the initial chime, but none after depressing the unlock button (I assume this is the single lock graphic) althought the car does chime several seconds later and when turning the key back to 0 position. Am I doing this rightHuh Cry

It sound right. The unlock is the one on the top right of the remote. It should sound a tone as you press unlock, or if you run out of time it also sounds the tone.  

Check the batteries, check the button pads contacts are clean, also make sure the vertical flat metal spring is vertical (the one next to the batteries) - otherwise it can tend to short out the batteries and double check the batteries are in the correct way.  
IP Logged

Now flashing Smiley
villabianca

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jan 20th, 2007, 2:13pm »

Undecided Update time.

Can't get the new fob to work. Have now tried a different CCM to see if this could be the problem. Unfortunately, this didn't make any difference. Looks like the only way to make the car secure (and forget about the remote) is to get a new barrel fitted.....anybody with any other ideas?
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jan 20th, 2007, 2:30pm »

You need to find someone near your, to test both the remote with their car and their remote with your car. Where are you?
IP Logged

Now flashing Smiley
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 20th, 2007, 2:41pm »

Try half a can of WD40 in the door lock and some elbow grease  Grin
IP Logged

daveyboy19

granny through and through

daveyboy
View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 21st, 2007, 6:34pm »

hi is the ignition lights coming on when you turn the key on and off mine went the same but forgot to press immobiliser first to light ignition lights up cheers dave
IP Logged

forever granny
Danny

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 21st, 2007, 7:45pm »

Hi villabianca,  

when programming the remote, did you hear a chime when pressed the unlock button? If so, did you hear  another chime when you switched the ignition of?
the car will switch itself off programming mode after a short while with a chime.

Somethimes I find holding down the unlock button works.  Also, check the battery connector is in right upright position and connects with the circut board.

HTH

Dan
IP Logged

ex 1996 24v Cosworth
Now - Mondeo ST TDCI (Sat Nav Built-in/Bluetooth/Voice Control/Xenons/DeCat/Bluefin Remap @ 190bhp)
villabianca

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jan 21st, 2007, 9:35pm »

Guys,

Thanks for advice. I've now tested a friends remote and it works! QED  - I need another remote. Thanks for the suggestions. Pete
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.