Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 12:43am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Idle problems »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Idle problems
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Idle problems  (Read 938 times)
Spannerdemon

Email

Idle problems
« on: Jan 22nd, 2007, 7:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm still having idle problems on my 1996 12v 2.9.

Have replaced the IACV, and this has made a slight difference in that the engine now keeps running rather than cutting out occasionally, but I am still getting problems with fast idling (around 2000rpm), when I select N at traffic lights.

Car runs fine, with no other problems, but what I would like is a
picture picture picture picture picture picture picture picture picture picture picture picture picture picture
of the Throttle Position Sensor, and any info on TPS resetting or adjustment, if anyone can help here.

Butterfly spindles are clean, cable is free, and I am starting to run out of reasons for this problem. I've disconnected and re-connected the battery to re-set the ECU, but without much difference. I read somewhere about a pipe which has a coiled covering around it which may be damaged (is this on the 12v?), but don't want to poke around without knowing what I'm doing.
I also have a very slight (and I mean VERY slight) petrol smell occasionally, which may be connected.

Any ideas?.............Thanks.  Can't check till later, but I'll be back.  Wink
IP Logged
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Re: Idle problems
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

Mine has a high idle (about 1500rpm), which drops after 10 seconds to normal again. Sometimes jumps back up too, but usually instigated by a rev. I am suspecting vacuum hoses incorrectly re-attached after work on engine, or an air leak somewhere.

I think the TPS is reset with a battery disconnection, so i dont think it would be that.

Hope this helps,
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:25pm »

S/D, have a look at the first two items on THIS page and see if they help. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22nd, 2007, 2:49pm »

Thanks for this guys. I'm planning on sorting this out on Wednesday when I have some time off, so any further info will be useful.

Many thanks.  Smiley
IP Logged
gary1

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22nd, 2007, 4:20pm »

Hi
Not sure if this helps but i had the same problem on my 2.3. I cleaned the IACV and it made no difference so i then chaged it and it made no difference.I then thought it might be cheep petrol so i started to buy it from a bp garage and the problem went awy. 2 months later put some supermarket fuel in her and the problem came back. Started to use bp petrol and the problem went away again.
Gary
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 22nd, 2007, 5:42pm »

SD, from my recent experience with 3000rpm cold idle attempting to carrying me down the road at 40mph, I come to the conclusion that the TPS is very sensitive. If you can get at the TPS you can try rotating it a bit and see if this cures the problem...does the car start and idle ok until you give it some throttle and then latch up to 2000rpm?

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:51pm »

come back to you soon. have burnt my hand quite badly at work. just got back from a&e.

thanks s/d.  Sad
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 1:03pm »

Quote:
If you can get at the TPS you can try rotating it a bit

Bruce, can you elaborate on this, as I'm not sure what you mean here. As far as I can see, my TPS is held on by a couple of bolts, so 'revolving' isn't really possible......or maybe I'm missing something.

Please keep those ideas coming, because I need to get to the bottom of this. It's driving me mad.  Angry

Sorry about the delay in replying. Tipped very hot cooking oil over my hand at work last night and needed A&E, Morphine and all the rest. Bit messy!! Really hurts like hell if I'm honest.  Shocked
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 1:58pm »

SD, just had a racing idle on my X300, spent all weekend rebuilding the throttle body trying to sort it. Most TPS are similar, on the AJ16 it's held in beneath the throttle by 2 bolts. In the service manual it says to rotate it and calibrate it with a voltmeter (no idea how to do this) but as you say there's not much 'give' in it. Might be worth undoing the bolts a tad and trying to move it around a fraction or undoing the throttle butterfly stop screw (if you have one Roll Eyes) a bit, just to see if it will idle then. On mine it would idle fine but then latch up to 2500rpm if I revved it (remember the old auto chokes?), trying to adjust the TPS has cured mine for the moment.

Take it easy, bloody painful thing to happen...had a few injuries in my job now Shocked

Regards, Bruce Smiley

IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 2:00pm »

Cheers Bruce.  I'll have a go at this probably on Thursday now, as I'm a wee bit sore today!!

Teach me to be more careful!!  Wink
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 2:09pm »

Ouch! Sounds very nasty, take it easy mate  Smiley
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 4:36pm »

A few of us have been having idle trouble on the XJ. Just got an email back with this by an ex-Jaguar technician:

“The TPS signal is critical to entering the idle speed control.  It is the main signal by which the ECU determines that the throttle is closed and therefore the engine is meant to be idling at a fixed speed.  If the signal from the TPS is too high, the ECU will not trying to control the idle speed.  I assumes that the operator is holding the throttle partially open and will not attempt to set the idle speed..    

The idle control stepper motor goes to a std position based on the transmission’s selection of  drive or neutral and coolant temp. This position is intended to give a slightly high idle speed, the ECU then fine tunes the position to get the idle speed to the correct value.

If the ECU doesn’t think the throttle is actually shut (i.e. the driver is holding the throttle slightly open with the accelerator pedal) it will not try to control the engine speed be modifying the stepper position.”

I know it's Jaguar again but both cars are similar in many ways, may help someone Smiley

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 11:42am »

HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE HERE

Found this too which may be very useful to others, and certainly has helped me to understand this aspect of idle more thoroughly.  Smiley

There are also a large number of TUNING downloads on this site.
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 25th, 2007, 9:33pm »

Thanks Dave. Recovering, and VERY VERY lucky to get away with some large 2nd degree burns over quite a lot of my left hand. About half a pint of almost smoking olive oil....... Shocked  

You're right Bruce. I've managed to have a VERY close look today at the Throttle Position Sensor.  I told my missus that it's occupational therapy....she wasn't impressed.... ROFL  ROFL. Well, got to do my chores haven't I  Grin  Grin

Anyway, as a nurse, I said she needed some practice in changing the dressings...........OUCH!!  Angry  Angry Even less amused.   ROFL  ROFL

It's held on by two very small thin 7mm bolts (GOD you wouldn't want to drop THEM into the engine compartment).., and there's a plate which prevents the bolts from turning. Just a simple anti tamper (yeah right  Grin )  bend over flap on each side.

By flattening out the plate, and slackening off the screws, the TPS can then be rotated 'very' slightly (not much in it), but there IS a definite adjustment area to either the left or right. I've turned it fully anti-clockwise for now, and tightened it down again. Also cleaned the throttle butterfly spindles, chambers and all round that area on both inlets. There was quite a bit of muck in there. I also slackened off the idle screw so that there was no pressure on it whatsoever.
It's now 'just' touching the cable lever assembly.

Then cleaned and checked the TPS plug, and disconnected the battery for a couple of minutes to re-set the systems. I'll let you know how I progress, but it MAY just be a starting point. I'm also going to try and source a new TPS for a reasonable amount, so I'm on with that now.  

Haven't had any time to take it out today, but I'll update tomorrow. I'll rotate it the other way if there's no improvement. Got my spanners with me.  Wink
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 25th, 2007, 10:47pm »

Shocked I say again, ouch! As you say, could have been worse I guess, glad it wasn't  Smiley

Re the TPS, have you had a gander at this page, makes interesting reading:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/obd2scan9.htm
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 25th, 2007, 11:21pm »

Yeah. I've seen this. Trouble is, my 12v 2.9 can't run the OBD2 diagnostic stuff. I gather that none of the 12 valve models are compatible with it, which is a bit of a bummer.

I've actually just put a new post up to seee if anyone can help me to get to grips with this.

thanks anyway. Any advice is always welcome.  Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.