Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 11:24am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« ECT sensor »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   ECT sensor
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ECT sensor  (Read 480 times)
pistonbroke

Email

ECT sensor
« on: Jan 28th, 2007, 10:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello all.

My 24V has a real problem starting in the cold. I've found that the engine coolant temperature is 39 deg C when the ambient air temperature is 3 deg C. IAT reads 3 too.

Everything is fine once the fuelling goes closed-loop, it's just very difficult to start. It was also very "lumpy" as in running on 4 or 5 cylinders when cold so I've changed the spark plugs today and sorted that (they lasted 800 miles then Shocked - I had taken off and jiggled the HT leads already so it was the next logical step).

Is the sensor that feeds the trip computer display the same as I see on the laptop? I've plugged a replacement sensor (from a spare engine) in and get the same "255" reading on the dash.  

I guess it's the next logical step to change the ECT sensor - logic, scorpio, logic, scorpio.... Nope. Doesn't work for me.

Dave
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

Re: ECT sensor
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29th, 2007, 9:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

nice username  Grin

Not sure if it helps much but my 24v shoes 255 on the dash display too, seems to drop to around 80-90 when fully warmed up  Huh  

I think the large temperature sensor with 2 wires is for the ECU, dash diagnostic mode and OBD. The sensor with the single wire is just for the temp guage.

Are the O2 sensors and wiring ok?

You may have to do the chant while standing on one leg and holding an orange bucket - just a thought  Smiley

Cheers
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 29th, 2007, 9:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I think that the ECT only sends data to the ECU. On my 2.3 the temp sender works only he wants to and corresponds to the digital info. For example when engine is cold it reads 255 and the needle is on blue. Sometimes when the engine is hot and the needle is on blue the digital reading still shows 255.  

PS: my engine loom is also coming apart  Sad
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
pistonbroke

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 29th, 2007, 6:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks for the input. I'll see what happens when I put the laptop on it next time. I have a spare ECT sensor (from my spare engine Smiley) and when I plugged that in, the trip computer "eng t" display didn't change. I couldn't be bothered getting the laptop out at the time but I'll see what happens with the replacement sensor at the weekend.

Dave

ps. Lambdas are fine - as soon as it can go closed loop it's able to sustain a smooth idle (well, since I changed the plugs). I have cleaned the IACV so I'm working on the theory that the open loop fuelling is just wrong because the ECT is reading hot when it's cold.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.