Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 5:23pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« I have a Fiesta Encore..showing scorpio tendencies »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   I have a Fiesta Encore..showing scorpio tendencies
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I have a Fiesta Encore..showing scorpio tendencies  (Read 463 times)
bonnietiler

Sense of humour .... Essential!

View Profile

I have a Fiesta Encore..showing scorpio tendencies
« on: Jan 30th, 2007, 8:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I hope someone can help, and don't mind me using the forum, I have just rescued my Son from his dead Fiesta encore....IN MY SCORPIO...What seems to happen is the ign ition/starter fuse seems to blow. I changed the battery and all was fine for a couple of days then it's gone again, as soon as you turn the ignition to engage the starter motor the fuse just pops.I tried a couple of fuses with the same result.. Could it be that the battery has run down some and the starter motor itself is defective?
Any help much appreciated
Regards
Brian
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: I have a Fiesta Encore..showing scorpio tenden
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30th, 2007, 9:16pm »

sounds like an earthing or short circuit problem?
IP Logged

Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 30th, 2007, 10:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I agree, and if it's doing it when you turn the key, then it would suggest either a defective Ignition Switch, or the starter itself may have a faulty component which has almost welded the contacts together or burnt the armature inside it so that it's touching the windings (field coils).

You need to check out the ignition wiring on the car, methodically, from the battery to the starter and to the ignition switch. Check the earth strap, and the positive lead from the battery.

If you're unsure about the starter, then  
THIS might help you.

BE CAREFUL, as you are dealing with some serious voltages here when cranking the engine. Certainly enough to give you a nasty shock or burn.  

Let us know your findings.  Wink
IP Logged
bonnietiler

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 31st, 2007, 10:59am »

Just been and collected car , replaced fuse and it started 1st time...hmmm...I'm leaning towards starter motor (temperature related) rather than ignition switch, I'm assuming it's a relatively easy fix..bolt on bolt off type of thing?
Cheers
Brian
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:31am »

You can't assume that. You need to check the wiring.
Otherwise you could spend good money on a new starter, and find it's just the wiring, or the switch!!

With a bit of luck it just might be a corroded cable from the battery.

Just trying to save you dosh! Yes, you CAN just unbolt the starter, and put a new one on, but it might not be the starter.  Grin

The fact that it keeps blowing fuses, is a sure sign something aint right!!  Wink

You need to get your inspection lamp out, and check the car over. If you can't do it, then I'd pass it to an Auto Electrician. Ignition faults can cause nasty fires in cars due to the high voltages between batteries, starters etc when something shorts out.  Shocked
IP Logged
bonnietiler

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:53am »

Have got the car home, tried the starter, fired instantly, so I hit it again, same result..then again and again , then after the fifth quick turn of the key the starter turned but seemed to jam, then it did it again, then the fuse popped. I've checked the wiring and can find no problems on it anywhere.
I shall get underneath when the rain stops and have a looksee at the starter motor.
Cheers
Brian
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 31st, 2007, 12:27pm »

worn or broken teeth?
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 31st, 2007, 2:04pm »

Hi again Brian:

Yes, seems to point to the starter or the flywheel now if it's jamming. You're going to have to take it off. Don't forget to disconnect the battery before you do so.

Could easily be the inertia pinion on the starter. (The cogwheel bit that flies forward when the starter is energised), and then it's teeth engage with the flywheel to turn the engine.  See HERE

The pinions do jam on the shaft, and you might just be lucky and be able to free it off with WD40 and a rub down with a bit of emery on the shaft. A decent sparks will fit you a new pinion but in all honesty a replacement starter may be the best option, because if it's say the armature that's jamming or defective, (the main shaft in the starter) then replacing that will be non-cost effective. I would have thought that there will be plenty around for the Fiesta's at your local breakers.

Highlander reckons you need a dentist though. They play rough up there in the Highlands!! ROFL  ROFL  ROFL  

IP Logged
bonnietiler

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 3rd, 2007, 1:16pm »

Thank you very much for all advice, I got under the car this AM and removed the old starter and replaced with a brand new 'Unipart' Starter motor, which I bought off E-Bay...Now these are listed at £120 brand new, my local cheapo Ford parts dealer offered a second hand one exchange for £25, then a reconditioned/exchange one for £40, but I got a squeeky clean new one for £35.00 delivered! It's fitted and after 10 starts, one after the other, seems all perfect.
Again many thanks for the advice.
Cheers
Brian
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 3rd, 2007, 4:08pm »

Glad it's all OK again.  Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.