Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 3:22am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Headlights Not Working »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Headlights Not Working
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Headlights Not Working  (Read 1410 times)
olltwit

Englishman Abroad Now Without 2ltr Scorpio

View Profile WWW Email

Headlights Not Working
« on: Jan 31st, 2007, 4:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Apologies if this problem has been answered before. I did a good search and couldn't find a related one.

I have a 2.0 16v 1996 Scorpio and my headlights have decided to stop working. The bulbs are fine, the fuses are fine and the relay is working. Last night the rear tail lights and instrument panel lights decided to join in the strike. I had the switch out today and with a bit of wiggling, low and behold the instrument light and tail lights returned to work. I determined which terminal socket had the problem, gave it and the others a clean and a squirt, end of problem. Except, the dipped beam still refuses to come back to work (obviously wants more money and longer holidays).

The side lights work fine, as do the fogs and high beam. There is a feature called the "Dim-dip lighting system" which provides front lights with a brightness between side a dipped beam. Quite what you would use it for, I'm not sure, but this works fine and it is the headlamp bulbs that seem to be working but at this lower brightness. Is it perhaps this system which is prone to problems and if so, is there a relay that it uses which needs bashing, sorry changing?

Any advice, gratefully received.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Headlights Not Working
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31st, 2007, 5:32pm »

The switches are known to cause problems like this on occasions. Get another swicth and try it.  
Someone on here is almost certain to offer you one for a small fee!
IF you ask. Grin
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 31st, 2007, 6:07pm »

Have you checked fuses 4 and 5. 4 is offside,5 is nearside dipped beam.  They are in the central (Drivers side) fusebox.Relay 3 in the same box covers the dipped beams.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 31st, 2007, 6:15pm »

I have a spare  switch  if you give me an address  Grin
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

olltwit

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:04pm »

Thanks for the replies. Yes, fuses and relays all OK thanks Simmo (short for Simon perhaps, as per my goodself?). I agree snoopy that to try another switch would be a good idea and thanks very much for the kind offer Highlander. However, I'm in Bucharest, Romania, BUT, as luck would have it, my good friend Octavian_P on the forum here, lives just around the corner from me (well across the other side of Bucharest, anyway he's about 1,500 miles closer than you guys), so I'm sure he'll let me try one of his, to see if that's the culprit. There are only about 4 or 5 Scorpios in Bucharest and he's got 2 of them, lucky devil!! Anyway he's a great guy, very helpful, and his English is 100 times better than my Romanian. He recently invited me along to their Ford Owners meeting which was great and they all made me feel very welcome.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:11pm »

Well....  Grin

As luck would have it there is a consignment of Scorpio parts being accumulated here in Edinburgh which will be winging its way to Octavian_P in Romania very shortly Wink

So if that is the problem let me know and i'll pop one in for you.

Stuart
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

olltwit

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 1st, 2007, 12:55am »

Wow, fantastic, thanks Highlander. I will check it out and let you know as it is v unlikely to be able to get one here.
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 1st, 2007, 8:57am »

Hi Simon, been very busy since the meeting, I'm trapped between school (exams) and work. In the following days I'll make some time to meet with you and try with a working switch, also I'll write-up the cd with the pictures from the meeting.

Cheers Stuart, I'll try to check fast the switch with Simon and if that's the culprit maybe you can include it on the package  Grin
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
olltwit

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 1st, 2007, 2:25pm »

Thanks Octavian. I was just about to call you but I wasn't sure whether you are working nights this week, so didn't like to in case you were getting some well earned kip (kip=sleep, but you probably knew that Smiley

I'm not sure the switch is the problem though. Out of curiosity I have just taken it apart and all looks OK. Then I took the top off the relay and when the switch is moved to the headlight position i.e. no.2, click goes the relay and makes the connection. It's this position 1 that puzzles me, giving power to the headlights at presumably a lower amperage to produce this low beam. This works fine but is about as much use to me, as an ashtray on a motorbike. I cannot think why it is a special feature. My guess is that the wiring is as much a misnomer to the people that designed it, as it is to the common end user, so that when they found the headlights kept coming on at this halfway house mode, they tried to fix it but couldn't. So some clever thingy said, "I know, we'll put another position on the switch and call it the 'dim-dip lighting system' and add it to the list of features."

So am I right in thinking that if the relay makes the connection and the fuses are OK, then the harness that comes out of the front of the fuse box, contains the wires that go on to the headlights? I checked the big harness plug on the front and it seems to be clean and well seated. But then surely if the fault is a wiring one, then at least one light should work, as they are both separate, no?
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 1st, 2007, 2:34pm »

Hi Simon, regardless if i work at night, i can't sleep in the day time  Tongue

Until we meet you can have a look at this schematics, don't mind if it stated as sierra ...they are not.  

http://www.carsoft.ru/avtorepair/sierra_el.html
IP Logged

olltwit

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 1st, 2007, 2:38pm »

Grin Priceless!! My above post contained the well used phrase "Clever Richard" in it's usual slang form clever d-i-c-k (noun - an intellectual who is ostentatiously and irritatingly knowledgeable as per dictionary.com) but the forum filter has changed the latter to "thingy". If computers do ever take over, there are going to be a lot of British people in the courts and in jail as a result of misunderstandings over all the colloquialisms we use.
IP Logged
olltwit

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 1st, 2007, 2:50pm »

Thanks Octavian, I'll take a look.
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 11:03am »

Okey, i finally had time to meet with Simon, and tried one of my switches, nope no go.

So heres one for you.  

1. Side lamps on -> head lights give a faint light also
2. Dipped beam -> no head lights
3. High beam -> OK

We have checked the fuses, relays, even swap them with mine....no go. Also we took out the fuse box connector, checked the pins -> OK ..still no joy

Interesting thing is that looking in the fuse box list theres a fuse for a low-dipped beam. On both my Scorpio on sidelights i do not have a low-dipped beam.
IP Logged

VSBlue

scorpio 2.9 v6 12v  Saloon

98853611 98853611   stevev6er  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 2:57pm »

my lights did that this is what i did

i have the same problem they just went out  
my car n reg scorpio 2.9 v6 12v  
the small side / park  bulb lights & main bulb only glows but no dip lights  
high beam /fog works find but to bright to drive with  
a r.a.c .man said i was only getting  6 volts to bulb that why only a glow it was not going up to 12 volts for main beam  
he re wired my high beam to the low beam bulb so i have no high beam or flash now but i can drive at night  
since then i  have changed fuses/relays/switches/bulbs no luck  
wired main bulb to a 12 volt supply they work  
so i bought a wiring kite for spot light  about £6.00  
i am going to wire the dip bulbs up to the kite so it  bypass the main car wiring & have the dip light on a switch  

the lights have been ok after rewiring them
IP Logged

Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 7:13pm »

Thank you

It's exactly the same problem. At the bulbs the voltage is around 6 volts ...

I wander where the loom may break up  Undecided
IP Logged

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 7:22pm »

hi there

check the wiring that runs just about under the radiator (across front of car).

hth
IP Logged
olltwit

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 7:22pm »

Thanks very much for the help yesterday Octavian. I found out in my manual (which I had conveniently left at home when we met), that the single fuse no.18 is for "Dim/dipped light RHD", so it looks like it is only for right hand drive vehicles which is why you don't have it.

Thanks VSBlue, I was thinking of bypassing myself as it is more inviting than taking all the loom out to investigate where it's leaking to earth.

Highlander, thanks very much for the offer of a switch but as Octavian says we tried his but no different. Thanks anyway, much appreciated.
IP Logged
olltwit

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 7:24pm »

I will scorpio_man, thanks for the advice.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.