Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 1:28pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Problems!! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Problems!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Problems!!  (Read 580 times)
Bishy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Problems!!
« on: Feb 1st, 2007, 10:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, I bought a 96 Scorpio Ghia 2.9 12v to tide me over for a while but I'm having a few problems!  

1. It seems to EAT PAS fluid so there's obviously a leak from somewhere - does anyone know an obvious place to start to look? I need to jet wash it as everything is coated in fluid  

2. The rev counter needle jumps all over the place. Roughly seems to follow the engine speed but does literally fly all around the dial -  quite entertaining! Huh

3. Temp gauge sits in the cold segment for most of the time unless I'm in traffic when it goes to level middle (& thankfully never above!) then instantly drops when I move off. I can also smell coolant when its warm so I'm wondering if this is anything to do with a broken heater maxtirx Shocked (praying it's not) but the heater does belt out some nice hot air!  

4. Doesn't really want to start from cold and hold idle. Will start quicker if i press the throttle but if i lift off, it will just die. If I start with the throttle down (not all the way) and keep it there for about 10-15 seconds to help it a bit, its then ok but I know this isn't normal! When accelerating she drives ok, but if in traffic there is a noticable misfire - but this isn't really apparant, if at all - when driving along.  

Any thoughts/help/advice etc would all be very much appreciated.

Thanks
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

Re: Problems!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 1st, 2007, 10:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Bishy.  Welcome to the site.  Smiley

If you read nothing else, then read this.

DO NOT EVER JET WASH UNDER THE BONNET ON SCORPIO ULTIMAS

These cars rely almost totally on the electrics being in 100% good shape.
Jetwashing is the gateway to hell Jetwashing is the gateway to hell Jetwashing is the gateway to hell Jetwashing is the gateway to hell Jetwashing is the gateway to hell Jetwashing is the gateway to hell Jetwashing is the gateway to hell Jetwashing is the gateway to hell Jetwashing is the gateway to hell Jetwashing is the gateway to hell Jetwashing is the gateway to hell Jetwashing is the gateway to hell Jetwashing is the gateway to hell Jetwashing is the gateway to hell
. Just DON'T go there!! Also you MUST have a cover over your battery for the same reason. As you use and explore the site, you'll find out why.

As to your other problems.  

Fluid leak. Split hose, or leaking hose unions are favourite. Wipe away what you can, and then keep checking. If you remove the engine tray and put some paper under the car, then you MAY be able to pinpoint where the leak is coming from more accurately, but please, please, don't jet wash it!!

Flickering needles are usually a sign that your battery may not be up to the job. Try an instrument re-set, and then check your battery voltage.

HERE

When you next start the car, all the needles will jump around. Don't worry. That's quite normal.  

If you have 'rough running ' symptoms, then disconnect the battery for about 2 minutes. Then re-connect it. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR RADIO CODE before you do this.
If you don't have it, then we can give it to you.

Again, when you re-start the car, it may run rough for a few miles. It's learning the settings from the ECU from scratch again, and sometimes this alone can give much better running. Basically it goes back to default, and then learns about YOUR car.

The 12v can be a bit slow off the mark first thing in the day, but a good tune up usually works wonders. How long is it since the car had new plugs, a check inside the distributor etc etc? You'll probably find that a tune will do it good.

Temp gauges on these cars do funny things, but unless you are actually losing water, then it's probably just a Scorpio gauge thing. There is a soldering issue with some instrument panels apparently which makes the gauge inaccurate.

HERE

If you ARE losing water, then obviously that's another story.  Wink

Hope this helps you. I have a 12v 2.9 too.

IP Logged
Bishy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 1st, 2007, 11:41am »

Hi, Thanks very much for your help!! Much appreciated!

I don't seem to have the code anywhere so what information do I need to give you in order to get this?  

Thanks again, Matt
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 1st, 2007, 11:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You would need to remove your radio (I assume that it's the Ford unit), and post the Serial Number.

A number of us have the software to then give you your radio code, which you'll need anyway if you disconnect your battery at any time.

The number is almost always on a sticker on the back of the radio. Also let us know what radio it is (usually RDS6000 or RDS7000 on your model)  Smiley
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 1st, 2007, 2:52pm »

The other place where you can 'loose'fluid without it being obvious is into the steering rack gaiters. They will swell up and eventually burst but you should be able to find out if there is any in there by simply squeezing them. As S/D says on no account use a pressure washer in the engine bay.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 1st, 2007, 4:15pm »

on Feb 1st, 2007, 10:43am, Spannerdemon wrote:
DO NOT EVER JET WASH UNDER THE BONNET ON SCORPIO ULTIMAS

Nope but I guess it's ok to use one on the engine bay of a lowly 2.9 Ghia, eh? Roll Eyes. The best way in my humble opinion to clean it is the old fashioned paraffin and brush method, doesn't corrode anything and melts dirt and oil like magic Wink.

My take on your points:

1- Also check the rubber hoses going to the pump (on the lower drivers side at the front of the engine on the 2.3), this leaked fluid for ages on mine, Ford reckoned I needed a new pump but replacing the jubilee clips cleared it.

2- Coule be a failing sensor, somebody else should know more. Sounds quite a simple fix though.

3- Jammed open thermostat? does it take ages to warm up in the morning? Could also be the temperature sender but jammed thermostat is the favourite. You may have a slight leak in the matrix but if it doesn't lose much and puts out warm air then don't worry too much Wink

4- Everyone lately seems to be having starting/idle troubles. Favourite is the idle air valve (the fact that it stalls if you let go of the throttle pedal) or the throttle position sensor (TPS). Look back through some recent posts, Spannerdemon has been having TPS trouble Wink

Hope this helps and happy driving Smiley

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
v4-max aka Cheekyboy1

focus cc  mk3 mondeo 2.0 auto cbx750 vt600

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 3rd, 2007, 1:56pm »

my 24 v had same starting problems too yours, was due to battery not having enough power.  i charged it up took it for a run and have'nt had a problem since.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.