Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 10:24pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« cd multichanger issue »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   cd multichanger issue
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: cd multichanger issue  (Read 657 times)
DazRSK

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

cd multichanger issue
« on: Feb 12th, 2007, 1:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi

I would really appreciate some advice on a cd multichanger issue I have at the moment and wondering if any of you guys  have experienced this issue / know how to fix this and would kindly be able to point me in the right direction.

I have the early Scorpio Ultima with the early slim fit 7000 ? head unit and multichanger in the boot - just the standard fit to a '95 Ultima.

I recently noticed the changer wasn't playing a cd and would scroll through the whole magazine showing "check disc" on the head unit screen for each cd. After the changer had rotated through all 6 cds, the unit reverted to the radio. After a bit of the cd changer influencing via the palm of the hand, it started playing the discs. It's been fine for a while but I had a sneeky suspicion that I was in for the long haul on this one - problems like this don't just appear and miraculously disappear.

Anyway, now it won't play any disc again and the same message broadcasts across the head unit - check disc. I even tried a cd laser cleaner - that disc isn't accepted either. I think the cds are moving into the changer from the magazine but god alone knows what happens from there.

Before I go spending out on another changer, are there any remedies you know of ? I have read somewhere on here about an earth lead issue near the changer ?

If not - do you know if same era Mondeo changers would do the job as a replacement as when looking on e-bay or the like ? Is the wiring the same ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.  

Thanks.

Daren
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: cd multichanger issue
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 2:07pm »

The 'earth' issue you refer to is Here. Scroll down to 'Interior Concerns'.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
DazRSK

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 2:21pm »

Thanks Simmo - fantastic help. I knew I had seen a thread on this but I couldn't remember where / find it again. I couldn't for the life of me think where the resolution was for this in the handbook pages on here either.

I have checked the section you refer to and will have a look at this later on.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 2:25pm »

This page about the radios  may also help.  Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 4:28pm »

also, have you ever cleaned the cd lens? over the years they gather dust etc and can 'skip'. you can buy a lens cleaner from any record/computer shop for under a tenner....
IP Logged

DazRSK

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 6:04pm »

Taliban - thanks for your advice here. I have a cd which is supposed to be a lens cleaner but are you referrring to something different which cleans it ?

The issue I have is that my cd method of cleaning the lens won't work as the cd does not play, therefore, does not clean.

If you could let me know what you have good experience of with regard to this - I will ask for it in a record / computer shop.

Thanks again.  

IP Logged
DazRSK

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 6:06pm »

on Feb 12th, 2007, 2:25pm, Simmo wrote:
This page about the radios  may also help.  Smiley

Simmo - thanks again - this is also very useful.

Daren
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 6:18pm »

I'm with Tali, I get a lot of old 'non working' CD players Wink

Ultrasonic (I believe they're called) CD head cleaners are ok but not if the pickup is too dirty. If you can get it apart, tape head cleaner is the best thing to use but the pickup could also be worn or one or two other things...

The fact that it puts out an error message about the disc says that the connections with the head unit are intact.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 6:35pm »

daz, thats the type of cleaner i mean, the brushes on the cleaning disc clean off dust etc, have you tried using it?
as tiberius said, if the lens is too dirty the cleaning disc might not work, so carefully take the unit apart and clean the leans manually (and any rollers in the mechanism). tape head cleaner is the best stuff if you can get it, if not, maybe photographic lens cleaner, or maybe carb cleaner?
IP Logged

DazRSK

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 12:01pm »

Guys

Thanks for your help and assistance here - this is really appreciated. It certainly saves me £70-100 in going out buying another changer if it is only a cleaning process which is required.  

TiberiuS - thanks for your advice that it isn't the cable which is at fault, given the feedback to the head unit - hopefully the issue is as local as the lens and rollers being cleaned. I shall have a look this weekend in the daylight and let you know.

Thanks again - it never ceases to amaze me how informative the people on this forum are and how there are so many people on here who know a simple & cheap cure for most problems with these vehicles - it really is appreciated

Daren
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 12:09pm »

There's one on Ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-SCORPIO-ULTIMA-6-DISC-BOOT-CHANGER_W0QQitemZ2 50082909680QQihZ015QQcategoryZ21654QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
IP Logged
DazRSK

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 12:45pm »

Jonnycab - well spotted and thanks. I will keep an eye on this. I will try to sort the issue out with mine through the methods suggested above - however, should that fail, I may be bidding.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.