Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 2:28pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Air-Con freezing up again, need to isolate mod »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Air-Con freezing up again, need to isolate mod
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Air-Con freezing up again, need to isolate mod  (Read 447 times)
Penguin

Scorpio Owner 12/05 - 7/07

View Profile

Air-Con freezing up again, need to isolate mod
« on: Feb 14th, 2007, 3:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dear all

My air-con seems to be running until it freezes every time it is engaged.  

Now as my system is modded I want to disconnect the mod first to rule that out, but I don't want to uninstall the mod because that may not be the problem.  

Because (according to the CC Mod page) the switch is on a parallel circuit to the main unit, would it be sufficient to simply cut one of the switch's wires at the thingypit end to completely disconnect the mod?  

(That way I would be able to easily reconnect it if it turns out that the problem is elsewhere.)  

Would that work?  

Cheers

Paul

IP Logged
Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

Re: Air-Con freezing up again, need to isolate mod
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14th, 2007, 4:26pm »

on Feb 14th, 2007, 3:59pm, Penguin wrote:

Because (according to the CC Mod page) the switch is on a parallel circuit to the main unit, would it be sufficient to simply cut one of the switch's wires at the thingypit end to completely disconnect the mod?  

Yes - the switch's first connection 'off' should make no circuit in the loop so the system defaults back as if no switch is installed - you could completely disconnect the switch and test it with a simple battery and bulb - if you need any help - PM me!

Dave
IP Logged
TaperOne

135k 98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 14th, 2007, 4:26pm »

Hi Paul,

when I disconnected my Mod in 2005, thats pretty much all I did. In fact, I just removed the Mod from the connectors I installed in the coin box and left it at that. Its still in the coin box. As you said, the wires are in parallel. Just make sure you insulate the cut end.

HTH

Cheers

Pete H
IP Logged
Penguin

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 14th, 2007, 4:31pm »

Thanks, I'll do that. I reckon it's probably not the mod (which is why I don't want to uninstall it completely until I've checked). I'll see how it goes.  

Cheers

Penguin

PS - If I spelt the word as cackpit instead would it get through?  Cheesy
IP Logged
Neil W

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 14th, 2007, 5:55pm »

I also had my CC freezing up after installing the mod, even when it was in the "off" position. Later on I found the thermister was faulty, but after replacing it with a new one, I still got freezing up and the mod wasn't even in the circuit.

Further checks revealed that the new thermister probe was not quite straight when I installed it in the box; it is important to be very gentle when fitting it back in as even a tiny mis-alignment will cause freezing of the CC.

Cheers,

Neil W.
IP Logged

1998 Scorpio Ultima Cosworth facelift saloon, reg S896VOG. Sold Feb 2010. Now own Mercedes-Benz E320 CDi.
Penguin

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 15th, 2007, 1:55pm »

Well I disconnected the mod at the thingypit end and the system still ran to freezing.  So thinking the problem was likely to be in the themistor alignment (as mentionned above) I thought it would have to go off to the air-con man.  So I connected the mod back up, ran the car the car and the air-con worked fine.

Shocked

I take it, therefore, that something's loose - any clues as to what and if I (not particualrly mechanical) could locate it and fix it myself?  

Cheers

Penguin
IP Logged
Neil W

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 15th, 2007, 4:20pm »

Hi,

I assume you did not touch the thermister itself during the miracle cure  Grin.

All I can suggest is re-check your connections, wires, and the rotary switch used in the modification set-up. Could the switch have a loose connection, perhaps?

Alternatively, as the AC is now working correctly, leave everything alone until the fault re-appears  Undecided.

Cheers,

Neil W.
IP Logged

1998 Scorpio Ultima Cosworth facelift saloon, reg S896VOG. Sold Feb 2010. Now own Mercedes-Benz E320 CDi.
Ultima2300

RIP Blue 2.3 Ultima / White 2.0 8v Executive

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Feb 15th, 2007, 5:22pm »

Now there's been some serious responses...please can I insert a joke about Penguin freezing?

Sorry, I really had to get that off my chest. Please write your own punchline...........................here

Geoff
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.