Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 12:16am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« my scorp is sick....... »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   my scorp is sick.......
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: my scorp is sick.......  (Read 792 times)
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

my scorp is sick.......
« on: Feb 20th, 2007, 1:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

right then, you might recal that recently i noticed the pulley on my crank had a slight wobble, well the past few days the wobble has been less, but, this morning while driving at slow speed i lost the power steering and the battery light came on, i pulled over thinking belt had gone, but it looked fine. i then pulled away, everything ok. this happened a couple of times at low revs, but, now there is a horrible constant rumbling from the belt area, i lose some power steering when parking etc, but other than that the car seems to drive fine, tickover ok, revs ok, temp ok, checked oil. is it the belt tensioner due for renewell and probably the belt, or something worse?
IP Logged

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: my scorp is sick.......
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20th, 2007, 1:35pm »

Maybe the P/S pump bearings have gone.

Not familiar with the diesel, but if you can get the belt off easily, then you could turn all the pulleys by hand & feel for any movement/resistance  Smiley

Good luck  Wink
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 20th, 2007, 1:41pm »

cheersv jonny, gives me ideas....
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 20th, 2007, 2:20pm »

Sorry to hear that Phil. Good luck with sorting it  Sad Mike.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 20th, 2007, 10:56pm »

the top mechanic at the bus garage is having a look tomorrow, he's said he probably wont have time to fix it, but at least he'll be able to tell what it is (hopefully), as he said it could steering pump bearings, tensioner etc, im just worried that its the big ends, but then i would've thought it would seize by now, as it is it ticks over fine and revs fine, its just this horrible noise that worries me......
IP Logged

Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 1:03am »

Big end bearings gone....I thought that was something that only happened on dragsters & old Cortinas  Wink.... never heard of it in modern cars  Undecided

On reading your post more carefully, you mention that the crank pulley seems to wobbles slightly........my crank pulley also seems to wobble sightly.

I was assured by the guy that replaced the crankshaft oil seal a few months back that the wheel was slightly distorted & was nothing to do with the big end bearing or loose pulley nut  Smiley

Also you mentioned the battery light coming on.....wouldn't that point to the alternator pully bearings on the way out ?.....

Had this on an L reg Mondeo diesel I once owned....the battery light came on a couple of times over the space of a few days, & when the alternator finally did seize, the belt caught alight  Shocked........I had to use the fire extiguisher that I carry to put it out  Huh

Also...had the tensioner go on my previous new shape Mondeo & that made a rumbling sound.  
One garage diagnosed the aircon pump & another diagnosed the alternator........
I wasn't convinced......few days later the sound got real bad, so had a look & could see the tensioner pulley wobbling side to side.
A new tensioner was a lot cheaper than what the garages had diagnosed  Roll Eyes

Anyway......Good luck Phil & hope it's a cheap fix  Wink

P.S.....had the pleasure of driving a brand new Scorp 2.5 diesel back in April '97, when I started working for a Brentwood Taxi firm.

They had a deal with Ford (HQ -Brentwood). Ford would supply new cars to them & then recall them periodically for wear & tear.

This brand new TD Scorp had less than 2000 miles on it, & I have got to admit, once that turbo kicked in, it felt like it had nitrous injection  Cool

Around town it was very economical, but on the motorway at 80ish, it seemed you could see the guage needle drop before your eyes & you felt like you needed to find a petrol station quick  Wink

IP Logged
Gasguzzla

What is YaBB anyway?

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 1:55am »

Got exactly the same problem... Horrible grinding/scraping noise coming from the front of the engine. Tried spraying WD40 on each pulley in turn with no result...

So here's hoping you find out what it is before my playing very loud music waiting for something to fall off works.

Btw I used to go on the MCN forums a few years ago and there was a Taliban on there....... No, it couldn't possibly be...
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 2:22am »

The taliban that was on MCN a few years ago could have been an Afghan sympathiser that was trying to put some kind of anti-western/pro Taliban propganda onto a forum in the hope that the gullible might be reading  Wink  ROFL

I don't think that Phil is really a Taliban sympathist, he just goes by the moniker of Taliban......I hope  Grin

Ever considered another Scorp site name ?  Wink
IP Logged
Gasguzzla

What is YaBB anyway?

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 9:13am »

Another name... Well Gasguzzla is a bit unfortunate but I couldnt think of anything when I registered. I had a cup with GUZZLA+ sitting in front of me....... Tongue

How about Bigtraaiiiinn........?
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 11:21am »

I've got one of those mugs with Guzzla+ written on it........Got mine from Rizla  Grin
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 11:36am »

Gas yes! it is me Grin, there is only ONE Taliban Cool!
i remember when i joined mcn, got a few threats lol... i rarely go on there now, but flit between there and nodding dogs...

just in case anyone wondered about the taliban bit; many years ago when i was joining the mcn site i couldnt think of a name, all the good ones relating to my bike etc had gone, then i heard the word taliban mentioned on the news in the background, and that was that really....
IP Logged

Ultima2300

RIP Blue 2.3 Ultima / White 2.0 8v Executive

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 11:43am »

Thank the Lord it wasn't an item on child molesting Shocked

Geoff
IP Logged
ml

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 11:47am »

Quote:
Also you mentioned the battery light coming on.....wouldn't that point to the alternator pully bearings on the way out ?.....

I experienced similar trouble with an diesel astra van i once owned. sure enough the alternator bearing had broken up, although it still worked (for a short time) just made an almighty racket. Had to keep lifting bonnet and physically pulling the wheel away from the alternator casing to silence it.  Smiley

hth
Mark
IP Logged

taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 11:49am »

jonny, your thead gives me hope; it has that coffee grinder clunking bearing kinda noise, but i would've thought if it was the big end the thing would've seized by now. the belt is obviously slipping for some reason and gets pretty hot, hotter than i would think is normal. the trouble is most of the drives/pulleys are bolted directly to the engine block which then acts as a resonator/amplifier for any noise making things sound horrific. im taking it into work so he can suss out what it is, he's already said he doesnt have time to fix it, but at least then i can go to a garage and specify what i want rather than them picking on the most expensive item and ordering it brand new from ford.....
IP Logged

taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 11:53am »

ml, yeah could be the alternator, but i spose could be any of the pulleys that have bearings causing the belt to slacken.....
IP Logged

taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 11:08pm »

hopefully good news; engineer at work had a look and suggested i start with the tensioner, he could move it with his hand, it is slightly offset, and there is fresh swarf near it.
now, do i take it to a garage, or do it myself, hmmmmm.....
on another good note, my eel skin cowboy boots arrived today Grin
IP Logged

Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 1:20am »

...Eel skin cowboy boots  Cool......I bet they slip on & off real easy  Grin
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 11:38am »

not as easily as my snakeskin ones  Cool
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.