Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 26th, 2024, 3:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Engine stops/looses power/fusebox? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Engine stops/looses power/fusebox?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Engine stops/looses power/fusebox?  (Read 1594 times)
Terje

Scorpio 95-2.0 Classic

View Profile WWW

Engine stops/looses power/fusebox?
« on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 2:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

So, im still working on my car (wich has been a big desapointment) A Ford Scorpio 95 2.0 DOCH station vagon.
After fixing the heater blower fan and issues with my cooling fans (partially fixed) I now are facing a much bigger problem.

I live in Norway, the weather where i live is a little creazy jumping from +5 c to -15 c in the same day.
I have always been careful and have always filled up with condense remover when the wether has been like this.

My problems appair espechially when there has been alot of air humidity leaving the car very hard to start, and when it starts it can suddenly stop after a while, even when im driving and try to prevent the stop by using my gears it can stop.
This occures very often.

Also the car engine looses power, espechially when accelerating. I cant hurry out before other cars in sections etc anymore.
This do not occure as often as above.

Now the problems are only getting worse and worse, so bad that the other day my car could not drive up any kind of hills and on a strait road i could only drive at 20 kmph .. If i pushed to car to over 2000rpm it would stop.
Note that the engine got very hot during this (not boiling but not far from red on the gauge)

It ended up with that i had to leave the car right there and walk home.

This all seems like a severe condence problem, but it's worth noting that I had just filled the car up with gas, to the top and poored condense remover in the gas, so im thinking that there should not be much condense in the system ?
But on the other hand this was done the same day as i had to leave the car.

To sum it up
Car stops if i push it over 2000rpms
Car gets very hot
There has been very shifting wether here latelly +5c / -15c in the same day.
car is not accelerating as it should (when it runs pretty much normal)
If air humidity is high the car has almost all of the above problems.
Car is very hard to start, sometimes so hard to start that i drain my battery of power.

In the summertime when raining it shows pretty much the same symptoms, but things has newer been as bad as they are right now.

What excactly can it be? or where is the condense?, what can I do to remove the symptoms ?
IP Logged

Buy Ford, be a Mechanic
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Re: Engine stops/looses power.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 2:52am »

fpr?
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
Terje

Scorpio 95-2.0 Classic

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 2:57am »

on Feb 22nd, 2007, 2:52am, tintin wrote:
fpr?

What is fpr ?

Edit: aha Fuel pressure regulator.  

Looking at the Fault Finder it seems so to me to.  
Also the stuff about the drain holes around the fuse boxes might seem relevant.  

Another edit:
I just realised it can be a big varaity of things, Faulty loom, Fuel pressure regulator, condense/water in fuseboxes, Catalyst, Lost TPS position and more.  

It's pretty much like an lottery, wich part should I buy and replace with first?
IP Logged

Buy Ford, be a Mechanic
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 3:19am »

From what you've said, then the car may have more than one problem  Undecided

If it's getting very hot, then I would first change the thermostat to see if there is any improvement. Also your cooling fans may still not be working efficiently.

Regarding the the car loosing power & being hard to start in high humidity, then it could be the ignition loom, plugs, HT leads or coil packs getting damp. Do you have the engine top cover fitted ?

Could also be a fuel delivery problem...ie, fuel pump/filter, fuel rail pressure regulator or the injectors.

I'm sure you've had this advice before....but I would advise you get a full diagnostic scan if you can, because there seems to be an array of problems which I don't think would be caused by just one particular thing  Smiley

No doubt someone else will be along soon to offer a bit more & maybe different advice....so fingers crossed  Smiley

Good luck  Wink

IP Logged
Terje

Scorpio 95-2.0 Classic

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 3:27am »

hmm, no I don't have any top cover, but reading the fusebox thingy Topcovers only apply to cars built after 96 ? maby I missunderstood, but if you are meaning the cover over my battery i do not have one.

I also beleive that this is not my only problem with the car, i would goto a repairshop and get a full diagnostic check if i could afford it, but unfortuantly i can't right now. .

But anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed as you suggest Smiley
thanks for your reply
IP Logged

Buy Ford, be a Mechanic
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 3:32am »

I meant the cover on top of the engine which covers the coils, HT leads & loom  Smiley

But as you say, you have no battery cover......then that could well be the problem.....with no battery cover water can easily get into the fusebox & also drip down onto the ECU if there is a hole under the battery.

All sorts of weird things can happen then  Wink
IP Logged
Terje

Scorpio 95-2.0 Classic

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 3:46am »

Ok, well that cover i do have, now I agree that no battery cover might be a big problem..
Come to think of it theres often been water/condense inside the auxilery fusebox lid top, where the diagram of the fuses are, it's been condensed, not much but theres small drops of water, This is probably a very good indication that there's condense inside the fusebox ? or is this normal with some condense on the top ?

If it's most likelly the fusebox that is causing my problems, what do I do about it?
IP Logged

Buy Ford, be a Mechanic
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 4:05am »

It's not normal to have condensation in the fusebox cover....this means there is water in the fusebox  Shocked

It's a fair assumption to say that the wet fusebox is causing the problems that you are having.

I've never had a problem with a wet fusebox, but others have.

Someone else with more knowledge could advise you better  Smiley

No doubt, in the morning, you will get some good advice  Wink
IP Logged
Terje

Scorpio 95-2.0 Classic

View Profile WWW

Re: Engine stops/looses power/fusebox?
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 4:13am »

Ok, well i'll wait then Smiley
But thanks for clarifying that, I had the impression that some condense in the fusebox cover was normal, don't ask me why but that just made sense to me, as it is such a "closed" area that the major temprature differences there can be here simply would cause condense even there.. Well anyway, this sure could explain alot of my other problems to, so im actually hoping that this is the problem, atleast theres only one part to replace/repair ...

I study'd the "fusebox repair" manual, that is definantly to advanced for me Smiley (for most I would beleive)
IP Logged

Buy Ford, be a Mechanic
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 4:33am »

Good luck Terje....but I still reckon the overheating is due to faulty thermostat  Wink

If you want one, then I've a couple of spare ones (used, but fine).....PM me your address & I'll send one over  Smiley
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 8:04am »

hi there

re the drop in power and temp issue. it could be the cat blocking the exhaust. when my cat went, it blocked the exhaust and at times foot flat to the floor was 30mph!  

give it a hit and see if it rattles.

btw, i didn't have any temp issue at the time, so you need to look at this as well.

hth
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 11:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Check your ECU and make sure the pins and the plug are dry. It's under the glovebox.  Wink
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 1:16pm »

Damp electrics is never good but it actually does sound like a cat and as Andrew and Jonnycab says thermostat
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
Terje

Scorpio 95-2.0 Classic

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 4:42pm »

Here's an update.
I went down and tryed to start my car, at idle it runned like a charm, no problems, now when i tryed to rise the RPM a little it started running worse, trying different RPM's gave different result, as soon as i got over 3000rpm it started "cuaghing" and was very erratic and rpm was forced down to under 1000 rpm, If i flored it the car would eventually stop.

there was no difference what so ever when engine was cold or when engine was hot.
Also, the smoke coming out from the exhaust was black as night and very smelly, and full of co2, I accidentaly put my girlfriends car behind mine, after i had been testing it for a while i got back to my girlfriends car, inside there was so much smoke and co2 so i had to drive with the window down for a good while.

Also i did hear a high frequent sound i havent heard before.

I called the previous owner (finally got hold of he's phone number) and asked if he had any of the problems i described, no he had not, but he could remember something that happend during the summer right before i bought the car, it was that suddenly one day he discovered that there was some sort of a fiber cloth hanging out of the end of the Exhaust pipe, the fiber thingy was dark grey, and very difficult to pull out of the exhaust pipe.  
Well he apparently removed what he could, he did not think about it any more, he simply tought that some kids probably where out to make problems for hem, he did not beleive it be something from the exhoust it selves.

So i guess i must exhange the whole exhoust system ? or only the catalyst or what do you think ?
IP Logged

Buy Ford, be a Mechanic
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 4:51pm »

hi there

looks like the answer. cat's gone. you need to take the exhaust off and see if you can shake the cat 'bricks' out of it. same with the cat itself.

you'll need to get a new cat for a MOT test (if your country has one).

hth
IP Logged
Terje

Scorpio 95-2.0 Classic

View Profile WWW

« Reply #15 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 5:08pm »

Well, i guess i will test with removing the exhaust system right before the cat and start the engine first, if it runs normal maby im in luck and i dont need to replace the cat, but i doubt it. replacing the cat seems like to technical for me to handle so i think i'll turn it into an repair shop..
IP Logged

Buy Ford, be a Mechanic
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 5:15pm »

hi there

the bit's that were being pulled out of the exhaust is the cat!  

see how you get on with clearing the exhaust and let us know.

hth
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 5:16pm »

With the temperature problem, check whether the rad hoses are getting hot and whether the cooling fans switch on.

Damp electrics can cause a problem but it'd be more misfire and error codes I'd have thought - if the engine is getting 'choked', it sounds like the cat from what you've found but you could also check the fuel pressure at the injector rail, bad regulator or pump/filters would choke the engine at higher RPMs and kill power output...just had similar myself.

Good luck Smiley

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Terje

Scorpio 95-2.0 Classic

View Profile WWW

« Reply #18 on: Feb 27th, 2007, 12:01am »

Hi guys.. Thanks for all the help so far.

Ok, so I have now cleared out the exhaust, and the problem is still there.
Now Im thinking next logic step would be to exchange the Fuel Pressure regulator, but im not to sure what part to replace.. I found a part that seems to be the correct one, but I jus want to make sure.

It says "Weber - Made in Italy" on the part.
Please check the image below and see if i have marked the correct part.

Also, the other part marked can unscrew, should I replace that one to while im at it ? (seems to be a regulator of some sort to, possibly for vaakum)
------
Finally about 30 cm back (toward the front) of the marked weber part and a little to the left there is some other part connected to a multiplug, the part is about 4 cm big and seem to have some transparant plastic on it. See the picture below (bad quality unfortuantly)..
Question, What part is that ?, should i replace that to ?

If anyone could help me out I would really apprishiate it.

IP Logged

Buy Ford, be a Mechanic
Terje

Scorpio 95-2.0 Classic

View Profile WWW

« Reply #19 on: Feb 27th, 2007, 2:16am »

Ok, I think maby the last picture is the Trottle Position Sensor (?), but where is the FPR ?  Tongue
IP Logged

Buy Ford, be a Mechanic
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.