Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 7:20pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« STEERING HAS A MIND OF ITS OWN »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   STEERING HAS A MIND OF ITS OWN
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: STEERING HAS A MIND OF ITS OWN  (Read 483 times)
dogma

THE IVE NOT GOT A CLUE MONSTER

View Profile Email

STEERING HAS A MIND OF ITS OWN
« on: Feb 23rd, 2007, 1:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, dogma here again. Well now I have yet another problem. Has anyone experienced this.  While driving along my car seems to constantly sort of over steer, cant keep it in a nice streight line at all Shocked.  If I really accelorate the car trys to steer to the left, its not to bad below 30mph but once above it starts to have a mind of its own ROFL. I ended up in scotland last night but wanted devon ha ha. But seriously its starting to worry me, theres no vibrations or occelations, fine other wise, could it be the power steering pump, any ideas guys and girls Embarassed, jim
IP Logged

LIKE MY CAR, WIDE WITH BIG TYRES
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: STEERING HAS A MIND OF ITS OWN
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23rd, 2007, 2:48pm »

hi there

check to see if one of the brakes is binding on. if they are ok, get your steering alignment checked asap, before you damage your tyres.  

if the alignment is ok, then i'd go for worn ball joint on the wishbone. this can throw the steering on the road, all over the place.  

hth
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 23rd, 2007, 2:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Also could be as simple as incorrect tyre pressures, or even mis-matched/wrong size tyres.  Wink
IP Logged
Jim

1996  2.3    115k and rising

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 23rd, 2007, 6:08pm »

It could also be the large bush at the back of the wishbone. I know this seems like a tyre kickers thing but it does work. Hand brake on, in park and wheels straight. Put your foot on the front of the tyre towards the top and give it a swift push. There should be no appreciable movement of the wheel. If the bush is worn there will be quite a large movement.
Jim
IP Logged

Jim
jenks

2.9 12V Scorp

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 23rd, 2007, 9:43pm »

had a rear wheel bearing collapse on mine, it made the back wheel periodically lock up and screwed up the hub. Made a metal clanging noise when moving off - you REALLY dont want it to be this!
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 25th, 2007, 12:33am »

Sounds like either  the steering rack is shot  or  front wishbone  Barney Rubble,  most likely soft  rear bushes  or  worn  lower ball joint.

The rear bush can be replaced  quite cheaply but to replace the lower balljoint  a complete new    wishbone  is  required .
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 25th, 2007, 1:15am »

There is alot of stuff in the front that can affect road holding...especially on faster roads with lorry gulleys.

I had a real bad problem with road holding above 50mph...

First I replaced the front wishbone rear bushes & put two new front tyres on & it was better, but not perfect.
Ended up replacing both wishbones & steering rack (drop-links 8 months ago)....problem sorted...

Car drove nice & straight after all this work, but still had a knock on uneven roads  Huh

On checking the anti roll bar (un-bolting the drop links at either end)....it had too much free movement & was knocking on the bottom of the engine (bushes gone).

New anti roll bar bushes stopped the knocking  Wink

Car now goes in a lovely straight line & speed humps/lorry gulleys/large puddles are no longer a problem  Smiley

P.S...Dogma......it defo ain't the P/S pump  Wink
IP Logged
dogma

THE IVE NOT GOT A CLUE MONSTER

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 25th, 2007, 3:08am »

Big thanks mate, i know what you mean buy the gulleys, if i go on a road where they are quite deep they try to steer the car for me lol, well i got some ideas now, many thanks to all
jim Grin
IP Logged

LIKE MY CAR, WIDE WITH BIG TYRES
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.