Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 7:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« DOUBLE TROUBLE PROBLEM »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   DOUBLE TROUBLE PROBLEM
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: DOUBLE TROUBLE PROBLEM  (Read 1242 times)
dogma

THE IVE NOT GOT A CLUE MONSTER

View Profile Email

DOUBLE TROUBLE PROBLEM
« on: Feb 28th, 2007, 12:17am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anybody had the following problems -  
no heating and temp gadge moves but only stays on cold unless car is left running stationary for a while, i,e over cooling.
Also slow in acceloration as if not firing on all cylinders or like choke staying on.  For a 2.9 i would expect it to go better than this, although i know they are not a sports car.
the air filter seems ok and the same with the plugs, little bit puzzled. Undecided
Any help would be greatly appreciated
IP Logged

LIKE MY CAR, WIDE WITH BIG TYRES
Spannerdemon

Email

Re: DOUBLE TROUBLE PROBLEM
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 5:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

If it's slow in acceleration then you definitely have a problem. The 12v 2.9 will out accelerate most other cars effortlessly, and should comfortably and easily exceed 120mph.  

I have one of these models, and they can really shift. Believe me. I recently had a call from Dorchester Hospital to attend urgently following a very serious family accident. My Mum who is 90 had tripped and fallen, gashing her head open on  the corner of a wall, and lost a huge amount of blood. She was very, very lucky to survive. She has now fully recovered.

My Scorp got me to the hospital scarily fast. Like in just over 70 minutes from Torquay. And that's all I'm saying M'lud!!  Grin

I still have a gut feeling that your TPS is dodgy. (Ref your other posts recently). If your throttle isn't behaving, then you need to sort it out. Also check that your ECU pins aren't wet or damp. The ECU is in a tray under the glovebox. It just drops down after you undo the clip. You'll need a 10mm spanner/socket to remove the plug.

Ref cooling. If the car runs hot (normal heating) when stationary, then there isn't much wrong. Don't forget that in cold weather the amount of cold air passing through the front of the car, and around the engine (these are big engine bays), will certainly affect the heating. Changing the thermostat MAY help as the one in the car may well have been there for many years and have become inefficient.  

You CAN test it by dangling it in water and checking the opening temperature, but as you've got to get it out to do this, personally, I'd change it for a new one rather than mess around. Then you'd KNOW it's OK.  Wink
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 8:12am »

Cooling fans on permanantly?  
Or the thermostat may be missing altogether Wink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

pinto

TD04 on a galaxy manifold ? whooooooosh !

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 8:35am »

I'd bet on the thermostat being faulty, and probably the most cost effective start to troubleshooting Smiley
IP Logged
dogma

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 2:37pm »

Big thanks for your advice guys and spanner man,I hope your mum is on the mend Embarassed  Well I will be busy now lol so will report back from the field lol Grin
IP Logged

mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 5:09pm »

My temp gauge  needle hardly stirs itself  from  the  blue either, I suspect the thermostat is stuck open.

I'm reluctant to replace it as    the plastic housing  bolts   look  very  likely  to snap,   and ,   knowing my luck ,    leaving   the  remainder  of  the bolt  in  the  block  and   making   a  30min. job   turn   into   a nightmare.

I'm a pessemist you know  Sad
IP Logged
dogma

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 5:48pm »

Hi, I ordered a new throttle position sensor and thermostat from fords which should be ready for tomorow, no cheap tho, the whole lot comes to 68 pound, the thermostat costs 16 pound for your ref, will fit all parts hopefully tomorow and will let you know.
With regards to most bolts and nuts that look a bit iffy, a good squirt of WD40 should usuall help, even sometimes with the plastic ones. Will let you know how I get on, many thanks for all replys
jim Grin
IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 1st, 2007, 12:14am »

Think yourself lucky, new TPS for my car cost me £140 alone, another £120 for the ISCV if I'd needed it Roll Eyes

Don't go into performance saloon territory, it'll cost you dear Wink

Hope you sort it mate Smiley. I'm not convinced the TPS is at fault but I hope it works for you Wink

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Mar 1st, 2007, 6:39pm »

The coolant gauge should get up to (and stay in) the white area after about 10 minutes driving.  If it's not getting that far unless the car is stationary then I'd bet on a stuck or missing thermostat (assuming the gauge is working correctly) and that'd also explain the lack of heating.  One way to tell would be to mask off the radiator with a large sheet of cardboard in front of it and see if that helps, the other is to compare the temperature of the radiator top hose with the heater matrix 'feed' hose as the car warms up - top hose should stay cool until the gauge shows well into the white area.

Darren

IP Logged
dogma

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 3:31am »

Hi all, well i fitted a new TPS and a thermostat.  The car seems to be running a little better although it some times seems to hold back on acceloration, other times she certainly shifts, ill put that down to age and milage.  The temp gadge works a lot better now but, if it sits statioary for a while, and i then put heating on, it blow out warm air for a few seconds before then blowing cool, if the car is in motion i get cool air.  Ill try and cover the front of the rad next, i know this was a common fault of the old black cabs once lol. Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 3:58am »

Sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings dogma....but it sounds as though your heater matrix may be blocked.....

.......changed thermostat but still blows cold at speed, quick blast of heat on tickover, then cold.........classic symptom I'm affraid mate  Sad

Put the blower on full & check the matrix inlet & outlet pipes...they should both be red hot. If the outlet pipe is cool or cold, then you have a blocked heater matrix  Sad
IP Logged
dogma

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 5:52am »

oh great, ill exaust every angle before taking that sod out ha ha, must admit when i changed the thermostat the it was basically just water, dirty and very smelly at that so could very well be blocked, iv got a week off now so guess what ill be doing lol, thanks for your help tho,  Grin
IP Logged

Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 6:08am »

Nice to see that someone else gets up early!!  Cheesy

You might get away with backflushing your cooling system, or by using a proprietary coolant system flushing compound from your accessory shop. Glad it's running a bit better anyway. When you replaced the TPS you should have disconnected and re-connected your battery again so that your ECU can re-set. Keep plugging away....... Grin
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 9:12pm »

It should warm up very quickly indeed. Mine is the fastest car I have ever had (of the many) to rise up to a stable engine temperature and the fastest to start producing interior heat. The gauge just rockets up to the mid point, then settles there.vYou can check the correct thermostat operation by simply feeling the top hose as the engine warms up from cold - it should stay cold, then suddenly heat up.  

Your cooling system sounds as if it has suffered serious neglect. I'd take off a few hoses and give engine, radiator and especially the heater matrix and good flush out from both directions - hopefully it might just clear out the gunge.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
wickedteen

Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 9:17pm »

mine was warming up quite nicely but only luke warm heater then going cold, turned out to be waterpump, is your pump getting noisy
IP Logged
dogma

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 4th, 2007, 6:15am »

Hi guys, no water pump has only just been replaced, it heats up in allthe rite places, i,e the pipes so the only other thing it can be is the heater matrix is blocked, will give it a good flush out today and see what happens Grin
IP Logged

Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 4th, 2007, 8:00am »

Try Flushing BACKWARDS and with HOT water if possible .

I well remember one person using that method very sucessfully.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #17 on: Mar 4th, 2007, 8:32am »

You say your water pump has been replaced recently  Huh

I wonder if whoever fitted it has fully bled the cooling system.  Try the Jonnycab method, which is here somewhere, but I haven't got time to find it right now as I'm off to work in a minute.

You MAY well simply have a dirty great big air lock, and THAT will most certainly mess up your heating/cooling.

Worth a shot anyway.  Cheesy

IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Mar 4th, 2007, 9:11am »

The now famous JC method is HERE]
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
dogma

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Mar 5th, 2007, 1:04am »

Sounds like a good idea, if the wonderful britsh weather holds out ill try that tomorow, thanks for the advice  Grin
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.