Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 11:31am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« autobox fault after lifting car »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   autobox fault after lifting car
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: autobox fault after lifting car  (Read 438 times)
NickP2130

1998 2.3 (S) Ultima estate, Facelift.

View Profile

autobox fault after lifting car
« on: Feb 28th, 2007, 10:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Had a wierd one at the weekend. To change the brake discs I jacked the car front of the car up with the rear wheels chocked and the transmission in Park. When I had finished both sides I let the car down and, used a trolley jack and lifted one side at a time.
Car started fine but when I put it into drive or reverse it ran as rough as anything like it was missing and had no power at all. I tried to drive round the block and stopped and restarted the engine a few times nothing just pulled along f*rt*ing and got up to maybe 5 miles an hour.
Checked the ATF and level looked low, topped it up a bit restarted the car selected drive and the car ran like nothing had ever happened? Totally lost as to why this happened but in case someone else gets this problem , ATF loss might be solutionHuh?. A mytery where did all the oil go that it had run on until now??
IP Logged

Perplexed, Bamboozled, Confused but NOT Giving up.
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: autobox fault after lifting car
« Reply #1 on: Mar 1st, 2007, 12:52am »

I used to have this problem & it would only happen when the engine was cold & it had been raining. Had to start it 3 or 4 times before it ran right. Also the ATF level was fine.

Recently, I had to replace the inlet manifold & as I had been having a few problems with the idle air control valve, I replaced that as well. I also used new gaskets on everything.

I have not had the problem arise since & so have put it down to a dodgy IACV.  

I couldn't say for sure that you have the same problem, but giving the IACV a good clean internally with carb cleaner & then smearing a little grease on the shaft & replacing the double 'O' ring gasket may be a good idea  Smiley
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 1st, 2007, 8:43am »

may have crushed fuel pipes on n/s just inside jacking point.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Johnboy

Scorpio facelift '98

johnboyscorpio
View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 1st, 2007, 9:57am »

Where did you buy your fuel from?
IP Logged

NickP2130

1998 2.3 (S) Ultima estate, Facelift.

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 1st, 2007, 8:22pm »

IACV is? and where is it, what does it look like?

I will also check the pipes 'cause I can see the sill has been crushed at some point in the past by someone jacking in the wrong place, both sides. I lifted on a little mound just behind the jack pin hope that was the right place for a trolley jack.

Petrol came from Tesco's last time I filled up but it has run well for 200 miles and only gave me this fault for a few minutes. Then started running OK so it ain't the petrol.
IP Logged

Perplexed, Bamboozled, Confused but NOT Giving up.
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 1:38am »

IACV - idle air control valve......

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/iacvdata.htm  .......should be the top one on the 2.3.

I'm not saying that this the cause of your problem, but is definately worth considering  Wink

It's located on top of the inlet manifold & is held on by two 8mm bolts. If you take it off & look into the two port holes, you will see that the valve & spring will have alot of soot on them. Give it a good clean with some carb cleaner & then smear a little grease or 3 in 1 oil on the shaft. This should stop it from sticking & hopefully sort out the problem  Smiley

I must add that I replaced my IACV because the cleaning method didn't seem to work, so I assumed that the solenoid was at fault. But others have had success with this method  Smiley

It may have just been as simple as low ATF  Undecided..... but if it does it again, then I think this would be the step to try  Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.