Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 26th, 2024, 5:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« now my break lights are constanly on! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   now my break lights are constanly on!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: now my break lights are constanly on!  (Read 276 times)
philgood

2.9l 12v Auto (95 M) Ultima Saloon (Aubergine)

View Profile Email

now my break lights are constanly on!
« on: Mar 6th, 2007, 2:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is a follow up from a previous post (06-Nov-07. Ignition lights will not go out!) My ignition lights would illuminate several seconds after removing the ignition key! I could extinguish them by pressing the screen wash or rear electric windows! But they would come back on after a while.

An Auto Electrician checked it out and found that there was a live feed to several relays, which should be on the switched circuit; he suggested that the central fuse box was at fault and made a temporary repair by running a switched feed to the relevant fuse.

I replaced the central (Drivers side) fuse box with a second-hand unit but still had exactly the same fault! I thought it very unlikely that both boxes would have exactly the same fault so I’m sure that the fault lies elsewhere.

As I only use the car about twice a month I left it with the temporary repair but now I have another fault, possibly linked. All my break lights are constantly on, even with the ignition key removed!

I’ve checked out the pedal switch & partially stripped down the auxiliary (battery side) fuse box all seems ok. Yes it has got the battery cover fitted.

Any one got any ideas?

I’ve got the 9 month old battery on charge at the moment and will get round to having another look on Friday, weather permitting
IP Logged

Regards

Phil.
nice_1

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: now my break lights are constanly on!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 6:24pm »

I had a similar problem with my 12v scorpio. It was water getting into the passenger side fuse box. I would find if the car was left out in the rain the lights would come on! It gradually got worse...flat battery etc. Then one jump start to many melted the fusebox and almost set fire to the car. it wasn't until this happened and I removed the fuse box that I could see where the short was......bit late then though.
IP Logged
philgood

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 7:57pm »

Sound fair but my car is garaged and only ben out once this year! I will remove & check the passenger side fuse box again though.
IP Logged

Regards

Phil.
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 9:24am »

Check the ashtray /cigar lighter.  
This sometimes shorts out and causes these sort of problems but with it only being the brake lights I doubt it. worth checking though.
Also the wiring in the hinges of the boot lid can fray and short out.

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
philgood

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 9th, 2007, 2:33pm »

Ok. I’ve checked out both fuse boxes and can now confidently rule them out of the equation.
On poking around I found that when I pull the 60amp fuse in the battery side fuse box (III) which feeds the drivers side fuse box, this would extinguish the brake lights and they would work normally (by pressing the brake pedal).
It’s started to rain now so that is why I’ve popped in for a coffee and to post this. Any one got any other ideas of where to look?  
IP Logged

Regards

Phil.
Jim

1996  2.3    115k and rising

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 9th, 2007, 6:28pm »

Process of elimination, start pulling one fuse at a time from the drivers side fuse box. Mind you this box also carries the fuse for the break lights (fuse 14)  Huh
IP Logged

Jim
philgood

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 9th, 2007, 9:39pm »

End of day results: -
I still have the original fault of ignition light coming on after 5 seconds or so after removing ignition key? Auto electrician overcome this fault several months ago by linking out between fuse boxes (long story) but this did not repair the fault only over come it.
Latest electrical problem is my brake lights stay on even with ignition keys removed! On investigation I have eliminated both Aux & Central fuse boxes by replacement and striping down.
Traced back from brake lights, and on pulling around on looms/disconnecting modules under steering wheel & glove compartment now have lost interior lights & buzzer goes off while car in drive ‘b****r’. I checked fuse 36 found ok
I still have brake light fault. I must have touched something but not sure where to go now! So if anyone has any ideas please let me know?
I will be calling in an auto electrician shortly to rectify/overcome the fault but dread to think of the cost! as before the underlying faults may still be there!Huh!Huh
IP Logged

Regards

Phil.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.