Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 1:12pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« a/c compressor fuse »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   a/c compressor fuse
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: a/c compressor fuse  (Read 1297 times)
Chieftain

Mechanically Challenged with a 24V Cosworth

View Profile WWW

a/c compressor fuse
« on: Mar 27th, 2007, 10:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

whilst looking in the aux fuse box I noticed that the 30amp fuse for the compressor is missing, what problems could there have been to remove the fuse or did previous owner find that it was to cold.  The climate control system is working fine OR does cossie not have a fuse there anyway, over to the panel Grin  Doh just realised by looking at the faults pages that 24V has a seperate belt so of course it would run with seized compressor simply by removing belt, fingers crossed thta when I look there will be a belt fitted.
IP Logged

Bob

if it ain't broke fix it and it will be
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: a/c compressor fuse
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27th, 2007, 11:15pm »

Is your air-con compressor working fine without the fuse in ?

The reason I ask is because when I bought my 2.3 a year ago the same fuse was also missing. I assumed the reason was because the compressor had seized  Undecided
IP Logged
Chieftain

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 8:21am »

Will have to check that out, I note that if I turn a/c off then on there seems to be no noticable drop in revs which was very obvious in my Mk3.  Would I be correct that if the compressor had seized then it would be noticable, noise etc, as it is my sytem runs with no strange noises so not sure Shocked
IP Logged

Bob

Chieftain

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 12:35pm »

Well just looked and there is a fan belt to the a/c compressor and the compressor turns, so next stage is to fit a fuse and see
IP Logged

Bob

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 12:43pm »

hi there

yes, noise and maybe smoke! sounds like a metal rattle. my s/h one is a bit on the noisy side, but works fine. i've another one in my shed for when it dies.

hth
IP Logged
cleave

am i bovered!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 5:13pm »

my fuse is missing too.replaced it when i noticed and nothing any different seemed 2 b happening so i took it out again Undecided
IP Logged
Chieftain

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 10:26pm »

Well replaced the fuse, switched on and all seemed ok, tried a/c and it works a treat, so my only 2 options are, they removed fuse to stop compressor making it to cold Shocked or 30amp fuse blown nearest replacment a/c and never replaced it with new fuse.  Still at least not new compressor.
IP Logged

Bob

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29th, 2007, 8:12am »

hi bob

i'd get it in for a a/c service asap. you don't know how long it was off for. they have to run for at least 30 mins every month to keep the special pag flowing in the system. every year is loses about 25% of it's gas/oil.

see here.
IP Logged
Mummra

Mummra-the-ever -living

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 29th, 2007, 6:27pm »

Was it fuse no 35 that was missing? If so I believe that fuse is not for the air conditioning compressor, but for an air compressor which I think was used on earlier estates as part of the self levelling suspension. I fell into the same trap on mine, I believe that the a/c compressor is connected to fuse 33.
IP Logged
Chieftain

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 8:16am »

on Mar 29th, 2007, 6:27pm, Mummra wrote:
Was it fuse no 35 that was missing? If so I believe that fuse is not for the air conditioning compressor, but for an air compressor which I think was used on earlier estates as part of the self levelling suspension. I fell into the same trap on mine, I believe that the a/c compressor is connected to fuse 33.

Very intresting, anyone confirm this?
IP Logged

Bob

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 9:27am »

The listed fuses are: 30...Self-levelling suspension
          33. ..Ignition timing
      35....Air conditioning compressor. if that helps.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Chieftain

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 11:20am »

seems to clear it up although the handbook only says air compressor, but the self levelling is mentioned twice with its own fuses, so it seems that 35 is for a/c Grin
IP Logged

Bob

ferretmobile

2.3 saloon S reg & all the toys. mmmm toys

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 12:21pm »

Scorpio man, can you change the compressor without loosing the coolant?
I had my gas & oil topped up last summer and the system works intermitantly...kinda comes on every nown and again in hot weather. I am suspecting the compressor is on the blink and I would like to get everything tikkerteboo before the hot weather decends and sitting in a hot cab aint much fun.  
If it can be changed, is this easy for a complete spanner muppet like myself? ROFL
Ferret
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 12:44pm »

on Mar 30th, 2007, 12:21pm, ferretmobile wrote:
Scorpio man, can you change the compressor without loosing the coolant?
I had my gas & oil topped up last summer and the system works intermitantly...kinda comes on every nown and again in hot weather. I am suspecting the compressor is on the blink and I would like to get everything tikkerteboo before the hot weather decends and sitting in a hot cab aint much fun.  
If it can be changed, is this easy for a complete spanner muppet like myself? ROFL
Ferret

i'll start at the easy bit first. no, you'll lose all the gas/oil if you change the compressor. this needs to be taken out by a a/c guy. Wink changing the compressor is more of a pain than hard, if you know what i mean. it's quite heavy to hold above your head when bolting it back on. i tied mine up with some rope.

re only working every now and then. what do mean? the compressor only kicks on and off? if so, this is correct. it runs until the de ice switch hit +4 degrees, then goes off until the temp rises. it then repeats the cycle.
or do you mean the heat fans (hbc) only work occasionally?

let me know what you mean.
IP Logged
ferretmobile

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 1:38pm »

Hi Andrew, I always have the A.C. on default to heat the car which is no problem. When the mobile gas man came to call (appol flanders and swan), He put a thermal probe into the mid vents with all other vents shut off and the temperature set at lo-lo. The low temp would fluctuate between real chilly or at least 10 below the outside ambiant temperature and then the reading would climb up to the outside temperature. He removed all of the gas and oil and regassed the system again with the same result. He asked me to sit in the cab and keep the throttle open to about 2000 revs. But he still could not get the temperature at a constant chill.
When driving the chill factor sometimes comes on and stays on. But the following day I get no joy at all. So thats why I tend to think that the compressor is at fault.
I would appreciate your thoughts on this annoying fault.
Oh, I have also done numerous resets on the controll panel ...to no effect
Regards Ferret
IP Logged
Mummra

Mummra-the-ever -living

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 1:49pm »

When I had my a/c re-gassed last year we found that the compressor was not working and noticed that fuse 35 was missing, so I put one in. It still didn't work, so checked my handbook again and found that fuse 33 20A is for Power Steering, self levelling suspension, heating/ventilation, air conditioning.

Upon checking this fuse I found that it had blown, so I removed fuse 35 again and replaced 33 and the compressor fired up perfectly after that.

So not sure about fuse 35, except that I have 2 Estates, neither of which have that fuse fitted but with working a/c.
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 2:34pm »

hi there

when the a/c is running, does the s/steel pipes go freezing cold? are you sure the compressor is running. watch the '3 lumps' on the compressor clutch. i would think the compressor is either working, siezed (you'd heard/smell/see it) or working/leaking. even if it was leaking, the pipe would become cold (unless no gas, compressor won't run) as it's just a pump.  
next thing to check is the de-ice switch. see this.
what speed are your engine fans at (a/c on)? high or slow?  
have you checked the multi-plug on the compressor? might be dirty.

sorry this post is a bit messy. just thinking and typing. can't figure out why it works sometimes. it should work or not at all. Undecided

let me know if the compressor is running.
IP Logged
ferretmobile

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 2:53pm »

Hello Andrew, yes its the clutch with the three lumps that dosent actuate all of the time. Dont know why. Sometimes it picks up and then I have very cold in the cab. Yuo say that there is a multiplug that may need cleaning...Where can this be located and do you think that this may be the culprit.
Oh and I am sorry to be such a pain Wink
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 3:44pm »

Hi Ferret the compressor is supposed to cycle it is NOT engaged ALL the time just depends on how much cooling it has to do. I liken it to a fridge motor , which switched on and off as the tepmperature rises and falls.

I hope that answers your query.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
ferretmobile

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 3:52pm »

Hi Snoopy, yes I understand that much, but often my clutch wont go at all and all I get in the cab is warm ambiant temp air.
I cant tell you how many hours I have spent watching the three little protusions and waiting for them to fly round ......and they dont. This is the main problem.
HTH Ferret
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.