Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 3:30pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Cosworth...just started a timing rattle »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Cosworth...just started a timing rattle
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cosworth...just started a timing rattle  (Read 468 times)
bonnietiler

Sense of humour .... Essential!

View Profile

Cosworth...just started a timing rattle
« on: Mar 30th, 2007, 3:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This past month, i've noticed a slight rattle ..sounds like timing chain on start-up doesn't last above a second than nothing till the following morning when cold..Is a trip to the dealers on the cards and thorough rinsing of my wallet!
Many thanks in advance.
Brian
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Cosworth...just started a timing rattle
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 3:40pm »

They can carry on like that for a long time. I think the time to start worrying is when is become really loud and lasts for several seconds, but I am sure the 24v guys will advise better than ME!.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
v4-max aka Cheekyboy1

focus cc  mk3 mondeo 2.0 auto cbx750 vt600

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 4:38pm »

had a rattle on mine changed oil to magnatex 5w30 can leave the car without starting it for a week without the dreaded rattle. takes about a week to work its magic but it works.
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 8:20pm »

hi there

a tried and tested way to help is to floor the throttle before starting, keeping the throttle on the floor. this fools the car into thinking it's flooding the engine, so won't fire up. you keep it turning over for about 5 secs which will get the oil pressure up, thus stopping/reducing the rattle.

warning! make sure the WOT relay is working. you don't want the engine starting at 6000 rpm! warning! make sure the WOT relay is working. you don't want the engine starting at 6000 rpm! warning! make sure the WOT relay is working. you don't want the engine starting at 6000 rpm! warning! make sure the WOT relay is working. you don't want the engine starting at 6000 rpm! warning! make sure the WOT relay is working. you don't want the engine starting at 6000 rpm! warning! make sure the WOT relay is working. you don't want the engine starting at 6000 rpm! warning! make sure the WOT relay is working. you don't want the engine starting at 6000 rpm! warning! make sure the WOT relay is working. you don't want the engine starting at 6000 rpm! warning! make sure the WOT relay is working. you don't want the engine starting at 6000 rpm! warning! make sure the WOT relay is working. you don't want the engine starting at 6000 rpm! warning! make sure the WOT relay is working. you don't want the engine starting at 6000 rpm! warning! make sure the WOT relay is working. you don't want the engine starting at 6000 rpm! warning! make sure the WOT relay is working. you don't want the engine starting at 6000 rpm! warning! make sure the WOT relay is working. you don't want the engine starting at 6000 rpm!

then start as normal.
IP Logged
v4-max aka Cheekyboy1

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 8:36pm »

Agree but wont cure the problem where as the oil change will cure the problem.
IP Logged
Pegasus

24V Cosworth  Ultima Born: Sept 97, sold Aug 23

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 9:18pm »

a rattle of a second is nothing to worry about, esp when cold. If it continues then you can reach for the Valium
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31st, 2007, 9:53am »

Hmm well a rattle for any period of time is a problem because the rattle noise itself is telling you damage is happening.

Yeah a oil change is best & another after that if still no joy.

The rattle is caused by low oil pressure in the tensioner.

Which could be caused by either tired oil or a leaky one way valve.
IP Logged

Dave
bonnietiler

Sense of humour .... Essential!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 31st, 2007, 10:40am »

Thanks for the info, I'm a great believer in Synthetic oil, has anybody a preference in this?
IP Logged
v4-max aka Cheekyboy1

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 31st, 2007, 11:32am »

most people with the 24v seem to have switched to the magnatex, my rattle was quite bad, now it does'nt rattle at all. like howie, said the prob is low oil pressure in the tensioner, the magnatex seems to stay put and keeps the pressure up. never tried fully synthetic and see know reason to give up what i'm using now. keep us posted though if you do try it. john
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 31st, 2007, 3:49pm »

I, like most of us who have experienced the rattle, have tried the WOT starting procedure (didn't work for me and will not be trying it again!) and also the Magnatec oil. I have to say though, I didn't get too much joy from Magnatec either.  
What was best for it was several oil changes. New Ford filter every time too. Obvoiusly I didn't chuck the Magnatec through it each time, but a (slightly) cheaper oil instead. Halfords own. And I'm still on it now. Seems ok to me.
The rattle hasn't completely gone mind you. It still puts in an appearance here & there.
But I do have a tip... If it does start rattling, switch it off. Then restart. You should find it quiet.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.