Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 1:13pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Smell through air vents »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Smell through air vents
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Smell through air vents  (Read 417 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Smell through air vents
« on: Mar 31st, 2007, 1:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Since I serviced the Scorp last weekend (oil, filter, air filter, pollen filter...even a new sponge filter for the oil breather), I've noticed a smell coming through the air vents when the engine is hot & only at tickover. If you switch the engine off but leave blower on then smell fades away very quickly  Huh

It smells like hot ATF/gear oil.

I got under it a couple of days ago & unbolted the under tray & there was no evidence of any oil on that, & inspected the underneath of the engine for any oil (sump, rack, cooler pipes), but it was all oil free apart from a bit of old residue (which I wiped off) around the starter motor area where I had removed the old oil filter. I even checked the new oil filter for slight leakage...but it was dry around the seal.

My last thought was the two O rings at the top of the autobox dipstick...It didn't feel that tight so I replaced them with ones that were slightly fatter & that is now sitting in nice & tight....but the smell is still coming in  Huh

I even left some newspaper under the car overnight, but there were no oil drips on it the next morning.

The autobox fluid level is fine, as is the engine oil & power steering fluid.

Oh...& before anyone thinks of suggesting that the heater matrix may be leaking.....it defo ain't that  Smiley

I'm stumped  Huh

The only other thing I can think of, is that maybe it's always made this smell, but as the old pollen filters were pretty black, then maybe I never noticed it  Undecided

I'm gonna have another look tomorrow (if it doesn't rain) so any other theories would be great  Smiley
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Smell through air vents
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31st, 2007, 8:10am »

Have you cleaned the engine or spilt some oil down the side at any time? but as you so riightly suggst it is MOST LIKELY that the new pollen filters are letting more air in if there are NO leaks or oil any where and the smell may always have been there, but mine sometimes smells of HOT oil and I am unable to trace that so you are not alone with this one.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

Re: Smell through air vents
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31st, 2007, 9:42am »

I had this problem,  Sad the smell resembles that of oil however I think it is more due to bacterial buildup in the evaporator housing.  Embarassed  I bought some Whynns Air con cleaner and followed the instructions on the tin with a little extra for good measure, ie I sprayed the whole of the inside of the evap housing as well, Twice, I then fitted new p filters and Hey Presto! the problem was gone.... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

H T H

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.