Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 2:21pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Scorpio Ultima Estate - Minor Issues »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Scorpio Ultima Estate - Minor Issues
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Scorpio Ultima Estate - Minor Issues  (Read 1093 times)
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

Scorpio Ultima Estate - Minor Issues
« on: Apr 15th, 2007, 11:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

OK, well I guess you can't expect to buy a 10 year old car that is totally fault free. Just taken my newly acquired baby out for a 30 mile drive and 3 minor things have shown up which I'm hoping someone can give me a few pointers towards sorting them.
1 ) The folding part of the rear seat on the drivers side won't - the release button seems to be stuck down and does not release the catch.
2) The CD changer in the back seems a bit sensitive to going over bumps - music cuts out briefly and jumps a bit sometimes. Better than my old Granada Scorpio though which used to switch the whole radio cassette unit and CD unit off when going over bumps and it wouldn't switch back on until you switched off the ignition and restarted the engine ! I understand an improved mounting kit may be available for this - can anyone advise ?
3 ) Seem to have a bit of a squeak coming from one of  the rear wheels - sounds a bit like a bird chirping and is definately linked to road speed - i.e. quicker when going faster. Can't really hear it unless the sunroof or a window is open.  
Hope someone out there in Scorpio land can help.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Scorpio Ultima Estate - Minor Issues
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15th, 2007, 3:27pm »

Mike, check behind the rear seat. There is a red 'locking' catch.....is this causing your problem?. There is a known issue with the wiring to the CD changer. On some cars a joint was not soldered correctly. You will need to unwrap the loom to find the joint but I suggest you simply try wriggling the loom first to see if it is a 'wiring' issue rather than a 'mounting' problem. The rear wheel sound could be anything from a stone in the pad to a wheel bearing. The latter is a common occurence and needs checking PDQ as continued running will cause wear on the hub necessitating that being replaced and failure can be devasting!!. Is there any obvious movement when the car is raised?.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16th, 2007, 8:39am »

Hi Mike. Re the CD changer, it could also be that the pickup (laser)  needs cleaning...you'd need to get the changer apart but it's not hard to clean Wink

Mike (Simmo), what's all this PDQ...could you tell me ASAP? Grin

TTFN Wink

Regards, Bruce Roll Eyes.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16th, 2007, 11:39am »

ROFL

ITYAGD
Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16th, 2007, 1:51pm »

Bruce...... are you looking to join the 'Kent cheeky kids' club 'cos you're going the right way!!. Grin Cheesy
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Scorpio_Mike

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16th, 2007, 1:56pm »

on Apr 16th, 2007, 11:39am, petehull wrote:
ROFL

ITYAGD
Pete

ITYAGD ?
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 16th, 2007, 2:35pm »

I Think Your All Going Doolally... Grin

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Scorpio_Mike

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Apr 16th, 2007, 7:05pm »

Sorted the non-folding rear seat now - just the red catch ! Teach me to RTFM won't it.
Stuck a cleaning disc in the CD changer - didn't seem to like it at first but tried a few times and it played it OK - will see if that improves things.
Can't detect any play in the rear wheel bearings but have booked the car in for a service and my local friendly garage - I've known the chaps for years, one of them used to work at a FMD and sold me the Turbo kit for my XR3 back in '84.

Managed to wiggle the rear view mirror of the mounting bracket as it needs replacing - someone had tried fixing it on with epoxy ! Thankfully only a small amount but now it wobbles a bit - will sort that out when I get a replacement.

Now have a small issue with one of the hubcaps - the locking screw won't undo - tried WD40 on it but no luck so far, don't want to apply too much pressure with the key in case it breaks.  
Going to try making somthing up using an old socket, some cut down masonary nails and epoxy putty - hopefully will be able to use a socket wrench on it.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 17th, 2007, 7:39am »

One method of loosening tight  screws and bolts is to engage the spanner or key and gently tap inwards with a hammer the shock usually loosens them. but dont use a lump hammer as the key is only plastic type material.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Scorpio_Mike

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: May 18th, 2007, 6:03pm »

Managed to get the hubcap off - sprayed WD-40 around the locking screw a few times and it came undone - quite tight though !

Finally got around to doing the rear wheel bearing today, the squeaking was no longer bearable. Hub nut was not as tight as I expected it to be and the bearing was in a pretty bad way although no play detectable when rocking the wheel - strangely the outer bearing tracks had hardly a mark on them, inner tracks cracked and the roller cages broken. Had to invest in the mother-of-all Torque Wrenches to finish the job - sure it will come in handy again sometime... Got the bearing kits from The Quality Factor as mentioned on this site - arrived less than 24hrs after ordering, very reasonable delivery charge too.
As per the rear wheel bearing repair guide on this site, the nuts, although they have the correct thread are different to the Ford originals - and HUGE - even my extensive tool kit couldn't come up with anything to fit it. Had to go to the FMD and get the correct nuts - £13.58 for 2 of them - fortunately in stock. The Ford wheel bearing kit does come with the correct nuts but is about £70 + VAT according to the parts guy.    

Also changed the rear discs & pads while I was at it www.buypartsby.co.uk front discs under £7 +VAT, rear discs ( Vented ) for under £11 +VAT - I got charged more than that the last time I had a set of discs reground ! Mintex pads cheap here too. A site well worth checking out.

Doing the front discs & pads on Monday provided it's not raining.

Seems to be a lot of people on here who have had rear wheel bearing problems although it is pretty much the same as the earlier Granadas & Granada Scorpio models which I've had a few of and this is the first one I've ever had to change.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.