Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 7:23am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Auto-box problem. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Auto-box problem.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Auto-box problem.  (Read 1363 times)
macroy

White 24v Ultima Cosworth Estate

View Profile Email

Auto-box problem.
« on: Apr 25th, 2007, 7:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I don,t know how serious this is going to be.I was just driving up the road when I began to lose drive,revving and slipping all over the place.I managed to get home but there was smoke coming from under the bonnet and plenty of it.I have let the car cool down and lifted the bonnet to find it sprayed with oil all over,looks like auto fluid to me,this must have been sprayed over the exhaust hence the smoke.Does anyone have any ideas as where to start on this.Thanks,Roy.
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Auto-box problem.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25th, 2007, 7:54pm »

Roy, I know from experience that the loss of drive is from the loss of fluid, not normally the other way around...so you might be lucky and just have a split hose somewhere, let it cool down and get a proper look at it.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 25th, 2007, 7:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Roy;

Check the autobox pipes which are behind the radiator.  

[u]Quote from the link below  "If they let go, your autofluid will spray all over the place and you will experience an alarming loss of drive"

SEE  

HERE

Let's know how you get on.  What a pain.  Wink
IP Logged
macroy

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 26th, 2007, 2:35pm »

Hi Bruce and SD.Well I am at a total loss here.I took the engine tray off and checked the hoses and have run the engine to operating temperature but cannot find a leak anywhere.The fluid level still looks ok so I drove around the block a few times,it is slipping like mad,I checked the pipes again and still no leaks but then I noticed the exhaust smoking as if oil is being dropped onto it from the middle to back end area of the gearbox.Is there any pipes in this area that you know of?Thanks,Roy.
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 26th, 2007, 2:52pm »

Roy.  Have a look at the gearbox pages:

Don't know what box you've got fitted but they should help.

HERE

Sounds as though either the gearbox sump gasket has gone, or a seal has failed. Best thing I can suggest would be NOT to drive it due to the risk of causing serious and/or expensive damage, but to thoroughly clean off the underside etc of the gearbox, and then run it and see if you can spot an obvious leak.  

I know that's pretty obvious, but you might be able to pinpoint exactly where it's coming out, and from there find the likely area to look at on the drawings.  

Better to do it without driving it, because the flow of air under the car will not help you to pinpoint it. I'm not sure if there's an oil seal at the rear of the transmission shaft  extension on the box.  

Might be something that's easily fixed so let's hope for the best.  Wink
IP Logged
macroy

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 26th, 2007, 3:25pm »

Hi SD,according to what I have read on the site it is a A4LDE box.I am going to have to buy some ramps tomorrow so that I can get under it properly,I ran it up the kerb but I cannot get under far enough for inspection.Thanks,Roy.
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 26th, 2007, 3:28pm »

Hi Roy. Must have been updating when you posted. Have a look at the pages, especially the 'overhaul' info which provides good blow up piccies.

Yes you'll need ramps, and probably some axle stands too if you are going to work under it. Don't think there's much useful I can add until you've inspected it now.  Wink
IP Logged
macroy

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 26th, 2007, 3:34pm »

Thanks for all your help so far,I will let you know what I find when I can get under it tomorrow.Thanks again,Roy.
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 26th, 2007, 3:39pm »

Check that your filler pipe (not the transmission dipstick, the pipe that it goes into), hasn't come out too. If it has, then the fluid will pump out everywhere, and would fit in with where you think the leak is from, and why it's getting on the exhaust.

It's more unlikely, but also not impossible that either the fluid return pipe or feed pipe have come loose/fractured. That wouldn't be too bad.......still a pain, but easily fixed! At least you 'd be able to top up, and all will return to normal.

See Page: 00-01-10 under the 12v Cologne entry in the gearbox pages for the 2 pipes location.

As said. let's hope for a happy ending for you.  Wink
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 26th, 2007, 3:43pm »

Roy, you've got an A4LDE like I had on the 2.3 - the place where the hoses normally go are at the oil coolder at the front of the car, near the main radiator. The most I ever did to my autobox was check some of the wiring and ATF level, Ford dealer did the rest...but they did mention the cooler pipes were perforating and replaced them. Just before I had my 'box done I got loss of gear followed by clouds of steam/smoke one day after coming of the motorway, pulled over and the car was engulfed by smoke...so much smoke that I thought it was on fire - but I never found the cause of that smoke, didn't seem to lose any fluid and I drove it home gently with no problems once it had cooled down. But leaking onto the manifold? I'm not sure where the pipes run Undecided

Hope it's just a pipe gone, causes far worse symptoms than damage Smiley.

Sorry I can't help more.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 26th, 2007, 3:55pm »

Pipes run by the drivers side of the torque Converter if the diagrams are correct.  Wink
IP Logged
macroy

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 26th, 2007, 4:28pm »

Bruce,that is just what happenned to me,just come off the motorway exit near to where I live,started to lose drive and loads of smoke,I thought it was on fire at first,must have been oil going onto exhaust.Anyway I will be underneath it tomorrow investigating and will let you and SD know my findings.Roy.
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 26th, 2007, 4:51pm »

Hi Macroy....  And me too... Cheesy
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
macroy

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Apr 27th, 2007, 3:16pm »

Well I have been under the car and cannot find a leak in any of the pipes HuhI really am stumped now.I did find a very slight weeping at the front end of the sump cover but nothing really much.I have test driven it again and the slipping etc is still there.The question still remains also,where did the oil come from that caused all the smoke initially?and would it be worthwhile changing the oil and filter and see what happens.Also I have noticed recently after doing a coolant flush that there seems to be no or very little activity in the expansion tank and the engine seems to be giving off a lot of heat although the temp guage is reading normal.I felt the bottom hose on the rad today and it is not getting hot.What do you think on this one,water pump or thermostat perhaps?Thanks,Roy.
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #14 on: Apr 27th, 2007, 3:43pm »

Like you say. Very strange this.  

I'm trying (without success) to make the connection between a slipping auto-box and smoke.  

Obviously 'something' is causing smoke when it gets on to the exhaust, but is it transmission fluid, (ATF) or is it oil? If it's oil, then it's not coming from the gearbox, so why is the gearbox slipping? Likewise, if it's ATF, then for sure it's escaping from somewhere within the gearbox, so that rules out engine oil.

Don't forget that the internals of an auto-box work mostly on fluids being pumped at very high pressures between various solenoids and chambers. A leak will come out at high pressure, but that pressure may not build up until everything is at full working temperature.

For that reason it might be difficult to pinpoint. Sump seepage?  I doubt it. it would come out more quickly unless the level is too low (which you say it isn't).  

From where I'm sitting, you need to find (by whatever means), where the ATF/oil is escaping from, and exactly WHAT it is.

Oil OR ATF.  

Only then are you going to be able to go further.  Wink

On the water front, I'd say leave well alone if the cooling system is working OK. You've got enough problems. Water pumps nearly always either leak from the spindle gland or get very noisy when the shaft gland bearing goes, so I dodn't think the pump will be an issue here. You could try a new thermostat, but whether it will make any difference is debatable.  

Keep the level of ATF correct whatever you do. The last thing you want to do is seize the box. Wink

IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Apr 27th, 2007, 3:43pm »

hi there

are you getting any flashing of the o/d light? have you checked/cleaned the MAF?

how did you do the flush? using the screw out tap or with the bottom hose off?
IP Logged
macroy

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Apr 27th, 2007, 3:58pm »

Hi,I have cleaned the MAF, not getting any flashing o/d light just slipping all over the place and overreving on gear change.When I flushed the cooling  system I used the the tap at the bottom of rad,I thought the bottom hose should get hot but this is not doing.Roy.
IP Logged
macroy

View Profile Email

Re: Auto-box problem.Update.
« Reply #17 on: May 4th, 2007, 1:48pm »

Well I still cannot find a leak so I am now beginning to wonder if the gearbox has had it,if this is the case then I am afraid I will have to scrap it as the expense will be too great for me.Roy Sad
IP Logged
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: May 4th, 2007, 4:08pm »

Sounds to me like a dead box.  A good rebuild will cost approx £800.
Good luck whatever you decide to do  

Regards Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: May 4th, 2007, 10:16pm »

I have a good autobox from a 95 2ltr if that's any help?

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.