Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 12:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Bonnet release not working »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Bonnet release not working
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Bonnet release not working  (Read 907 times)
ottopmh

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Bonnet release not working
« on: May 9th, 2007, 7:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Didn't see this coming...

Someone may remember my previous problem - coolant leak coming from the plate in cylinder head. Well, I've not fixed it as the coolant has to be topped up once or twice in a month. Now it would be that time of the month, but.... yep. Not nice.

Tried to open it yesterday and nothing happened. Pulling the release felt normal except the fact that nothing happened.

I dismantled the handle and then pulled the cable. Feels like it would try take hold of something but just can't do it. In the very end of cable's room for manoeuvre I can feel slight threshold or something (hard to describe it in EnglishSmiley) and also a slight click can be heard from the bonnet end of the cable. But nothing happens. I've also tried to twirl and pull, but the result is always exactly the same.

I'm afraid that the cable's end nipple is broken in the bonnet end.

I found one good hint from one similar thread. Someone adviced to remove the cooling fans to gain some room. That was on 24v. Mine is 2,3 - any idea if this method could be used for 2,3 as well?

Any other advices? All help will be highly appreciated!

Or shall I just use an angle grinder and buy a new bonnet.... That would be the LAST resortSmiley
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

Re: Bonnet release not working
« Reply #1 on: May 9th, 2007, 8:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Two ways: Firstly, make sure you can SEE what you're doing. A good worklight is useful for this job. If you know what the catch looks like, that's a big help. maybe a quick visit to your local scrapyard to look at one. In fact if it's cheap, buy it, as a spare in case the other one's broken.

Either try to get hold of the catch mechanism through the gap between the grille and the bonnet with some long handled pliers/pipe wrench etc, or...

Put the front of the car up on axle stands, chock the back wheels, and get at the catch from underneath the front of the car.  

In the second case, if you can get somone to press down on the front of the bonnet, to ease the load on the catch, it would be helpful.

It's fiddly, but they are probably your only options now.  Wink

Obviously, on re-assembly, lots of grease round the catch, and some oil down the cable.

This is a common 'garage job'. People ignore sticking bonnet releases, and they get stiffer and stiffer to open until the inevitable day of reckoning arrives. Not worth the hassle for a few drops of oil.  Smiley

IP Logged
ottopmh

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 9th, 2007, 9:19am »

Light is not a problem if I can get it to the garage before the coolant level drops too much. Towing is of course possible if needed.  I also have a bridge crane available - in the garage.

Scorpios are pretty rare in Finland and I think that I will not start to go through the scrap yards. Good idea anyway!

Based on the images in Ford's manuals in this site I think that the bonnet release cable is connected to the rear side of the catch. I mean pointing to the engine, not to front. Therefore I'm afraid that it can not be accessed through the grille.

I will try it from underneath. I hope that the intake pipe is not preventing access to the catch.

Funny thing is that the release has not been sticky. It has worked smoothly and did not warn about this at all.
IP Logged
TRACEYS_LIMO

I'm a YaBB newbie

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 9th, 2007, 1:00pm »

hi will post one for cost of postage if you want Grin pm me
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 9th, 2007, 7:57pm »

Some stiff wire or a bent metal coathanger may be enough to release the catch - pull it forwards to release.  You should be able to get these through the grille, though it will be difficult as the catch is higher than the grille.

Darren
IP Logged
ottopmh

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 10th, 2007, 6:34am »

Thanks for the hints!

What can I say? It was EASY! I suppose that this is not a common problem and that's why no one said it to be easySmiley.

Removed the underpan, reached with my hand to the supposed location of the release (between radiator and engine) and found the cable at the first attempt. Perhaps there was a bit of luck too... Then I followed the cable to it's end and tried to push it to right direction. Didn't work yet - then I reached with another hand to the inner side of grille, pulled bonnet downwards and tried again releasing - and it opened.

So, only thing to be removed is the underpan. At least my hand fitted - barely though - between radiator and intake pipe. And reached the release with my fingertip. In an emergency situation that could be done anywhere. I think that the release can be reached even when lying on ground.

And quess what? The cable and release system are in perfect condition!!! I assume that the bonnet was not completely closed even though it felt like it. That must have somehow made the release so tight that I just didn't dare to pull the cable hard enough. It has done once so that I thought the bonnet was closed, but after about 150 kilometers it popped up. Luckily there is the safety catch!
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #6 on: May 10th, 2007, 8:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Good news!!  I did actually SAY to try between the grille and the bonnet, because of the location. Not through the grille.

Glad you've got it fixed anyway.  Cheesy
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: May 10th, 2007, 9:01am »

Renault Clio owners don't have this problem.... Tongue

c/o Whatchdog Undecided

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.