Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 12:37am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Cosworth cooling system »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Cosworth cooling system
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cosworth cooling system  (Read 719 times)
Neil W

View Profile

Cosworth cooling system
« on: May 13th, 2007, 3:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I currently have a minor water leak whose source cannot be traced, and a full examination of the system will be carried out soon (including a pressure test). I already have a new radiator and thermostat in case they are needed.  

However, if I am held up in traffic for more than 30 minutes (which happens sometimes  Grin) the coolant temperature goes up, although it can be kept below the red section of the gauge by having the heater blower full on. This may or may not be a related problem  Angry. The fans work correctly and the relay was recently replaced.

What I would like to know is:  

1) is the temp sensor and temp sender in the water housing in the centre of the "V"? and

2) is the sensor or the sender most likely to instruct the PCM to increase cooling fans speed?

For added info: radiator cap replaced; radiator is not ballooning; no hot water smell; no leak from the heater matrix; no leaks from any visible coolant pipework; and autobox oil is perfect.

Thanks.

Neil W.
IP Logged

1998 Scorpio Ultima Cosworth facelift saloon, reg S896VOG. Sold Feb 2010. Now own Mercedes-Benz E320 CDi.
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

Re: Cosworth cooling system
« Reply #1 on: May 14th, 2007, 8:59am »

First thing I would do is change the thermostat seeing as you already have it, your's could be not opening fully.... Huh

pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 14th, 2007, 9:40am »

Have a look for any white residue around the cooling system. Could be that the water is evaporating before you see it drip & leaving the white mark  Smiley

Regarding the cooling fans, they only run at two speeds, low & high. They are controlled by the PCM via information gathered from the ECT sensor  Smiley
IP Logged
Neil W

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 14th, 2007, 3:42pm »

Thanks guys for the advice, which I will follow.  

Apparently both the water temp sender (to instrument panel) and sensor (part of ECT/PCM) are visible from the front centre of the Cosworth V6, and can be replaced without any dismantling other than removing the Cosworth engine cover.

Time will tell if the water loss is from some other obscure bit of pipework, but to be safe I have ordered the bypass pipe that goes through the front of the left hand cylinder head bank. I have already had to replace it once before after it burst at about 60,000 miles (now 119,000 miles) on the clock.

Neil W.
IP Logged

1998 Scorpio Ultima Cosworth facelift saloon, reg S896VOG. Sold Feb 2010. Now own Mercedes-Benz E320 CDi.
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: May 14th, 2007, 4:03pm »

There you go then, best to be safe, hope it's sorted... Cheesy
Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.