Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 4:30pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Powersteering pump/rack »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Powersteering pump/rack
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Powersteering pump/rack  (Read 761 times)
victim

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Powersteering pump/rack
« on: May 14th, 2007, 8:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Which of the two ports does the pressure pipe from the pump plug into on the rack, the lower or higher one?

I'm actually using it with a sierra rack and at the moment have it connected to the higher one but this required me to cut a notch in the securing plate to clear one of the other pipe fittings.  My pump's making an awful whining noise (though kinda sounds like a supercharger which is cool Cheesy) and the fluid is churning away in the reservoir like it was a blender!
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

Re: Powersteering pump/rack
« Reply #1 on: May 14th, 2007, 8:51am »

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/steermanual.htm

Try this, I think it's the back one, the two connectors will only fit one way on the scorp but don't know how for sierra... someone else might

hth
Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
victim

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 14th, 2007, 9:54am »

Thanks that's interesting.

so on the scorpio rack the pipes go into the passenger side end of the rack?  Would explain why the pipe seemed way too long..
IP Logged
victim

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 14th, 2007, 9:56am »

Actually, it seems that the noise could just be that I've got a load of air into the system and it needs bleeding properly.  I'll give that a try first following the instructions in that manual Smiley
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 14th, 2007, 10:03am »

Turning the steering to full lock both ways a few times should get the air out  Wink
IP Logged
olltwit

Englishman Abroad Now Without 2ltr Scorpio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: May 15th, 2007, 9:03am »

I've got the same whining from my power steering on my 2ltr 1996 Scorpio plus the fluid is leeking from the servo on the driver's side. I've been told here in Bucharest that the whole assembly needs replacing because a piece is bent from taking one of the lovely holes in the road here.

I assume they mean the shiny long bar (I don't know what it's called) that goes in and out of the servo? Does that sound right and if so, roughly how much would a second hand one cost and could I fit it myself or does it require special tools?
IP Logged
olltwit

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: May 16th, 2007, 1:02am »

Here lies the spot where Simon Hensby aka Grey Olltwit made some sarcastic remarks about the forum. No one has asked me to remove them but in hindsight they were made hastily and foolishly.

I have therefore removed them and I apologise if I offended anyone.
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: May 16th, 2007, 1:29am »

Far from being the admin on here but it would probably help if you made a new thread and tried to be a bit more specific about your problem. I doubt the lack of advice you give to others would have anything to do with the help you receive either - most of my contribution nowadays is off topic and I've never had a problem receiving advice if I've asked for it. You should try some of the other car forums and see how long it takes to get a reply on there and then tell us how bad this one is Wink.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: May 16th, 2007, 1:59am »

olltwit....the whining is probably the power steering pump. So you may need a new one of those.

Not sure what you mean by servo (brake servo ?  Huh), but if you are talking about power steering fluid leaking from the rubber gaiter on the drivers side, then the seal in the steering rack where the track rod (shiney long bar) is attached is leaking........ So in that case, you need a new steering rack as well  Smiley

Yes...you can replace it yourself...no special tools required....all you need is axle stands, a socket set, a torque wrench, a ball joint remover for the track rod ends (I use the two pronged version & a hammer), 10mm open ended spanner, a litre of Dexron II or III power steering/autobox fluid & something to drain the old steering fluid into, & the instructions from this site, which can be found here...

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/steering/PASRack.pdf

Also some rags to wipe your hands with  Wink

Have a read of this  Wink
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=disp lay;num=1176799384

P.S....don't remember the George Michael post  Huh
IP Logged
olltwit

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: May 16th, 2007, 6:01am »

I've tried new threads before TiberiuS and received little joy so I thought as mine was a similar problem to this topic it would be better here as replies move it to the top of the board. I thought I had been pretty specific.

Thanks Jonnycab for the reply, this is what I needed, some sound advice and helpful pointers in the right direction.
IP Logged
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: May 16th, 2007, 6:54pm »

Hi There,

I've bought parts off Highlander before and had no problems, maybe he is busy at the mo.  Wink  

Most of us on here have other interests, families, work commitments etc, so it's unfair to expect immediate attention LOL .

I'm motor trade and found you post referring to servo's etc confusing, but as JC said, it sounds like you need a new rack.  Also I would change the rack first as if it is bent and leaking it could be putting excessive load on the pump which would cause a whine, as would low fluid /air in system.

Maybe others with less knowledge than us were equally as confused  Huh  

As has been said plenty of other forums take forever and a day, and often you don't get replies.  Sad  

IMHO I dont think negative criticism is a help to the cause either.    NoNo

Regards Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: May 16th, 2007, 7:12pm »

Hi Simon,

Im sure Highlander can answer for himself, but to let you know he is currently not on here often, as he has just started up a new business (self-employed), so thats taking up most of his time.

I suspect you are frustrated and maybe posted in anger. There are a few of us guilty of that.  Grin  

We are mostly amateurs here, trying to give help to others, but none of us "expect" perfect answers, just discussion, which points us in the right direction. Non-urgent issues often take longer to get answered.

Come back to the fold, you are welcome here, but play nice  Wink
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.