Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 12:16am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Cat removal »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Cat removal
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cat removal  (Read 626 times)
mike

1996 Cosworth

View Profile

Cat removal
« on: May 20th, 2007, 10:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I just got a pair of new cats on eBay from Germany so am in the process of dropping the old ones. Well, said process is taking a lot longer than expected! The LHS came out fine, but the RHS is putting up a fight. The three nuts have been removed, the flange dropped about a quarter of an inch but it will go no further.  I am able to move it in all directions (except down!) so I am dumbfounded. I don't want to use too much force for fear of breaking one of the (thin) ears on the manifold.
Any advice? I would prefer to leave the manifold in place as I have no source for new gaskets.
Cheers,
Mike  
IP Logged
Danny

View Profile Email

Re: Cat removal
« Reply #1 on: May 20th, 2007, 1:41pm »

Hi Mike, from experience of the RHS Cat I have had to remove the manifold, you can get to the bolts a little easier. Also, you can use heat to try a losen the bolt.

HTH

Cheers

Dan
IP Logged

ex 1996 24v Cosworth
Now - Mondeo ST TDCI (Sat Nav Built-in/Bluetooth/Voice Control/Xenons/DeCat/Bluefin Remap @ 190bhp)
granorpio

1998 Silver Facelift Cosworth

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 20th, 2007, 4:13pm »

Are you removing the original Ford cats or after market ones  Huh  
The set up is different for non geninue cats as they have no studs on them. There is one stud (nearest the engine) which is attached to the manifold and is re-used whilst the other holes which would have had the studs on the cats are simply replaced with a nut and bolt.

I found that to assist in dropping the RH side it became a good idea to also do an oil change, for with the oil filter removed it made a clear path for it to drop unhindered.  

REMEMBER: REMEMBER: REMEMBER: REMEMBER: REMEMBER: REMEMBER: REMEMBER: REMEMBER: REMEMBER: REMEMBER: REMEMBER: REMEMBER: REMEMBER: REMEMBER:
To insert the fire ring gasket between the cat and the manifold before refitting.  

Also make sure you paste a plenty when inserting the cats into the flexy pipes. If you don't like me you will have to remove the flexies from the centre box and re-do the seal (next week), other than that it means dropping the the cats' again and doing it all over again.   Angry

Hope this helps

Mike
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 20th, 2007, 6:09pm »

When you say right hand side do you meen on the right when looking into the engine bay? If so there are four bolts on mine.
This does not realy help with getting them off, but if you intend to use assembly paste on the manifold flange do so sparingly as if any of it finds its way into the cat it won't last long.
Personaly I prefer not to use any engine side of the cats. If you get the gasket spot on central you should be okay.
IP Logged
mike

1996 Cosworth

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 20th, 2007, 7:02pm »

It took a fair amount of not so gentle persuasion but that's it, cat is finally out! Smiley
The cause of my difficulties was immediately obvious: these are original Ford with two studs attached. The top nuts had been an absolute p*ig to remove, I had to use tremendous force on a long breaker bar, stripping the threads but also bending the studs in the process, and that's what caused it to jam . I would have been better off if the studs had just sheared off.
By the way the new cats are aftermarket but come with studs like the original. There is no way I am going to use the type of self locking (?) nuts that Ford originally installed though. I feel lucky I was able to remove them at all! Replacement will be regular nuts with lockwashers and copper grease on the threads.
But that will be next week-end's task.
Thanks to all for your advice!
Cheers,
Mike

PS: RHS is starboard Wink
IP Logged
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: May 21st, 2007, 4:00pm »

Quote:
PS: RHS is starboard  

Agree

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.