Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 26th, 2024, 10:30pm

Balance: £22.25
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Heating and Air Con Problem »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: Baz, admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo)
   Heating and Air Con Problem
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Heating and Air Con Problem  (Read 659 times)
josswallace

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

Heating and Air Con Problem
« on: May 21st, 2007, 10:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have not been able to get enough heat into the car and as the input and output pipes to the heater matrix seem hot when the car is warm was advised by the list to try the air con reset procedure.

This proved a nightmare as it did not work and I have the 1995 12 valve with the SATC and sesor that needed changing. I have now managed to fit a brand new sensor and a second hand SATC and have successfully run the reset procedure.

Unfortunately I can still not get enough heat through the system.

What else could I try
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

Re: Heating and Air Con Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 21st, 2007, 11:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You probably need to bleed your cooling system, preferably with the car facing uphill, so that any air locks migrate to the top of the system.

Also, on a car of this age, the thermostat is always likely to be old (if there's one there at all). Worth checking/ replacing.  Wink
IP Logged
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: May 21st, 2007, 4:24pm »

Hi,  

I know you don't wanna hear this but even if both in and out pipes are hot, it could still very well be a blocked heater matrix.  Cry

Very common problem on these cars and the only true cure is to pull the dash etc out and fit a new one.

There are those who will say complete dash removal is not neccessary, but IMHO having done many more than one of these, it is the easiest, nicest and tidiest way to do the job.  

When the heater box is on the bench you can check all the flaps and servo motors etc to make sure it's all working properly before you refit it with new matrix in.   Wink

Forget all the so called "easy fixes" like kettle de-scaler cooling system flusher etc, they are a waste of money and only provide a short term solution if any at all.  Wink

Sorry if that sounds very harsh but I've done about 5 of these now and we've "been there done that got the T shirt"  etc etc  Grin

The only proper cure is a matrix change...... about 100 quid for the matrix at FMD, and around 6 - 7 hours to fit it.  

Good luck and Regards  

Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 22nd, 2007, 10:31am »

Hi there.... re - the matrix, the inlet & outlet pipes should both be very hot & the same temp. If the outlet is cooler than the inlet, then you probably have a restricted flow through the matrix.

I tend to agree with Dave, that long term, the only sure way is to replace the matrix...but as you say, the pipes are still hot, then I think it's worth trying to flush it first.

Try one of the various cooling system flushes in the system first...Wynns, Holts etc, then drain the system & pull off the matrix pipes at the engine ends & flush the matrix with a hose pipe, backwards & forwards a few times...this may clear it.

Then flush the rest of the system with the hose before reconnecting the matrix pipes, to make sure no more grot can get into the matrix  Wink

Hopefully this will get the heat back, maybe not long term, but it's still worth a try  Wink

I'll have to admit though, I did try all this on mine last year & the heat wouldn't last more than a few days, so I had to replace the matrix....& it's been fine ever since  Smiley
IP Logged
Dave2302

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: May 22nd, 2007, 7:50pm »

Quote:
I'll have to admit though, I did try all this on mine last year & the heat wouldn't last more than a few days,

Agree

That was why I said got the T shirt etc  ROFL

We did all that to 2 different cars and as JC says in the end we bit the bullet, and the long term effect, especially over the last winter has been fantastic.  Most of the ones I've done are "In our family" or local people and I have had great feedback from them  Wink

Regards Dave

IP Logged

josswallace

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: May 23rd, 2007, 9:56am »

Dave.......how do I kow its not the thermostat say, before I have a major jo like replacing the matrix done.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 23rd, 2007, 11:01am »

If the thermostat was faulty then it wouldn't be opening & shutting at the right times & this would cause the temp guage to behave a bit erratic  Smiley

So if the engine temp is nice & hot & the temp guage stays constant (in the middle), then the matrix pipes should be nice & hot (you shouldn't be able to grip them for very long)....any difference in the temp of the inlet & outlet pipes means a matrix restriction or possible airlock  Wink

Have you tried bleeding any air out of the system ?....the matrix can suffer from airlocks, especially if there is a leak anywhere  Smiley
IP Logged
Dave2302

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: May 23rd, 2007, 8:25pm »

Hi,

As JC said, if the temp gauge stays in the middle, the stat should be OK.

I'll tell you how to PROVE it is a blocked Matrix, warm up your engine first, then park up with engine running.....
Switch the blower control to off and turn the temperatures to Max.  Run the engine at 1500 revs for one minute, then switch the blower on.  You should get a puff of warm air from the vents which will get quickly cooler and cooler, switch off the blower and repeat and the same should happen.  

This is a sure sign the Matrix is blocked, insufficient circulation means it cannot transfer enough latent heat to cope with the airflow !

Regards Dave
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.