Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 10:28pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« at the end of my teather please help »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   at the end of my teather please help
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: at the end of my teather please help  (Read 2953 times)
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

Re: at the end of my teather please help
« Reply #40 on: Jun 23rd, 2007, 6:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

they are just a plug in unit... dunno if they need to be set up proper thoughHuh
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #41 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 12:52am »

Hi, unfortunately no, you can't just plug another PATS in, otherwise anyone with a spare PATS could drive off with your motor! It needs to be programmed correctly. Have you checked http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/pats.htm to make sure the PATS is working correctly, is it flashing any fault code at you? Is it flashing at all?!!

What happened in the first place to make the car faulty? What have you checked/replaced so far?

Have you checked it with an OBD lead connected? The 8v is similar in it's diagnostics and sensors to the other 4 pots, only difference is the number of valves Smiley Even the coil packs are electrically the same, it's just that on the 16 valvers the 2 coil packs are glued together in one big lump, so, as suggested, it's unlikely that both coil packs have failed. Unlikely that either one has failed catastrophically really. The EDIS module could be a likely candidate but I haven't had any trouble with one before and haven't bothered to investigate it's workings.

I would suggest the PATS is the first thing to check followed by OBD diags looking at each sensor in turn.

Good luck,
Graham
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #42 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 2:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Have you looked at the ECU. It's under the glovebox, held in by a simple drop down tray. It's a five minute job to check it. Water can get into them, via the loom behind the battery.

Disconnect the plug, (10mm spanner) and check the pins for any sign of water damage. Failure of the ECU, or simple bad connections could well cause your problem.  Wink
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #43 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 6:15pm »

I still think this is some kind of either cam sensor or PATS issue, we still don't know whether you had this issue before you had the new key programmedHuh
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
mrgraves

View Profile

« Reply #44 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 7:11pm »

yeah the problem occurred before i lost my keys and had them programmed as for the pats the light stays on for a sec and then turns off once they key has been in for a few secs.
The AA checked for errors on the OBD and it came up blank so nothing is stored in memory

i will check for water dam as we did find ingress to the fusebox and it my of travelled further then.

also i have a mobile mechanic coming round on saturday who reckons he can diagnose for me (30quid for the pleasure which aint bad really)

will keep you guys posted thanks for the suggestions

Cheesy
IP Logged

2.0 8v ghia
mrgraves

View Profile

« Reply #45 on: Jun 30th, 2007, 2:27pm »

some people are are pain ive waited all week for this guy to come take a look at the car he turned up this morn went hmmm said he had no idea and ask for 35 quid for the pleasure (to be told very promtly to sling his hook)

anybody know a good garage or mobile mechanic in birmingham?
IP Logged

2.0 8v ghia
mrgraves

View Profile

« Reply #46 on: Jun 30th, 2007, 5:58pm »

just spotted something else.. when the key is in the ignition the oil can light stays on
anybody know what this means (oil level appears to be fine)

thanks
IP Logged

2.0 8v ghia
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #47 on: Jun 30th, 2007, 11:51pm »

Low oil pressure (which is normal when the engine and oil pump isn't running)
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
mrgraves

View Profile

« Reply #48 on: Jul 1st, 2007, 2:23am »

ahh ok thanks just wanted to check  Grin
IP Logged

2.0 8v ghia
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #49 on: Jul 1st, 2007, 2:39am »

Loom/fusebox damage, that's all I can think of Undecided

No spark and no fuel can only be so many things, take a look through Highlander/Alastair's thread. Sometimes the bigger the fault, the simpler the cure, sounds like a major electrical gremlin to me.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
mrgraves

View Profile

« Reply #50 on: Jul 2nd, 2007, 7:39pm »

Ok i have finally decided to throw the gloves in and get rid of my beloved scorp its not  
that i want to just a case of need to.
thanks to all who have taken the time to give advice and a special thanks to matt for spending a day trying to figure the problem out with me

will post in the sales section with details

Cry
IP Logged

2.0 8v ghia
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #51 on: Jul 2nd, 2007, 8:00pm »

Sorry to hear that, I have been reading the thread but haven't really anything to add. Except 1 possibilty - it may be worth changing the spark plugs if they are not recent replacements. I have heard of some cars, 2.0 Fords actually, that suddenly won't start for this reason  Huh Odd but true.
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
mrgraves

View Profile

« Reply #52 on: Jul 2nd, 2007, 8:36pm »

thanks for the tip dave but unfortunately there is no charge from the coils to power the spark plugs the problem seems to occur before reaching them
IP Logged

2.0 8v ghia
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #53 on: Jul 2nd, 2007, 8:50pm »

The symptoms you describe do sound like a problem with the crank sensor - the fuel pump will run for a short while but if the ECU doesn't detect an attempt to start the engine it will shut it off.  Also, without a valid input from the sensor the ECU will have no way of determining ignition timing so there'll be no sparks.  Of course, there's not likely to be a fault code recorded either as it has no way of knowing that the engine should be running!  If you've got access to an oscilloscope then try taking a reading of the output at the ECU end (it may be a loom fault between the sensor and ECU) whilst the engine is cranking.  Without knowing the results of this test I'm afraid we're stabbing in the dark.

Darren
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #54 on: Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:40pm »

AFAIK, if it goes open or short circuit, it'll set a code...at least it does on the Jag, Ford should be similar.

If there's no spark you need to check if you're getting positive feed to the coils (they should be negative switched through the EDIS), if no pos feed you're looking for a loom/fuse/relay. If pos feed is there, it's EDIS, PATS crank sensor etc.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.