Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 2:21am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« TD alternator oil pipe leak »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   TD alternator oil pipe leak
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: TD alternator oil pipe leak  (Read 385 times)
chriscliff

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

TD alternator oil pipe leak
« on: Jun 11th, 2007, 12:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have an oil leak from the small drum shaped device fitted on the pipe from the back of the alternator. Does anyone know what this is and how it seals? You can pull off the cap easily and inside is a piece of foam plastic with a small hole underneath from where the oil is presumably coming. No obvious method of sealing the cap, in fact it doesn't seem designed to seal. Any ideas?
Much thanks!
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

Re: TD alternator oil pipe leak
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11th, 2007, 9:36pm »

The drum on the back of the alternator is the vacuum pump to power the brake servo - it has a narrow oil feed pipe going into the centre of the backplate, a large oil drain pipe leading into the sump, and a quick-release vacuum outlet (inlet?)

The pump is held to the alternator by three bolts, and a further three bolts hold the backplate to the body, with an O ring seal between them, and a conventional oil seal on the alternator output shaft itself.  Inside the pump is a machined circular block with four thick channels cut into it at an angle - four plastic vanes fit loosely in these channels and are flung outwards against the inside of the body by centrifugal force and oil pressure.  The circular block is offset so that it is closer towards the top of the body than the bottom, and the vanes slide in and out of their channels to take up the varying clearance as it rotates.

Not sure what part you mean, but it could be the air filter/oil trap in the vacuum line itself, in which case it should (from memory) be a sealed unit.  Can you post a photo?

Darren
IP Logged
chriscliff

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: TD alternator oil pipe leak
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12th, 2007, 11:56am »

Hi Darren This is actually a small drun-shaped device along the length of the small oil pipe from the alternator. There are actually 2 similar looking devices on the pipe - this one is nearest the alternator. The second drum also weeps oil slightly but I think I have cured that with a bit of Hylomar.
This alternator oil system pipe is actually a bit of a disaster area as the large oil pipe also leaks from the connection with the alternator, despite me fitting a new hose clip.
I have some photos which it looks like will be much easier to send by normal email if you send me your address. Mine is chocksaway@talktalk.net .
Thanks
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.