Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 6:28pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« White smoke and engine problems »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   White smoke and engine problems
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: White smoke and engine problems  (Read 693 times)
Paul_Scorpio

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

White smoke and engine problems
« on: Jun 14th, 2007, 12:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I bought a Ford 2.5TD Estate in October 2006. The car has worked well until now although the AC warning light has been showing for say 4/5 months. The warning light would come on and then go out now and then. I thought the AC needed regassing as everything else is working ok. But three days ago while sat in traffic I noticed more smoke than normal from the exhaust and the car appeared to loose power. And both the engine and gear stick now vibrates more than usual. I don’t know why?  

I’ve read the pages on this website (which are very helpful). I’ve removed the air filter and the car runs better, but doesn’t solve the problem. Could it be that the MAF (air flow sensor) needs to be cleaned or changed? Or could the problem be with the injectors or pistons?  

I don’t have much money to spend on the car. Can anyone suggest what the problem is? Am I on the right lines? Advice gratefully received.  

Also does anyone know of a good, garage with experience of servicing Ford Scorpios’ in South West London? I am in Putney, SW15.  

Cheers, Paul
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: White smoke and engine problems
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14th, 2007, 1:22pm »

Could it be that your AC pump has seized ?  Smiley
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 14th, 2007, 1:36pm »

on Jun 14th, 2007, 12:21pm, Paul_Scorpio wrote:
I bought a Ford 2.5TD Estate in October 2006. The car has worked well until now although the AC warning light has been showing for say 4/5 months. The warning light would come on and then go out now and then. I thought the AC needed regassing as everything else is working ok. But three days ago while sat in traffic I noticed more smoke than normal from the exhaust and the car appeared to loose power. And both the engine and gear stick now vibrates more than usual. I don’t know why?  

I’ve read the pages on this website (which are very helpful). I’ve removed the air filter and the car runs better, but doesn’t solve the problem. Could it be that the MAF (air flow sensor) needs to be cleaned or changed? Or could the problem be with the injectors or pistons?  

I don’t have much money to spend on the car. Can anyone suggest what the problem is? Am I on the right lines? Advice gratefully received.  

Also does anyone know of a good, garage with experience of servicing Ford Scorpios’ in South West London? I am in Putney, SW15.  

Cheers, Paul

hi there

re the a/c warning light. there is no a/c waning light, just an on indicator. where did you see a light? on the dash?

re the smoke/vibration. could be lots of things. 1 of the 4 head gaskets could be blown for example.

get back to us about the light. we have a few td owners who might know more.

hth
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 14th, 2007, 3:30pm »

The white smoke sounds to me like the cylinder head gasket, when mine went it produced that much steam from the exhaust I was worried about the visibility on the motorway and other drivers, (M5) it took a while to clear too.  Maybe it isn't blown quite as bad as mine was but it would certainly fit all the symptoms if only 1 pot was effected..... Sorry Undecided

No but it could be, couldn't it?

Huh

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Paul_Scorpio

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 15th, 2007, 10:47am »

Wouldn't a head gasket be expensive to fix?

Could a seized AC pump affect the car in such a way to generate white smoke etc?

And the light in fact was the low temperature coolant gauge, but the water levels are ok!
IP Logged
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 15th, 2007, 11:56am »

just to add a touch of hope, my (admittedly petrol) cossie started producing lots of smelly white smoke, and juddering with power loss. turned out it was a spark plug disintegrating, simple fix. worth getting all the basics checked before you start considering the worst  Wink
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.