Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 7:23pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« no electrics »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   no electrics
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: no electrics  (Read 509 times)
dca

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

no electrics
« on: Jun 16th, 2007, 10:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi, i have 2.3 l 16 v scorpio ultima and NO ELECTRICS  
HAVE checked battery  & terminals seem ok .any ideas plse. david a  

PLSE. SEE REPLY BELOW FROM DCASVW MY SCORP IS STILL GOING FINE (KEEPING OUT THE RAIN 'TILL GET THE BATTERY TRAY  & ECU PINS LOOKED AT) Wink Wink
IP Logged
v4-max aka Cheekyboy1

focus cc  mk3 mondeo 2.0 auto cbx750 vt600

View Profile Email

Re: no electrics
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16th, 2007, 11:50am »

check all fuses on battery side fusebox, due to the recent inclement weather conditions the fuse box may have got damp, and blown the fuses.
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 16th, 2007, 12:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Have you got a battery cover, and covers over ALL of your fuse boxes?

Also check the OTHER ends of your battery connections for security, particularly the Earth strap is firmly bolted on. There's also a small black wire which must be connected  to the battery, have you forgotten it?

HERE     See the last bit of advice on this page.

Also go under your glove box, and make sure that the multi plug going into your ECU is secure and that the pins are dry.
You'll need a 10mm spanner to remove the plug.
If water has gone down the back of the battery through the large grommet on thre bulkhead, it will trickle down and short out the pins on the ECU.  

Max has already dealt with the possible fuse issues, so hopefully you'll be able to diagnose the problem now.  Wink
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 16th, 2007, 4:50pm »

No electrics at all? nothing?
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 17th, 2007, 11:51pm »

If you've got a multimeter or test lamp then you can find where the power goes to before it stops.  It's almost certainly getting to the alternator and starter.  Make sure you connect the black lead (or earth lead of lamp) direct to the battery negative terminal first, then repeat with it connected to the body as it may be an earth fault.

The other possibility is a badly broken battery which shows a voltage across the terminals - until you put any kind of load on it then it drops right down.  You can tell by measuring the terminal voltage with the ignition off, then when turned on.

Darren
IP Logged
dcasvw

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 5:26pm »

i had green flag man out for a look . he pronounced battery flat  & jump started the car which has been ok since!!!
he was not sure about battery or alternator being faulty so i went to a "lucas depot " in  yeovil  uk & they pronounced both o k .
my guess is battery was drained by a "watery fault" after car was out in some bad weather.
 that suggestion about water shorting the ecu sounds interesting passengers have mentioned the odd splash on there legs !!
anyway scorp is back in the garage keeping dry we made it back home to france  
despite the b ....wet weather you guys gave us during the last two weeks.  
thnks for all help as ever impressed with response
IP Logged
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 10:06pm »

keep your eye on that passenger water leak, when mine went (big hole under the battery), soaked ECU and PCM, finally fixed (bodged) and working for a few months, but got myself another damp ecu last week..... the problem will only get worse  Wink when i get mine working again, its going in a plastic bag !!
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 10:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
that suggestion about water shorting the ecu sounds interesting passengers have mentioned the odd splash on there legs !!

Don't ignore this. Water gets behind the battery where there is a large grommet. It then travels down the loom (above the the front footwell), into the ECU plug. The pins in the ECU are quite delicate, so my advice would be to remove this plug ASAP, and give all the pins a VERY GENTLE clean, and then seal the plug back in with a good spray of silicone to keep water away in future.

Checking the ECU is a ten minute job. It sits in a drop down tray just under the glovebox, and you'll need a 10mm spanner to remove the plug. Once done, it will be obvious if water has got into it. If so, you need to deal with it , or it could well cost you another ECU in due course.

This was mine about a year ago. I was lucky enough to get a spare one from another member. Wink You can see where corrosion had started along the bottom side of the ECU pins. Green oxidisation had started to actually damage two pins which were loose as a result.

If you HAVE got this problem, then you need to re-seal the grommet behind the battery.  Remember to clean the pins and socket plug GENTLY........they are quite easy to damage. Make sure that the battery is disconnected when you do it, you don't want to short out anything.  Shocked

Welcome to the site.  Wink
IP Logged
mikesmount

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 8:43pm »

I have twice had a total electrical failure ... once in Normandy, when I sat in the car paralysed with fright about getting home again.  Tried again in ten minutes, and everything came back on.

The second time was today.  Nothing at all worked, although a few minutes before all was fine.  But my son-in-law and I had been working on the car, and I concluded that it thought it was being stolen and had immobilised itself.

With a computer I would have done a hard reset, so we disconnected the battery for a few minutes, then connected up again.  Everything was back!  

There is nothing wrong with battery, alternator or anything else much.  I think it is a software problem.

But what di I know? Huh
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.