Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 1:25pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« lpg »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   lpg
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: lpg  (Read 2053 times)
elmfield

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

lpg
« on: Jun 24th, 2007, 11:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

got a 2.9 ultima estate lpg , only getin 75 mile for a tenner on gas . is that gud or bad . wud luv 2 hear wat others are getin
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: lpg
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25th, 2007, 6:38am »

hi there

i get 19-21mpg around town and upto 28mpg on the motoway. same as if it was on petrol.

i work it out that you're getting about 17mpg (aroung town?)
75 miles from 4.4 gallons (50p per litre x £10 = 20 litres. 0.22 x 20 = 4.4 gallons) = 17mpg.

check everything's working ok. tyre pressure, brakes, etc.

if it's an older lpg system (single point), then 17mpg around town is not too bad.

hth
remember if cost of lpg is lower, then mpg is lower also.
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 25th, 2007, 8:46am »

'if cost of lpg is lower , then mpg is lower also' Huh?
you would have to run that one past me.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
scorpius new

I love Scorpio's

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 25th, 2007, 11:23am »

that sounds daft to me, if lpg is less all that would mean is it would cost less. how would it mean getting less mpg!!!! it wouldnt Shocked
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 25th, 2007, 1:25pm »

I know what he means Grin

If the cost of the LPG is less, then it costs less to run the car, ie. I spend about £22 a fortnight on LPG so if I were running on petrol it would cost more than double that.  I get probably the same MPG from gas as I do petrol, hence a lot cheaper to run.... and a lot more healthier for the car as well cos the oil lasts longer... However, like has been said, if the system the Elmfield has is the old single point system as opposed to the sequential system then it will not be as efficient... Sad

Price of LPG at the mo is 42p per litre
Price of petrol 95/96p per litre

hope this is clear...

Pete

IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
elmfield

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 25th, 2007, 5:12pm »

thanx
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 25th, 2007, 5:51pm »

hi there

it's all in the sums!! Grin

lpg at 50p/lt x £10 = 20lt. x 0.22 = 4.4 gallon
lpg at 43p/lt x £10 = 23.25lt x 0.22 = 5.11 gallon

so if the cost of lpg is lower and if you still use £10 worth, then you're doing less mpg because you get more lpg for your money!!

hope that explains it a bit better. it was early, you know! Roll Eyes Smiley
IP Logged
elmfield

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 25th, 2007, 11:22pm »

what does the 0.22 number stand for
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 6:37am »

hi there

0.22 x whatever amount of litres is the way to find out how many gallons you have.

hth
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 8:38am »

sorry mpg is the same what ever price you pay for fuel, no matter how much you have. ie 3 gals lasts 60 miles thats 20 mpg or 5 gals lasts 100 miles still 20 mpg.
what you actually get with lpg is more miles per £ of fuel. thats where the saving comes from.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 1:45pm »

or divide by 4.54............
IP Logged

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 6:20pm »

on Jun 26th, 2007, 8:38am, martin_rowe wrote:
sorry mpg is the same what ever price you pay for fuel, no matter how much you have. ie 3 gals lasts 60 miles thats 20 mpg or 5 gals lasts 100 miles still 20 mpg.
what you actually get with lpg is more miles per £ of fuel. thats where the saving comes from.

hi martin

if you go back to the first post, you'll see the question was how far a lpg car got for £10 worth of gas, the variable being the cost of lpg. if he had stated ' for 5 gallon of gas, etc,' then it would have made things simplier, i think. Roll Eyes Grin

i know what i mean, anyway! Tongue ROFL

regards
andrew

IP Logged
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 9:17pm »

Hi Elmfield,
I get about 90 - 100 miles on £10 of gas (43p/litre) in my 2.0l Transit which struggles to make 20mpg. I would expect you to get a bit more than 75 miles but it depends a lot on the system you're using (gas fed up the inlet type or sequential injection type) and how you drive! Does it drive ok on petrol and are you getting reasonable mpg on petrol? If not then the car needs sorting (air filter?). If its ok then the LPG system needs tuning.
Good luck,
Graham
IP Logged
elmfield

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 2:37pm »

thnx graham
IP Logged
elmfield

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 2:42pm »

wen ime running on gas my petrol consumption is still gettin used as well . say i put £20 gas in , i still have 2 put £10 petrol in , and there more or less both empty at the same time . is that normal?
IP Logged
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Jun 28th, 2007, 12:44am »

It depends on how many times you start the car. What I mean is do you do lots of short journeys or 1 or 2 long 30 to 40 mile journeys for your 75 miles.  
The car will start on petrol and, when it's warmed up a bit it will change over to the gas. So, if your 75 miles is made up of 25 journeys of 3 miles each you're probably doing half on petrol and half on gas. So, yes, it could be normal!!
IP Logged
elmfield

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jun 28th, 2007, 10:53pm »

thnx graham , in that case the gas idea is no cheaper than petrol alone . goin 2 chris at autogas next week 2 get it sorted . if still no gud its goin and ime goin bak to derv
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Jun 29th, 2007, 6:45am »

Cheesy

Hi Graham,
The idea of converting to gas and to get the full benefits you have to get used to the idea that LPG is you first and main fuel, you should only keep a minimal amount of petrol in the tank as a backup and for the initial startup.    
Mine runs on petrol for about 500 metres then switches over, I mostly use the car for local runs so I only put £20 of petrol in about 4 to 6 week intervals.    
If I were going on a long journey I would half fill the tank, (I have never had to use this up to now, and there are more and more filling points) if you leave petrol in the tank it deteriorates and becomes less volotile, it is also extra weight to be carrying.

Since converting my car which cost £2000 I have made vast savings in my fuel bills, it is more expensive to run my wifes 1.8 Focus than it is to run the Scorp.  
For my weekly running back and forth to work and local errands, days out etc I used to be putting £45-£47 PER WEEK in the tank, now it costs me between £18 and £22 per week.  
I did a trip to Bristol on two consecutive weeks, in the Focus it cost aprox £90 both ways, in the Scorp it cost aprox £38.  That is where I find my savings.

Other benefits include the fact that there is less muck getting into the engine so the oil and filter lasts longer (though we still change it regularly cos we love our Scorp) the engine seems to be running a lot perkier (although there could be a psycological aspect added to that)

In all I am more than pleased with the outcome of the conversion, when I tell them about it, people always try to work out when it will pay for itself by doing massively complicated mathmatical calculations (MCMC)  Grin  me, I don't bother, I just keep a ruedimentary observation in my mind and enjoy the benefits.

One day I may be able to convert the Focus (I will do that myself cos it dosn't look to be a really complicated thing). then we will double the benefits, in the meantime, the £2000 for mine? it's spent now, I've forgotten all about it (although at the time, it did hurt Angry )

Hope this is of help and inspires others to follow....

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Jun 29th, 2007, 7:48am »

Agree

that's why i normally have my wife's honda civic. cheaper for her to use the scorpio, now. Sad
scorpio 19/21mpg (38/42mpg on gas saving), civic 32/37mpg. all figures around town.

re the calculation. it works out at about 12/14k miles per year x 2 years to pay back the £2k. a lot less time if you're doing more miles per year (taxi for example).

IP Logged
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Jun 29th, 2007, 10:23pm »

I'm more than happy with my gas conversion, it's elmfield who's a little perturbed Undecided

However, if you think autogas is clean think again! It's pretty dirty and you really need that little filter between the tank and the reg. I cleaned out my "distributor" last year and it was filthy!

My Transit averages about 40mpg on LPG (comparing it to the cost of petrol) more than happy!! Smiley

All the best,
Graham
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.